Permission To Drink Coffee

EllenMaksoud

Can you get a prescription from your doctor?  I think that is a decision you will have to make on your own. 

That will be really easy. The think I can not figure out is the coffee is very weak 1/2 tsp coffee, lots of creamer and 1 tsp, of brown sugar, about 1/2 cup of that and the pain is gone. It may be a combination of the creamer and sugar in warm water? It is not hot, just warm.  Another sister says that it may be thyroid issues.

You don't need the bishop's permission.   You just need to know whether your use of the stuff is approved by the Lord for you (which is likely when you are taking it for medicinal purposes and have ruled out all the other possibilities.   Because the things that are in coffee which are medicinal are pretty widely available  on their own, it might be hard to need coffee itself, though.)   

I suspect that if a dr recommends coffee and you tell him that for religious reasons you don't drink tea or coffee and what else would do what he was looking for, there will be another solution, though I have heard of coffee prescriptions for migraines, and for ADHD.

If it turns out that you do need coffee medicinally, you get the dr. to say so on paper.  You then can tell the bishop that while you are obeying the word of wisdom, your dr has told you that coffee is required for you to treat ______________.    Ask him whether that will affect your standing in the church.    There is NO chance of disciplinary action for violating the word of wisdom (so it won't affect your membership).  But a bishop could refuse to give you a temple recommend, or take yours away.   When you are taking it as a medicine for a specific purpose, I don't think most bishops would see that as a word of wisdom violation.  

That will be really easy. The think I can not figure out is the coffee is very weak 1/2 tsp coffee, lots of creamer and 1 tsp, of brown sugar, about 1/2 cup of that and the pain is gone. It may be a combination of the creamer and sugar in warm water? It is not hot, just warm.  Another sister says that it may be thyroid issues.

The unneeded calories may be of a "weightier" issue.

Edited by thesometimesaint

One thing to consider is whether caffeine is the specific ingredient that is helping you. In which case, it's pretty easy to get caffeine OTC (No-Doz or the like) and experiment with dosage. I would avoid using coffee or tea unless I was sure nothing else would work.

My grandfather had permission to drink coffee formedical purposes, so get a dr.'s note and show your bishop.

My dad drank coffee for pain too, wearing garments no less! But when he needed to renew his recommend for my wedding ceremony he was told by the bishop to go with decaf, that only lasted a short time, before he was back to full strength.

My grandfather had permission to drink coffee formedical purposes, so get a dr.'s note and show your bishop.

My dad drank coffee for pain too, wearing garments no less! But when he needed to renew his recommend for my wedding ceremony he was told by the bishop to go with decaf, that only lasted a short time, before he was back to full strength.