Closing Of Threads Without Explanation?

foster

I started a thread about and for no apparent reason the thread is locked. If a topic is unfit for the board I can understand closing and deleting it. But locking threads without explanation is simply arbitrary and capricious. Should I not have mentioned juliann by name?

I started a thread about and for no apparent reason the thread is locked. If a topic is unfit for the board I can understand closing and deleting it. But locking threads without explanation is simply arbitrary and capricious. Should I not have mentioned juliann by name?

Hello Foster...

Have you read the board guidelines in full... you will probably find an answer there... I've been here since 2005 and have not found the mods to be arbitrary or capricious.

GG

All things considered I feel like we self-moderate pretty well. The mods don't tend to come down to heavily, and there's usually a warning first. I think the little that they do tends to try and maintain the unity that we all enjoy despite our theological, political or other differences.

All things considered I feel like we self-moderate pretty well. The mods don't tend to come down to heavily, and there's usually a warning first. I think the little that they do tends to try and maintain the unity that we all enjoy despite our theological, political or other differences.

Agreed but if it wasn't for the mods and the good work they do I fear that self moderation would not be as good.

They all donate their time and there is a lot of threads that get posted on the same topic...two rules to live by; don't feed the trools and honor the mods. :)
  • 3 months later...

Foster:

I have been publicly told to improve my attitude on the board or be banned from the board. However, the person who made the threat did not indentify where my attitude is lacking. In the post where I was threatened I made the following comments:

Particulare posters are off limits and are not to be challenged.

The buffet line and cafeteria is not as open as I thought.

Does it appear to me that certain posters are not to be challenged when they make statement which are not supported by facts? Yes it does appear that way. Someone made a statement that is not supportable by historical fact, I called the person on it. The person responded with a snide and childish retort which never acknowledge their unfounded statement, I reponded that their retort would be considered an admission that their original claim was unsupported by historical fact (which historical facts are found on FAIRMormon). As a result of my challenging this person,  I was banned from the thread but the other person is permitted to keep posting on that thread; despite never correcting their statement which is not supported by historical fact.

So I ask, in all sincerity, are certain posters not to be challenged? This is not the first time I have been "punished" for challenging this particular poster....so lets just be open and honest about the issue.

Does it appear that this place is a "cafeteria"? Yes it does. Is being a cafeteria a bad thing? No it is not. The posters here demonstrate a wide range of picking and choosing (even those posters associated with FAIR demonstrate this), yet all seem to participate in the Church and hold some sort of testimony.  That people can feel comfortable and acceptable in their opinions and attitudes - which are not designed to tear down the Church - is a good thing. As it makes the place welcoming.

Moderator(s):The person you are challenging is the moderation team.  You will no longer be permitted to open threads and your posts are now limited.  The next personal attack on another poster will result in banning.

Are you saying Juliann is the moderation team and I should not challenge her claims because she is the moderation team?

Or are you saying by questioning whether this place play "favorites" I am challenging the moderation team? Will the moderation team or person issue an honest statement on whether or not this message board plays favorites.

If you had only attacked one person you wouldn't be in this situation.  If you had only left this alone you wouldn't be banned for opening three threads complaining.