Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

When is Sorenson's "Mormon's codex" going to be publish?? News??

SInce Sorenson completed it last year, I would say sometime during 2012, but that is just a guess.

Edited by Robert F. Smith
  • 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

My father, John L. Sorenson, submitted his Mormon's Codex manuscript to the Maxwell Institute in February of 2010. It appears that they are still not done with their editorial work and reference checking. My father recently emailed MI regarding the extended time frame, in which he said, "I am beginning to appreciate the meaning of 'eternal progression.'" From very recent emails it's suggested that "it will be ready to send to Deseret Book in the fall, sometime between September and November, depending mainly on external factors (authorial review, possible revisions, permissions, cover art, etc.)"

I am personally preparing all of the dozen or so maps for the book, by the way.

I'll check with my father about the possibility of sharing a peek or two at some of the textual material and graphics, if anyone is interested.

Edited by cursor
Posted
"I am beginning to appreciated the meaning of 'eternal progression.'"
What a great sense of humour.
Posted

That''s for sure!

Regarding "authorial review," he's turning around each chapter that they send to him in a day or two's time. His latest word is, "This will be the major round of editing of the text,although I will want to re-check the whole thing, when maps and illustrations are in place, one final time. There are still chapters 17-26 to be edited in this round, some of which are quite long."

Posted (edited)

88 years old, and still offering unique, prime material. It's a joy to interface with him on at least a weekly basis.

Edited by cursor
Posted

That is wonderful. I think having real work to do for others is one thing that helps us extend our lives and the quality of them. And his work is so very meaningful to so many. I hope he has many, many years left to give us new material even if he says this is the last (for now...crossing fingers hopefully).

Posted

Actually, the two of us have very recently been discussing the possibility of doing a Mormon's Atlas. Our current outline identifies 42 distinct maps.

Posted

My father forwarded an email to me that he'd written to a "young Ph.D, in Mesoamerican studies." In it he referenced his Mormon's Codex work.

My forthcoming book' date=' Mormon’s Codex (in prolonged editing at Maxwell Institute; I hope it will appear in print shortly after the first of the year), will be my ultimate contribution to presenting and establishing truth in relation to the scripture. It will establish that nearly 400 “correspondences” are found between Mormon’s volume and the scholarly literature on Mesoamerica (based on a 133-page bibliography). The book will be bulky, of course (hence the lengthy editorial process). It will represent (almost) all the truth I have been able to establish in my scholarly effort. I believe it will establish beyond reasonable question to both Latter-day Saints and non-LDS scholars as well that Joseph Smith had in his possession, and translated, a Mesoamerican codex written by Mormon in the late fourth century AD. I do not directly comment much on alternative “theories” of how the text of the scripture came to be; I simply, straightforwardly lay out what the text tells me: Joseph had a codex written on metal plates. There is no other explanation for the “Mesoamericanisms” found in the scripture.

[/quote']

[ Posted with permission from JLS ]

Posted

I've been excited for this book ever since I went to his presentation at BYU last year about Mormon's sources. I have a lot of interest in historical criticism, so I think it is exciting that it is being done with the Book of Mormon now.

The idea of Mormon's Atlas is very exciting to me as well. As you might guess from my username I have a passion for maps. I have done some fairly extensive research into Book of Mormon geography in the past (nowadays I am more passionate about Church history, but still love this stuff), and it became apparent to me that a single map for the Book of Mormon isn't sufficient as groups of people move around, cities are built and destroyed, etc.

Posted
I believe it will establish beyond reasonable question to both Latter-day Saints and non-LDS scholars as well that Joseph Smith had in his possession, and translated, a Mesoamerican codex written by Mormon in the late fourth century AD.

Wow!

Posted

But, will they read it?

Despite the fact that his work will [probably] not be recognized in the immediate future, he feels that the facts presented within this work simply cannot be scientifically ignored.

Posted

But, will they read it?

That is unfortunately a major hurdle for him to overcome from what I've seen.
Posted

What types/styles of maps have you created in the past?

I haven't done anything professionally, but I have experience hand-drawing topo and antique-looking maps. I also have experience with digitally creating relief maps and 3d visualizations using digital elevation models.

Posted

I love maps, not as much as you do, but I have framed in my library about a half dozen antique maps (granted they are very inexpensive reproductions, but I collected them in my student days).

Posted

Just curious, but where is he with the horse vs tapir issue. Is he comfortable with "real" horses in mesoamerica during the BOM time period? That gets alot press here in this forum.

Posted (edited)

At about a quarter of the way through chapter 16 he addresses the subject of animals. Peeking at the version of the digital manuscript that I have, I see that he devotes nearly 4,000 words to the topic of animals in the Book of Mormon and in Mesoamerica.

Edited by cursor
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

For those who don't know, my father will be delivering the 10AM presentation (Aug 2) at this year's FAIR conference. It's entitled "Reading Mormon's Codex." It will provide an insightful introduction to his extensive Mormon's Codex volume, that should be released early next year.

http://www.fairlds.o...ference/conf12a

Please additionally note that he will be interviewed on Monday, July 30th on KTKK 530 AM Radio, Drive Time Live, at 4PM MST.

John L. Sorenson wrote:

The book Mormon’s Codex presents a wide array of evidence that the Book of Mormon is an ancient historical record. The presence in it of a large number (over 420) of agreements with the picture of the ancient civilization of Mesoamerica (southern Mexico/northern Central America) that secular scholarship has established leads to the conclusion that the Book of Mormon can only have been put into its original form by a person who lived in that area many centuries before Spanish explorers reached there. To account for the presence of these “Mesoamericanisms” in the volume he published Joseph Smith had to have had in his possession an ancient native book or codex which he translated.

This book establishes “correspondences” between the Book of Mormon text and data revealed in scholarly studies of Mesoamerica ranging from major parallels to specific minor details of fact and phrasing. The secular sources cited comprise a list of books and technical articles 130 pages long from the fields of history, archaeology, anthropology, geography and linguistics. It includes 12 maps and 19 illustrations.

I have been involved in studying this topic since 1949, but since Mormon’s Codex may be the final piece I write on the subject, I have felt obliged to bring such closure as I can to my personal investigation of the relationship of the Book of Mormon to ancient Mesoamerica.

The book is in final editing at the publisher, the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship at BYU. Anticipated publication date is early in 2013. Deseret Book will be co-publisher.
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

I just asked my dad about the potential for call-in questions, he tells me that anyone can call the KTTV guest line, 801-253-7963, about 4:04 PM Mountain Time, after ads & news plays and pose significant questions.

Posted

I just listened to the broadcast. What a wonderful man. I wish more scholars called in to the show than those that did.

Posted

John L. Sorenson will be talking live on KTTV 530 AM radio (Drive Time Live with Mills Crenshaw) at 4:00 PM MST. If you want to listen to the program using your internet connection, you can click the button at this link for live streaming:

http://www.k-talk.co...ash-player.html

He will be talking about his upcoming volume, Mormon's Codex.

Thanks for posting this. Got there late but listened to the last half hour. Worth the listen. Will it be available for download?

Posted

I somehow doubt it. It really seemed to be a bit of a strange crowd of callers. Like my father just offered in our post-show phone conversation: "the radio is no place to reasonably discuss anthropology, Mesoamerican archaeology, the Book of Mormon ... or any other subject ... with just anybody off the street (much less folk who are looking forward to confront an authority.with teeth gritted)."

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...