Lindsey Stirling & Alex Boye: Grenade

Stargazer

Now this is just cool:

]

So,, this is Salt Lake City orchestra. Is it LDS? The set looked like cross between set of first "Jesus Christ Superstar, and refugee camps in Turkey. So, the Armies like to address refugees, but when will the people begin to see that every citizen needs to address these things? When will people in the West realize that they too could be living in tents at any time, like tomorrow. How many people willingly die for others. How many will not do the same for others? What does Heavenly Father think of these things. Why is it that someone who serves so hard in church and never says no to a calling is seen as special?

So,, this is Salt Lake City orchestra. Is it LDS? The set looked like cross between set of first "Jesus Christ Superstar, and refugee camps in Turkey. So, the Armies like to address refugees, but when will the people begin to see that every citizen needs to address these things? When will people in the West realize that they too could be living in tents at any time, like tomorrow. How many people willingly die for others. How many will not do the same for others? What does Heavenly Father think of these things. Why is it that someone who serves so hard in church and never says no to a calling is seen as special?

It's the Salt Lake Pops orchestra. They're not LDS, per se, but possible some members are, who knows? I posted this because I am a fan of both Alex Boye (the singer) and Lindsey Stirling (the violinist) -- both of them are definitely LDS -- and I like both of them so I posted the cool music video. The set is a defunct farm -- what you are identifying as tents are delapidated greenhouses (plastic walls). I think they picked the location for the music video for the interesting backdrop.

Are you perhaps projecting a bit, EllenMaksoud? :D The song is one of those unrequited love ballads: "Yes, I would die for ya, baby, But you won't do the same..." There's nothing poltical going on in the video or the song.

You wrote: "Why is it that someone who serves so hard in church and never says no to a calling is seen as special?" That seems a bit off-topic, actually. But whatever. I never say no to a calling, btw, and I have four of them at the moment. But nobody is seeing me as special. I do know people who are very picky about what callings they accept; church leaders do appreciate it when they can issue a calling and be confident that it will be accepted. Is there a problem about this you need to discuss?

It's the Salt Lake Pops orchestra. They're not LDS, per se, but possible some members are, who knows? I posted this because I am a fan of both Alex Boye (the singer) and Lindsey Stirling (the violinist) -- both of them are definitely LDS -- and I like both of them so I posted the cool music video. The set is a defunct farm -- what you are identifying as tents are delapidated greenhouses (plastic walls). I think they picked the location for the music video for the interesting backdrop.

Are you perhaps projecting a bit, EllenMaksoud? :D The song is one of those unrequited love ballads: "Yes, I would die for ya, baby, But you won't do the same..." There's nothing poltical going on in the video or the song.

You wrote: "Why is it that someone who serves so hard in church and never says no to a calling is seen as special?" That seems a bit off-topic, actually. But whatever. I never say no to a calling, btw, and I have four of them at the moment. But nobody is seeing me as special. I do know people who are very picky about what callings they accept; church leaders do appreciate it when they can issue a calling and be confident that it will be accepted. Is there a problem about this you need to discuss?

OH, make no mistake, I love the video, and I see it as really powerful. While I don't object, both the performers are performing in a manner I have not seen LDS in before, no objection at all. It was really moving for me. I've spent a lot of time involved in international cultures (Not Politics), and hurt deep in my soul for all those who suffer.

So, thank you for posting this, I felt it very deeply.

EllenM...

Perhaps you are not aware that Alex Boye is a member of the Mormon Tab Choir and is a featured soloist with them... he brings a particular style to the Choir when he sings his gospel songs like "Jesus Walk With Me" and several of the old fashioned spirituals. When the Choir goes on tour, he brings the house down.

I'm not familiar with Lindsey Stirling...

GG

I love Alex Boye and love his gospel songs. One of the best albums the Tabernacle Choir has made is "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" which contains gospel songs. Alex is a featured soloist on a couple of songs.

I love Alex Boye and love his gospel songs. One of the best albums the Tabernacle Choir has made is "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" which contains gospel songs. Alex is a featured soloist on a couple of songs.

I saw an interesting interview with Alex on BYU-TV... he was telling of his conversion and IIRC it was against family wishes... can't remember all the details but for a while he was practically living in his car... and he said he thought to himself, Wait a minute... I just joined the Church... things are supposed to be getting better... Then things did start getting better. I don't know how he came to be a Choir member but he did, and his talent was recognized, and the rest is history. It showed his lovely wife and children also. Such a talented person.

GG

EllenM...

Perhaps you are not aware that Alex Boye is a member of the Mormon Tab Choir and is a featured soloist with them... he brings a particular style to the Choir when he sings his gospel songs like "Jesus Walk With Me" and several of the old fashioned spirituals. When the Choir goes on tour, he brings the house down.

I'm not familiar with Lindsey Stirling...

GG

My thinking sometimes gets muddled.

According to what my wife says, my thinking is almost always muddled! She may be right.

I'm sorry. Sometimes I am just so straight laced that I even make myself miserable. I am absolutely 100% Mormon without compromise. However, as much as I liked the performance, and valued it for the deeper meaning of what he said, I am just unused to see Mormon women dressed like she was. I am 66 and completely alien to present day culture. I feel so out of place at times. The church has brought so much joy to so many, including me, but I'm a prude. If Mormons had Nuns, I would join immediately.

I saw an interesting interview with Alex on BYU-TV... he was telling of his conversion and IIRC it was against family wishes... can't remember all the details but for a while he was practically living in his car... and he said he thought to himself, Wait a minute... I just joined the Church... things are supposed to be getting better... Then things did start getting better. I don't know how he came to be a Choir member but he did, and his talent was recognized, and the rest is history. It showed his lovely wife and children also. Such a talented person.

GG

I bought one of Alex Boye's albums a couple of years ago and found it hard to listen to him -- and keep my composure. I could not listen without tears.

Here's a really nice one with Alex and a number of others. Looks like it was videoed out on the salt flats.

]

And here is Alex Boye' at his US naturalization ceremony, where he is asked by the judge to sing the National Anthem for the first time as a US citizen.

] Edited by Stargazer

I'm sorry. Sometimes I am just so straight laced that I even make myself miserable. I am absolutely 100% Mormon without compromise. However, as much as I liked the performance, and valued it for the deeper meaning of what he said, I am just unused to see Mormon women dressed like she was. I am 66 and completely alien to present day culture. I feel so out of place at times. The church has brought so much joy to so many, including me, but I'm a prude. If Mormons had Nuns, I would join immediately.

No problem! Although my impression of her outfit was that it was rather chaste, and even more so compared to the kind of dress we see on our female pop artists. As a case in point I refer you to Beyonce's performance at the Superbowl halftime this year. I couldn't watch it --- way too suggestive for me.

No problem! Although my impression of her outfit was that it was rather chaste, and even more so compared to the kind of dress we see on our female pop artists. As a case in point I refer you to Beyonce's performance at the Superbowl halftime this year. I couldn't watch it --- way too suggestive for me.

You know, it would be better if I just retracted everything I said. I wonder how many will accept that? Alex's singing is amazing. The young lady played that violin with such feeling and expertise. Those who played with them are amazing also. Perhaps it is the fact that I'm just used to very calm and reverent performances. Jenny Phillips is one of my favorites.

Who is Beyonce?

Edited by EllenMaksoud

You know, it would be better if I just retracted everything I said. I wonder how many will accept that? Alex's singing is amazing. The young lady played that violin with such feeling and expertise. Those who played with them are amazing also. Perhaps it is the fact that I'm just used to very calm and reverent performances. Jenny Phillips is one of my a

favorites.

Well, you could edit or delete your post. But this would make any responses hang in the air -- not to mention the responses that quoted your original post.

Nah, don't bother. If it embarrasses you at all, just remember that pretty much everyone here has written some things we'd like to retract. Welcome to the club! :D

Who is Beyonce?

Beyoncé is the stage name of a female singer who is current right now. One of those folks whom everyone knows by her first name only.

Actually, I am quite charmed that you don't know! The world may be saved by this fact alone. You can find out who she is HERE.

Beyoncé is a power singer. She has a great voice. She is a true "diva", whatever that is. She is also entirely worldly, and her performances (except for her performance at Barack Obama's second inauguration) are frequently suggestive and even lewd.