"The Book Of Abraham As A Divine Inspired Expansion Of The Hor Document Of Fellowship" Gasp!!!

Pre-Game

1)To understand this post you must read the following: The Book of Mormon as a Modern Expansion of an Ancient Source

2)The Hor Document of Fellowship

3)"A New Look at the ʿnḫ p3 by Formula" by John Gee. I can email you a copy, if you are nice to me:)

4)Understand that I will not divulge any content of the LDS Endowment ritual. I would hope everyone would be respectful and do the same.

5)Understand that I am agnostic on the BoA translation issues. The following post assumes that the critics are right ie that the BoA represents an attempt to translate the Hor Document of Fellowship and is still divinely inspired, GASP!!.

Let the games begin

Ever wonder why the Book of Abraham, as we have it, ends the way it does, where it does? Since we don't have the parts that mention Olimlah, Shulem and Prince of Pharaoh, ever wonder what the rest of it contains? I think that the missing/untranslated portions of the Book of Abraham may contain a version of an endowment. The HDoF is an ancient Egyptian endowment and the BoA may just be a Modern Expansion of that document, that is true to Abraham's actual autobiography.

Facsimile 1

Vignette1.jpg

"[The Osiris, God’s father, ] priest of Amon-Re, king of the gods, priest of Min, who massacres his enemies,1 priest of Khonsu, who is powerful in Thebes.2 (2) . . . Hôr, justified, the son of one of like titles,3 master of the secrets, god’s priest, Usirwer, justified, [born of the house wife, the musician (3) of Amon-Re,] Taykhebyt. May your soul live in their midst. May you be buried at the head of the West. . . . (4) . . . . . . . (5) May you give to him beautiful and useful things on the west [of Thebes] like the mountains of Manu."

Of interest to me is the reference to "Min, who massacres his enemies" John Gee reminds us that

Horos was also prophet of Min who Massacres his Enemies. The term for "massacre," sm3, "to slay," "is also the verb used of slaughtering or sacrificing animals" and can be used as a term for the "sacrificial offering." "The texts specify that this is done by the knife held in the right hand and the foe in the left or with the harpoon. The [sacrifice] is dismembered and portions of him are put into the brazier as offerings." The term for enemy, ryw, can also mean "sacrificial victim." The only place where representations of the rituals associated with Min who Massacres his Enemies appear is on the interior portions of the Bab el Abd, the gate in the enclosure wall of the Montu temple north of the great temple of Amun at Karnak. The gate was built by the Pharaoh Ptolemy III Euergetes, the contemporary of Horos's grandfather Chabonchonsis, who is the earliest known prophet of Min who Massacres his Enemies, and the decoration finished by Ptolemy IV Philopater. Unlike most of the deities featured on the gateway, Min who Massacres his Enemies did not have his own temple in the Montu complex because his rituals were performed in the courtyard of the Montu temple. Two rituals are associated with him; one of them is labeled "subduing sinners," and the other is the burning of enemies. Both scenes come from the execration ritual. The first scene identifies Min who Massacres his Enemies with Reshep, a foreign deity imported into Egypt much earlier, and like many non-Egyptian deities imported into Egypt, he is given a different Egyptian name. The second scene says that he "smites his enemies in the temple of burning" and then "burns them on the altar of burnt offerings. The gods also "overthrow your enemies in the slaughterhouse (nm.t), they sacrifice [the enemy] in your altar (ʿḫ).

Maybe the lioncouch scene combined the job Hor did in life, combined to form as a catalyst for Abraham's own sacrifice in the Book of Abraham? That's neither here nor there; on to the fun stuff.

Facsimile 3

03990_000_fac-3.jpg

What we have here is a scene depicting the now deified Egyptian priest, Osiris-Hor being led into the presence of of the gods to live forever in a company with the gods.

• (Osiris)Abraham sitting upon Pharaoh’s throne, by the politeness of the king, with a crown upon his head, representing the Priesthood, as emblematical of the grand Presidency in Heaven; with the scepter of justice and judgment in his hand.
  • (Isis)King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head.
  • (offering table)Signifies Abraham in Egypt.
  • (Maat)Prince of Pharaoh, King of Egypt, as written above the hand.
  • (Osiris-Hor)Shulem, one of the king’s principal waiters, as represented by the characters above his hand.
  • (Anubis)Olimlah, a slave belonging to the prince.

Shulem/Osiris-Hor: The Missing Link

Shulem sounds alot like the "ladder" mentioned in Genesis 28:12-19. Is this an example of a pun? Does the missing/untranslated portion of Abraham depict Abraham initiating Shulem into the true priesthood? Who knows? But if so, it would explain the relationship between the Book of Abraham and the papyri.

Edited by Olavarria