So...I Have Invited Some Lds Folks Over For Dinner Tomorrow...

This might be a weird question (sorry for my ignorance) are there any dietary considerations that I should be mindful of? I asked them and they said no, but I was not sure if they were being polite. Ham or chicken or both (pork??)...pop or no pop (I drink alot of diet pepsi but I don't want to offend)...coffee and tea ( to offer or not to offer with dessert).. dessert with chocolate (or is that a caffiene issue?)

Thanks for your guidance... :)

Edited by followerofemmanuel

Herbal teas are generally okay, they likely won't accept coffee or black or green tea, no alcohol. Some avoid caffeine in large amounts such as soft drinks, but chocolate should not be a problem. Other than that, there shouldn't be an issue.

Most LDS I know are not offended by others partaking of stuff they won't drink themselves, but a few overly zealous types might be. It is very kind of you to want to take their preferences into account.

Edited by calmoriah

Herbal teas are generally okay, they likely won't accept coffee or black or green tea, no alcohol. Some avoid caffeine in large amounts such as soft drinks, but chocolate should not be a problem. Other than that, there shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks

Thanks, that must have been where I remember seeing something about coffee and tea...

The chapter in the manual I linked to in the other thread covers our POV on dietary choices: http://www.lds.org/m...health?lang=eng

Thank you for inquiring and being so considerate to ask. (Though I wouldn't offer tea of herbal kind either ---- some members would just not want tea of any kind, even though there is no prohibition of herbal tea.)

Thank you for inquiring and being so considerate to ask. (Though I wouldn't offer tea of herbal kind either ---- some members would just not want tea of any kind, even though there is no prohibition of herbal tea.)

That's helpful, thanks.

aahhh...I might as well ask....I usually say grace before meals. Will that make my guests feel awkward or shall I pray silently?

Probably not, wouldn't me.

We do say prayers before meals to thank God and have him bless them, they are not supposed to be repetitive but there are only so many ways one can say "bless this food" so we tend to slip into habits.

Edited by calmoriah

Ok- good to know.

Most LDS people also say grace before a meal so it shouldn't bother them in the least. In fact, they will probably appreciate it!

Probably not, wouldn't me.

We do say prayers before meals to thank God and have him bless them, they are not supposed to be repetitive but there are only so many ways one can say "bless this food" so we tend to slip into habits.

I share the same view-thanks

Are there missionaries coming? Or is it some neighbours or aquaintances.

I have invited an aquaintance of mine who I recently ran into after many years. He is now married and has a baby. I met him on public transport train as we commuted for more than a year on the same train. I became friends with him and also tried to share my faith with him as he did not really believe in anything. He came to my church's young adult gym nights etc. We lost touch and I recently ran into him after maybe 5 yrs. I suggested when I saw him that I would like to have them over for dinner and they accepted.

This week I called to set the date and they are coming tonight. I only learned that they are lds by asking if there was any dietary requirements. My friend said no, but then started mentioning that his wife learned of a milk intolerance while on her mission to uganda. I'm assuming by how the conversation went that he has also converted and is probably LDS now too ( that I may be wrong about) No other dietary cautions were mentioned but I thought I read some where in lds teaching about caffeine and maybe pork, hence all my questions. I want to be as welcoming as possible so i appreciate your advice. Definatly a benefit to hanging out here with you folks. You have all been helpful.

Hello Follower...

I would just keep it simple... one time a work-friend of my husband's invited us over for dinner with he and his wife. They had spent a few years in India while he worked on an engineering project, and they loved Indian food. For me however, it is too spicy including the curry. Anyway, I could barely eat it and appear enthusiastic at the same time. Many people love Indian food and the rich spices... but I stay away from many different ethnic dishes because of the spices.

So, my suggestion is to just be careful of the flavorings of whatever you choose to serve.

Oh, and I always serve a special dessert, something pretty like individual fruit tarts with special sauce, etc.

GG

Hello Follower...

I would just keep it simple... one time a work-friend of my husband's invited us over for dinner with he and his wife. They had spent a few years in India while he worked on an engineering project, and they loved Indian food. For me however, it is too spicy including the curry. Anyway, I could barely eat it and appear enthusiastic at the same time. Many people love Indian food and the rich spices... but I stay away from many different ethnic dishes because of the spices.

So, my suggestion is to just be careful of the flavorings of whatever you choose to serve.

Oh, and I always serve a special dessert, something pretty like individual fruit tarts with special sauce, etc.

GG

Thanks for the pointers GG :)