Rep Points

savedbygrace

You probably will think I am a bit dim but what are rep points and who gives them?who gives the profile name/descrption and what do the dots beneath the posters username represent. Sorry if this seems a bit silly, but it's aggravating me that I am in the dark. Thanks for any clarification.

The dots underneath your avatar are a graphic representation of the number of posts you have made. If you like a post, click the green arrow on the right and the poster gets a rep point. I think there is a limit to how many you can give out in a period of time, but I have never run up against it, so don't know what it is. You can see how many rep points you have by viewing your profile.

I believe contributors have 50 rep points a day to give out and the rest 10. Only a few of us are prolific in repping for some reason. Others do it here and there but most rarely or not at all, so don't feel obligated to do so

I am in sole control of rep points on this Board, and I dole them out arbitrarily and by whim!! B:)

Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah!

Well, heck ... the illusion of power is nice! ;)

I rep someone if I really agree with what they said or if they basically said what I was going to say.

You must cede your rep points to me, forthwith! B:)

Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah!

;)

Edited by Kenngo1969

You probably will think I am a bit dim but what are rep points and who gives them?who gives the profile name/descrption and what do the dots beneath the posters username represent. Sorry if this seems a bit silly, but it's aggravating me that I am in the dark. Thanks for any clarification.

You are not dim, they confused me a bit at first as well. :)

Essentially, as others have said, they are things that say people liked your post. Anybody can give them and recieve them (except mods). There are no ways to gain negative rep points, and your sum total for a certain period is located on your profile. To find out who gave you the rep points, click the number in the bottom right corner. For instance, if you check Buzzard's post, Clamoriah, Gillbere, and I have all given it rep points.

The dots below a profile picture represent the number of posts you have. They are levels of sorts. Once you pass a certain marker, you'll gain another dot. There's also a point where you get enough points to change the text above your picture as well (for example, mine says "=^..^="). I think this was around 600 or something, but I'm not quite sure.

Edited by TAO