Can You Guys Help Me With My Talk Please.

Aamon

The topic of my talk in 3 weeks is "Our Journey to the Temple" but I was married outside and only sealed 2 years ago. What do I talk about?

Do I have to share personal experience or should I just share others and just stick with the doctrine?

The topic of my talk in 3 weeks is "Our Journey to the Temple" but I was married outside and only sealed 2 years ago. What do I talk about?

Do I have to share personal experience or should I just share others and just stick with the doctrine?

I would just talk about how everything happened, your marriage outside and then what took place to get to the Temple. You can share how you felt inside the Temple and obviously not share what all happened but just say we got sealed and I felt....whatever and so on and so on. Good luck!

Edited by Duncan

We never fall onto the top of a mountain; it must be climbed through strenuous effort and a constant vigilance to keep the pinnacle in view. So it is with the temple. You have a great story to share with others; in every sense of the word a great journey to share. The focus is the journey you had getting to the temple rather than the temple itself. What were the trials and how you overcame them. How did you keep the temple in sight and what it meant to finally enter the House of the Lord.

You will do great.

Thanks I appreciate it heaps. Its just that I was a return missionary at the time and my wife to be was the YSA Rep and we werent ready to be married in the temple. I just didnt feel comfortable speaking about a topic I didnt actually follow at that time.

But thanks you all it was a real help.

Aamon,

I've given plenty of lessons on temple marriage and family, and I am single. Again, its 90% doctrine, 10% personal experience. Just find interesting and inspired quotes on your subject matter from LDS.org, and testify according to the spirit. There are PLENTY of lessons and talks that you will give where you don't actually have any tangible experience with, that's pretty normal. When it comes to families, I often have experience growing up with LDS families and being a part of their daily routine including family prayer, scripture study and more. Although I have little experience in leading a family in that way, I draw upon what I do know to be true. Its also important to know that there is a time and a season in all things. You may give a talk about genealogy when you are 15 years old, and perhaps draw upon experiences of your grandparents. Further, its important I think to know how God feels about your progress on the subject you are given. For example, I have pretty bad ADHD, and I've always beaten myself up about not being currently married in the church. I would hear talk after talk about how people should just hurry up! LOL. Then after discovering my ADHD, and how relationships are problematic, I took it to Heavenly Father and got a wonderful revelation about my standing and progress on that subject. Now, when I read the proclamation of the family, I totally believe it and support it, and also champion it, even though I am not married. A bishop once told me that there were members that talked a lot about him and that he didn't have enough children. He then asked me, how do you feel about yourself being single and having the callings in the ward I have, my response was simple, "I know the Lord has my back, he is aware of me, and has a plan for me". So, I don't let people bother me about my marital status, only because now I actually know how Heavenly Father feels about it. In that respect, I have put on the armor of God. So, my advice to you is to approach Heavenly Father about it. You'll not only gain insight, but a confidence in your position. Then talking on the subject will be less of a burden and more enjoyable for you and everyone else.

So talk about how you thought you weren't ready and how that changed your dynamic and what you might have done in retrospect if you had known what you know now. People usually give the temple talk using the ideal path. Lots of people don't take that path, often making bad choices but sometimes with the very best choices and intentions that didn't work out. It iwll be good to hear a talk from your perspecitve.

So talk about how you thought you weren't ready and how that changed your dynamic and what you might have done in retrospect if you had known what you know now. People usually give the temple talk using the ideal path. Lots of people don't take that path, often making bad choices but sometimes with the very best choices and intentions that didn't work out. It iwll be good to hear a talk from your perspecitve.

I actually heard a talk like that, except it was a talk on excuses! The guy gave a long 20 minute list of why he couldn't give a talk, and then at the end he said, "So, I don't think I'll give a talk!" and walked off! That was the most memorable talk I have ever heard!

Thanks I appreciate it heaps. Its just that I was a return missionary at the time and my wife to be was the YSA Rep and we werent ready to be married in the temple. I just didnt feel comfortable speaking about a topic I didnt actually follow at that time.

But thanks you all it was a real help.

Everything in the Gospel ... including the Temple ordinances, if you listen closely to the Endowment Ceremony ... centers on the Atonement. I would ask you to ponder whether you were invited to speak precisely because you have unique experience and insight as a result of the road you have traveled. Now, I'm not necessarily suggesting that you bare your whole soul for public display in giving this talk. But perhaps someone needs to hear that even though you originally embarked on "a road less traveled," you got to the Temple because of the Atonement. I don't necessarily buy into the "90% doctrine 10% experience" ratio: it depends on how well you relate your experience to the doctrine. Seek the Spirit, trust that it'll come, and follow it when it does.

I wish you well. :)