Rob Bell Nails The Resurrection

I love this video :) It's the start of my workout playlist because the music is energetic and his passion is so contagious.

(PS I always want to laugh out loud when he says "You didn't see that comin' did ya?!)

Edited by mercyngrace

What was that? Performance preaching? Is this just something he does or is it a new trend?

What he had to say was very good and I enjoyed his delivery style, but I am too much of a visual person..that is what I tend to focus on and the talking in the background prevented me from completely focusing on the speaking anyway so honestly I had to force myself to watch it, the special effects and even his body movements were just too frustratingly distracting. Cut it down to about a fifth of the extras and I probably would enjoy it.

Edited by calmoriah

I really love Rob Bell, but I agree, the video was a bit distracting from the message..

Loved his book, "Love Wins". Great read.

I really love Rob Bell, but I agree, the video was a bit distracting from the message..

Loved his book, "Love Wins". Great read.

Libs,

You should see the book tour videos for "Drops Like Stars" and "The Gods Aren't Angry". They are brilliant and much more like his books. Bell has a great sense of humor and if you liked Love Wins, you'll love these.

You might also enjoy downloadable youtube videos of NT Wright and Peter Rollins (both post-modernist European theologians, though not post-modernist in the way we in the US think of it). They are also two captivating speakers and share many ideas, though each presents in a different style.

Oh, and Shane Hipps, too. He preaches at Mars Hill and was a Mennonite preacher before that. He's easy to listen to and has some great things to say about how we teach the gospel that he gleaned from his background as an advertising exec.

LOL - it just occurred to me that if someone found my phone and saw all the downloaded books/videos, they would be very confused ...

My playlist looks something like this:

David Bednar

CS Lewis

Taylor Swift

Sheri L. Dew

NT Wright

Jason Mraz

Boyd K. Packer

Rob Bell

L. Tom Perry

Bob Marley

Ray Vander Laan

Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Shane Hipps

Guantanamera

Henry B. Eyring

Peter Rollins

Libs,

You should see the book tour videos for "Drops Like Stars" and "The Gods Aren't Angry". They are brilliant and much more like his books. Bell has a great sense of humor and if you liked Love Wins, you'll love these.

You might also enjoy downloadable youtube videos of NT Wright and Peter Rollins (both post-modernist European theologians, though not post-modernist in the way we in the US think of it). They are also two captivating speakers and share many ideas, though each presents in a different style.

Oh, and Shane Hipps, too. He preaches at Mars Hill and was a Mennonite preacher before that. He's easy to listen to and has some great things to say about how we teach the gospel that he gleaned from his background as an advertising exec.

LOL - it just occurred to me that if someone found my phone and saw all the downloaded books/videos, they would be very confused ...

My playlist looks something like this:

David Bednar

CS Lewis

Taylor Swift

Sheri L. Dew

NT Wright

Jason Mraz

Boyd K. Packer

Rob Bell

L. Tom Perry

Bob Marley

Ray Vander Laan

Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Shane Hipps

Guantanamera

Henry B. Eyring

Peter Rollins

Add Marcus Borg and James D.G. Dunn and you'll be set.

That's a great list, mercyngrace! :)

Love Marcus Borg, also. Also, enjoyed reading John Shelby Spong.. (and Thomas Merton)..

Right now I'm reading "The Second Coming of Christ" by Paramahansa Yogananda. Very interesting, about the possibility of Jesus Christ spending time in India and Tibet during the "lost years" (between 12 and 30).

I agree with Bell that hell does not exist as he states in "Love Wins". I think I will read "Velvet Elvis" soon.

Velvet Elvis was pretty good but not my favorite of Bell's books. Sex God is great - there are a few points about marriage that diverge from LDS theology, obviously, but still a great book about gender, sexuality, and relationships in a Christian context. Jesus Wants to Save Christians is another favorite by Bell.

Spong's autobiography, "Here I Stand", is quite good, and so is "Jesus for the Non-Religious".

Looks like I'm gonna have to reactivate my audible account :) Actually, I was looking for Surprised by Hope last night on audible so I could start listening to it today at the gym but it wasn't available. It's sad to say but my life is crazy busy most of the time and I don't have time to sit and read. I can however listen while I do dishes, mow the lawn, workout, shop, fold laundry, drive to work etc. I wish more books were available for audio download....