"Star Of The County Down"

Moon Quaker

At another forum, a bunch of us are attempting to collaborate in recording a number of Irish tunes. A lot of tune suggestions have been made, but everything is still in the initial stages right now. "Star of the County Down" was one of my suggestions. This particular tune/song has been discussed here before. For those who don't know, it's a "cousin tune" to the "Kingsfold" tune (better know, in the LDS community, as "If You Could Hie to Kolob.")

Like Kingsfold, it is usually in 4/4. It's tends to be played upbeat; e.g.,

However, I've come to prefer the tune in 6/8 (and substantially slower; giving it a contemplative feel); e.g.,

---

So I've had my own go at it. Here it is, slowly, in 6/8 (closer-sounding in style to the second video.) It's on piano and two pennywhistles (high D and alto G.) This is just a rough preliminary recording. But if any of you (musically-inclined or not) have any suggestions and/or criticisms on what to add and/or what not to do and/or how it can be improved, I'm all ears (otherwise, I hope you enjoy it for the familiar tune that it is.) :)

Star of the County Down

Edited by Moon Quaker

At another forum, a bunch of us are attempting to collaborate in recording a number of Irish tunes. A lot of tune suggestions have been made, but everything is still in the initial stages right now. "Star of the County Down" was one of my suggestions. This particular tune/song has been discussed here before. For those who don't know, it's a "cousin tune" to the "Kingsfold" tune (better know, in the LDS community, as "If You Could Hie to Kolob.")

However, I've come to prefer the tune in 6/8 (and substantially slower; giving it a contemplative feel); e.g.,

---

So I've had my own go at it. Here it is, slowly, in 6/8 (closer-sounding in style to the second video.) It's on piano and two pennywhistles (high D and alto G.) This is just a rough preliminary recording. But if any of you (musically-inclined or not) have any suggestions and/or criticisms on what to add and/or what not to do and/or how it can be improved, I'm all ears (otherwise, I hope you enjoy it for the familiar tune that it is.) :)

Star of the County Down

Ever seen the movie "Song Catcher"? I was adopted into a very musical family...so it was not passed down in the gene pool. So I learned the poetry of the songs instead.

Ever seen the movie "Song Catcher"? I was adopted into a very musical family...so it was not passed down in the gene pool. So I learned the poetry of the songs instead.

I saw Songcatcher, loved the music, got bored to tears with the melodrama. Ballad poetry is amazing.

Here's my favorite rendition of "If You Could Hie to Kolob." (Moon Quaker, if you feel this is too much of a thread derail, I'll delete it: just ask. :))

---

Star of the County Down

By itself, the tune is nice done slow the way you did, but I think the lyrics work better as a reel (4/4) time or a slip jig (9/8 time).

Here's my favorite rendition of "If You Could Hie to Kolob." (Moon Quaker, if you feel this is too much of a thread derail, I'll delete it: just ask. :))

No, not at all. I've got this medley I often play on piano. It goes Greensleeves ---> Star of the County Down (6/8) 1 verse ---> [key change and meter change] Kingsfold (4/4) 1 verse ---> Star of the County Down (4/4) 1 verse ---> Tam Lin (aka The Glasgow Reel.)

Anyway, for the Kingsfold part of the medley, I play it very much after the style of the piano bits of the Lex de Azevedo piece (hey, I've had that Lex de Azevedo CD since 2000.)

---

While we're posting "Kingsfold"/"Star of the County Down" videos, here's a sweet medley of "Star of the County Down" (slowly) going into the aforementioned "Tam Lin" (becoming very fast and upbeat.)

(back to your regularly scheduled thread) :)

Edited by Moon Quaker

The only thing I could hope for the song...hoping I had written it. W.W. Phelps was an amazing writer!!! Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee