Newbie Says Hi

Antoni

Hi,

I've been lurking around here these last few weeks and thought I should say "Hi" and offer a brief introduction.

I've had an interest in Mormonism a long time, ever since the church opened a meeting house in my town when I was a youngster near where I lived, I always thought the spire was strange and looke more like a lightning rod!

As I progresses through life I became more involved in evangelical side of Christianity and so Mormonism became a big "no no". I ended up at bible college but for various reasons decided a career as a minister was not for me.

I flitted with other churches but always felt disapointed with them and with myself. A few years ago I just felt burnt out by whole thing and stopped going to church and doing anything remotely "spiritual". i came to an atheistic position, which was more out of anger and my own failings and and people who had let me down, I also arrogantly wanted to run my own life and so denying God and going my own way was best way I thought.

The reality is about 3 months ago I looked at my life and realised how far I'd fallen, drinking lots (I was a teetotaler until a few years ago), working hard and spending time and money of frivilous pursuits and a marriage whilst not "on the rocks" certainly needed work from MY end as I'd been incredibly selfish these last few years.

So I wrote a list of what I would like/need in a church and from my knowledge of scripture what that church should also be like. I was confused as list looked ALOT like LDS, so I did it again, much to my chagrin I saw the LDS was "best fit for me".

Ok I say, BUT they have those weird scriptures, so I go online and see I can download them, so I do. Firstly I'm impressed, these are not the mad ramblings of a buffoon. Even if Joseph Smith made them up, they're pretty good. I start to watch messages from General Conferences and again I'm touched and blown away but the succinct teaching.

So I get on my knees and ask Heavenly Father to send missionaries my way - that day I go out for lunch and meet some walking along street! We chat and I get a copy of BoM and I'm now working my way through it. I've found 2 Nephi especially uplifting.

I'm not ready to jump in to attending LDS just yet, I've got personal stuff to work through and I need to talk more to my wife. I'd like to thank the posters here for their helpful threads and hope to contribute in near future myself.

Light, Love and Peace

Antoni

While I certainly am partial to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ;), best of luck, wherever your journey takes you. Welcome. :)

I'm not ready to jump in to attending LDS just yet, I've got personal stuff to work through and I need to talk more to my wife. I'd like to thank the posters here for their helpful threads and hope to contribute in near future myself.

Come on in, the water's fine!

Seriously, we all have "personal stuff to work through", even after years or decades in the Church of Jesus Christ. It's what being human and repentance are all about. So attending a Sacrament Meeting along with Sunday School and Priesthood Meeting would be a very good move. You may be worried that people will judge you. I assure you they will, but their judgement will be, "What a nice guy! I hope he joins the Church."

Many people are concerned that we will small tobacco or alcohol on their clothing and be put off by it. Please don't be anxious about that. My sins don't smell bad, and I'm glad about that, but I'm much more worried about them than I could ever be about sins with a tell-tale odor.

"Antoni" is not an Anglo-Saxon name; it's rare in USmerica in any case. Are you in Europe or elsewhere, or just another Yankee?

Welcome aboard here, and do come in. I assure you the water is fine.

Lehi

Welcome Antoni... so glad you found your way here... my personal opinion is that in your journey you were led here.

Regardless of what happens, my hope is you will please join here and participate, finding your way back to Heavenly Father and the Savior in doing so...

Again, welcome from the beautiful central Oregon USA coast (the west coast of US).

GG