cinepro Posted July 25, 2012 Posted July 25, 2012 I agree. There is actually no need to print our covenants in the PoGP. They are mostly found already among the pages of the standard works.Or among the pages of Elder Hales' book "Return".... (as pointed out by David T a while back) 1
Bill “Papa” Lee Posted July 25, 2012 Posted July 25, 2012 I can see what you saying. If I had to teach about it, I would explain that loud laughter is not the volume or intensity of laughter, it is, rather, a flippant or frivolous attitude towards anything sacred. I would then use Psalm 1 to illustrate the kind of behaviour expected of us. I'd also bring up similar things when teaching D&C 59.Loud laughter usually means to laugh someone to scorn...this is where the evil comes in.
mfbukowski Posted July 26, 2012 Posted July 26, 2012 I am a fan of better temple prep classes. I think we could avoid some of the bad experiences (however few they may be) for first-time attenders by being a bit more specific in our instruction. And we could even employ the scriptures in very easy ways to do it, IMO.Absolutely. I would love to teach a class reading "temple scriptures" only and just discussing the meaning of the scriptures.No direct references to the temple would even be necessary. Imagine discussing the implications of Hebrews 10, just as you would in a Sunday School class:19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; 1
Ticketyboo Posted July 26, 2012 Posted July 26, 2012 Thanks to Cinepro for reproducing that graphic, I never read all of the previous posts. It's a great help, because you tread a thin line in Temple Prep about how much you can reveal. I did in fact name the covenants of the Endowment & emphasise that the initiatories are indeed a covenant too.I also tried to explain that avoiding light-mindedness does not mean that we can't be light-hearted. Whilst we always wish to be reverent in the Temple, there are many times that the ability to laugh at ourselves and our circumstances is the greatest safeguard.I have to say that my greatest fear echoes those that are shared so many times throughout this topic; namely that the first time experience of the Temple should be a spiritual experience and not an overwhelming of the senses with the unfamiliar.I think that herein lies the great benefit of good Temple prep lessons, along with some judicious words, thoughts & support by the escort throughout that first Temple experience.I might also underline the immense value of considerate officiators & the patience of the other patrons. 1
mfbukowski Posted July 28, 2012 Posted July 28, 2012 I might also underline the immense value of considerate officiators & the patience of the other patrons.The church is strongly encouraging workers to make sure every patron has an excellent temple experience. The tendency for workers is to rush through ordinances for the dead to do as many as possible. We are now being encouraged to avoid that tendency and understand that each ordinance is done for a person who is as real as the patron, and is also learning along with the patron who is his proxy.By so doing, the patron also benefits spiritually by having a better experience hearing the ordinances as real, incredibly beautiful spiritual blessings instead of a virtually non-understandable monotone recitation, done as quickly as possible. 3
Recommended Posts