Lindsey Stirling: Lds Artist Of Violin, Dance, And Video

BCSpace

I have musically talented children and so this LDS artist is becoming a topic among my circle of friends and family.  The LDS Church will be hosting a video chat featuring her on Tuesday November 25th:

https://www.lds.org/church/events/live-youth-face-to-face-event-with-lindsey-stirling?lang=eng&cid=HPFR1114144782

Her work includes combining dance and video theater with her violin playing.  Here are some examples:

I must admit to enjoying these performances. Feel free to discuss this or any LDS artist or LDS art in general including any feeling as to how this kind of thing may or may not advance LDS values or causes. Is it talent, or such much fluff? Bah Humbug? Etc.

She does seem to go out of the way to promote herself, but I don't see that as a bad thing especially if you want to make a career out of something you love doing.

Edit to add:

Here is an excerpt of her page on Mormon dot org:

Why I am a Mormon

There was a time in my life when I lost all my ambition, I had no purpose, and I began to hate myself. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was an essential light in my life that helped my love myself again. I always believed that God had a plan for me but through the scriptures, through personal revelation and through the words of a living Prophet, I was able to come to know that I am a daughter of God, and that God's plan is a plan of happiness. This changed everything; I was able to discover my passions, I regained a desire, a desire to do... anything again, and I found the happiness that I had forgotten I could feel. I am grateful for the Book of Mormon and I know that it is true. When I read it I feel good, and I am more at peace. I have found answers to important personal questions and it has helped me come closer to my Jesus Christ. Aside, from my faith, when I live the standards of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints I am a happier and I can't deny that. When the "important" things in life weigh me down or scare me, I am so grateful that I can go to the temple, that I can pray or read my scriptures and I am reminded of what is really important. In a world where everything is changing the God has given us something to cling to; he hasn't left us here alone.

How I live My Faith

The music industry has a set of standards of its own. I cannot count the number of times I have been offered drugs backstage, or invited to participate in a number of other activities that could harm me or others. I live the gospel every day as I make decisions that help me stay true to my standards. I am a touring musician and I love that there is a clean, drug free, respectful and safe atmosphere on my tour bus. I've heard horror stories about the touring life and the awful drama that automatically is incurred. However, because the standards that have been set for my tour, there is no drama, and we have all become best friends that are having the time of our lives. Where ever I am at in the world, I can find an LDS Church to attend on Sunday and it makes me feel like I am back home.

http://www.mormon.org/lindsey

She has a very inspiring story, as well.  I'm not sure if she struggled with anorexia, per se, or simply more common body image and depression issues.  But in one video I've seen of her (it may have been part of the "I'm a Mormon" campaign; I'm not sure) she refers obliquely to her struggles and credits the Atonement with helping her find more balance in her life.  Not only a very talented young lady, but also a very inspiring one for reasons having nothing to do with her talent, and a credit to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. :)  My $0.02.

She has a very inspiring story, as well.  I'm not sure if she struggled with anorexia, per se, or simply more common body image and depression issues.  But in one video I've seen of her (it may have been part of the "I'm a Mormon" campaign; I'm not sure) she refers obliquely to her struggles and credits the Atonement with helping her find more balance in her life.  Not only a very talented young lady, but also a very inspiring one for reasons having nothing to do with her talent, and a credit to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. :)  My $0.02.

Very interesting. I'll have to read up on it.

She's also served a mission as well:

Stirling attended Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah to study film making.[12] She went on to perform missionary work in New York City for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.[72][73] A story that she wrote about her mission was later published in the compilation Do Not Attempt in Heels: Mission Stories and Advice from Sisters Who've Been There.[74] Stirling returned home to Provo in 2009 to continue studying at BYU. She then moved back to Arizona, in December 2012, to be with her family. She resides in Los Angeles.[75]

For a short time she dated film maker Devin Graham who had attended the same university and church.[76] The two began dating shortly after the filming of Crystallize and Graham moved to Utah.[77][78] The two have since ended their relationship.[78]

Stirling has publicly spoken about her battle with anorexia. She discovered her disorder while working for a treatment centre for troubled girls. Stirling said in an interview with Good Morning America, that her song "Shatter Me" was "actually my story of overcoming my eating disorder".[79] The cover art of the album is a reference to her struggle which showcases a "seemingly perfect-looking ballerina standing in the middle of a cracked glass globe".[80] In 2013, Stirling was featured by the LDS Church in its "I'm a Mormon" campaign in which she spoke openly about how her faith helped in her battle during high school and college.[12][77]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindsey_Stirling

Feel free to discuss this or any LDS artist or LDS art in general including any feeling as to how this kind of thing may or may not advance LDS values or causes. Is it talent, or such much fluff? Bah Humbug? Etc.

I think the biggest benefit is that our kids can have artists to look up to who share their values.  My son (a pianist and instrumental music lover) really enjoys Lindsey Stirling's music.

It was great for kids to watch David Archuleta on American Idol and then have him go serve a mission.

And, since I mentioned Archuleta, I'd also like to mention the LDS artist:  Stephanie Mabey.  She actually wrote and originally performed the song "Glorious" that Archuleta covered for Meet the Mormons.  If you like that song, I'd strongly encourage you to listen to Mabey's original version.

Archived