Political Articles And Discussion During This Campaign

Ares

Normally political discussions are not allowed in the MD&D forums, however...

Articles on the presidential campaign featuring Mitt Romney's ties to the LDS Church or the affect of this election on the public perception of Mormonism will be allowed in the "In The News" forum during this election cycle.

Please keep your discussion to issues that affect Mormonism in the public eye. Party politics or other unrelated political topics will result in being banned from the threads.

Some examples of forbidden discussion:

- Equating affiliation with a political party with faithfulness.

- Promoting a candidate

- Labeling another persons opinions as liberal, conservative, etc.

- Demonizing a political party or opinion

• 2 months later...

OK, let's say that I quote a prophecy in the BOM. I then give examples where I think these prophecies are being fulfilled, and these involve actions by the President, Congress, judges, or politicians.

Yes..... No..... Maybe?

No

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our posts clearly must prominently emphasize Romney and Reid. Off limits are any news articles which show the fulfillment of last day prophecies by JS, the BOM/Bible/D&C, or any general authorities.

OK, message received.

I feel that a discussion should be had regarding spending since budget deficits can have a real and significant affect on our way of life. I also think that it would be effective to route out the doctrinal issues that concern people with government intervention such as health care. These are not mormon issues directly, but they are real life issues that are often confused with doctrine, in much the same way as evolution or other scientific issues are.

I feel that such a discussion will help us come to a better understanding of the role of government, and using real life policy proposals will provide a good framework for such a discussion.

No

• 2 weeks later...

I have to ask what is going to happen if/when Romney wins the Presidency and we have a Mormon President for the next 4 years? I cant imagine that the press will stop talking about Mormonism once that campaign is over if he wins.

I don't know. I mean, if the press was really out to scrutinize Romney's LDS faith, I would think that the deepest probing, most discussion and possibly even the most vicious attacks with regard to his faith would occur during the campaign, and not after the election is over. I think that if Romney wins (which I don't think will happen), by the time that he is in office, the press won't care much about his religion....unless of course, he passes some controversial legislation that is related to his faith, then the floodgates will open.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know. I mean, if the press was really out to scrutinize Romney's LDS faith, I would think that the deepest probing, most discussion and possibly even the most vicious attacks with regard to his faith would occur during the campaign, and not after the election is over. I think that if Romney wins (which I don't think will happen), by the time that he is in office, the press won't care much about his religion....unless of course, he passes some controversial legislation that is related to his faith, then the floodgates will open.

Oh, I don't know about that doubt about Romney winning. Things can change in a hurry, but if Reagan-Carter is any guideline, Reagan was well-behind Carter at this point the campaign, and then Reagan bulldozed his opponent. Romney and Obama are in a statistical tie at this time. I think the chances are very good he will defeat Obama. The current economic condition is likewise a millstone around Pres. Obama's neck. I think it is Romney's election to lose.

No

if the press was really out to scrutinize Romney's LDS faith, I would think that the deepest probing, most discussion and possibly even the most vicious attacks with regard to his faith would occur during the campaign, and not after the election is over.

That's when Romney calls in the Harry Reid shield. ;)

I don't know. I agree wit hthe mod's rules and I do appreciate all their efforts but politics and mormonism are my two favorite topics to dicsuss in the blogosphere. Forbidding one makes me feel like I'm without one full arm. But this is Mormon Dialogue's site. If I choose to come here than I cvhoose to follow the rules.

• 2 weeks later...

this thread is the very first time in this election cycle that I feel like laughing instead of stabbing myself in the forehead. Thank you weird and wacky folk. To top it off we just had the Dutch national elections as well. GAAAAAAH! My newly hatched adult children can vote for the first time here. They can also vote in the US national election- too bad the media gets in the way of good issue coverage.

• 3 weeks later...

this thread is the very first time in this election cycle that I feel like laughing instead of stabbing myself in the forehead. Thank you weird and wacky folk. To top it off we just had the Dutch national elections as well. GAAAAAAH! My newly hatched adult children can vote for the first time here. They can also vote in the US national election- too bad the media gets in the way of good issue coverage.

Wait... what? How can your adult children vote in the US national election if you're Dutch? Oh. I guess you might be expats or something...

Archived