rameumptom Posted March 1, 2013 Posted March 1, 2013 (edited) I had a nice experience with the nice Dr Peterson-identical-twin when he visited in Indianapolis recently. I'm glad the mean, vile hack twin did not show up, as he would have truly ruined the overall experience for me.... Edited March 1, 2013 by rameumptom 2
Darren10 Posted March 1, 2013 Posted March 1, 2013 (edited) SELF DELETED SAME POST Edited March 1, 2013 by Darren10
Darren10 Posted March 1, 2013 Posted March 1, 2013 Building off a memorable Mormon commercial ad, I can say exactly why Dan is vilified: ♪ ♪ “[He tells] the truuuuuuuuuuth! ♫
Darren10 Posted March 1, 2013 Posted March 1, 2013 I just had a flashback from my youth,,,,your Avatar. You must be evil. Heh!!! And how can we forget that there's a movie about how to defeat Dan Peterson.
Darren10 Posted March 1, 2013 Posted March 1, 2013 My best friend's neighbor's daughter''s cousin's sister's husband once saw Dan purposely and remorselessly run over a cute baby kitten,SO!!!It is a well known fact that he is mean spirited.Just saying.LoL. If that "rumor" were true, I would only fault Dan for not tying up the kittens legs and tossing it into a river./Juuuuust kidding. Although I'm a dog fan (have two myself), I admire cats a lot. Especially their sense of independence.
Darren10 Posted March 1, 2013 Posted March 1, 2013 I happen to like both of these men and I enjoy reading both of their writings. I also believe they are both good men and that neither one of them are mean spirited. They just disagree on many issues.Does this include calling Dan Peterson a thug? Does this include saying Dan is a bully and is mean without providing a single post where Dan was a thug, mean, or a bully? What's with people who are saying "all sides need to start being nice" or "both sides are good people"? Nobody's here denying the goodness which can be found in either Dan Peterson or John Dehlin but posts like yours seem to ignore who is attacking whom. I'm not saying you or others cannot or should not like John Dehlin but just because you or others do does not justify your apologitic remarks for John which overlook the malice which he is offers.
Darren10 Posted March 1, 2013 Posted March 1, 2013 (edited) I agree. I think many who vilify Daniel Peterson haven't even read his contributions and writings. It hasn't helped that they feel justified in their feelings after hearing of the changes at MI. I'd put most all of those who feel this way in the Dehlin camp though (or at least those who have been influenced by him).Ah, very good. I'll retract a bit some of my previous supposition. Edited March 1, 2013 by Darren10
Darren10 Posted March 1, 2013 Posted March 1, 2013 (edited) (source as above)DCP neither falls into the extreme of fundamentalism nor "cultural Mormonism", nor any other extreme position. This definition may fit him.Perhaps. This definitely does not fit Dan. mean2 /min/ [meen] Show IPAadjective, mean·er, mean·est. 1. offensive, selfish, or unaccommodating; nasty; malicious: a mean remark; He gets mean when he doesn't get his way. 2. small-minded or ignoble: mean motives. Synonyms: contemptible, despicable.3. penurious, stingy, or miserly: a person who is mean about money. Synonyms: niggardly, close, tight, parsimonious, illiberal, ungenerous, selfish.4. inferior in grade, quality, or character: no mean reward. 5. low in status, rank, or dignity: mean servitors. Synonyms: common, humble; undignified, plebeian. Edited March 1, 2013 by Darren10
emarkp Posted March 1, 2013 Posted March 1, 2013 (edited) I haven't seen or read anything from Daniel Peterson that supports the claims that Dehlin keeps making. I want see some evidence of this mean nasty cynical Dan Peterson I keep hearing about.As far as I can tell, the reasoning goes like this:Obviously DCP is evil because he does stuff with FAIRObviously FAIR is evil because evil DCP associates with themIt doesn't seem to go deeper than that. Edited March 1, 2013 by emarkp 1
volgadon Posted March 2, 2013 Posted March 2, 2013 Perhaps. This definitely does not fit Dan.Yes it does. Has he given you any generous gifts of money, ever? Didn't think so. See!
Daniel Peterson Posted March 8, 2013 Posted March 8, 2013 I really do think that this cartoon is stunningly apropos:http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2013/03/a-cartoon-that-catches-the-attitude-of-some-of-my-most-vocal-critics.htmlThe people who most loudly and obsessively denounce me as mean-spirited and vicious -- sometimes frothing about it in scores of posts on that (for them) seemingly inexhaustible subject in a given week, or even on a single day -- routinely do so far more viciously and nastily than I've ever even thought of being, to anybody, anywhere, at any time, in my entire life.
Scott Lloyd Posted March 8, 2013 Posted March 8, 2013 I really do think that this cartoon is stunningly apropos:http://www.patheos.c...al-critics.htmlThe people who most loudly and obsessively denounce me as mean-spirited and vicious -- sometimes frothing about it in scores of posts on that (for them) seemingly inexhaustible subject in a given week, or even on a single day -- routinely do so far more viciously and nastily than I've ever even thought of being, to anybody, anywhere, at any time, in my entire life.I suppose when one writes or posts anonymously, the tendency is not to feel accountable for one's own hypocrisy.
Daniel Peterson Posted March 8, 2013 Posted March 8, 2013 I suppose when one writes or posts anonymously, the tendency is not to feel accountable for one's own hypocrisy.I certainly hope that these people aren't as nasty and uncharitable in their face-to-face encounters as they are while safely sniping and snarling from anonymity.(I almost said "in real life." But that's the gross fallacy: Online encounters are also "real life," and viciousness toward someone via the internet is still viciousness.)
blackstrap Posted March 8, 2013 Posted March 8, 2013 Dan, why not create a new 'personna' on line that is as nasty as the critics say you are. The release may just be cathartic ! I dare ya,I double dog dare ya !
Daniel Peterson Posted March 9, 2013 Posted March 9, 2013 LOL. I'm not sure that it would be possible for any more or less sane person to be as unremittingly nasty and unscrupulous and without redeeming value as my Malevolent Stalker pretends to think I am. But it might be fun, for at least a little while, to try. Many actors enjoy playing villains, I'm told.
Recommended Posts