Now The Catholics Are Going After Pastor Robert Jeffress

CQUIRK

Apparently Anti-Mormonism isn't the only thing Robert Jeffress is known for...

http://news.yahoo.com/catholics-war-perry-213300701.html

William Donohue, the head of the Catholic League, called on presidential candidate Rick Perry on Wednesday to “have a full break” with Pastor Robert Jeffress, the Dallas minister who introduced and endorsed Texas's governor at the Values Voter Summit last week, and—in case you’ve forgotten—called Mitt Romney’s Mormon faith a “cult” in the process.

Donohue told The Daily Beast that Jeffress’ description of Mormonism “bespeaks dramatic ignorance”—but that he was calling for Perry to sever ties “not only for the pastor’s comments on Mormonism,” but because of the anti-Catholic statements the megachurch pastor made on his Pathway to Victory ministry show last September. On that show, Jeffress likened the Catholic Church to Satan, and called it a “fake religion.”

A powerful Catholic voice based in the New York Archdiocese, Donohue’s denunciations of another controversial Texas evangelical—Pastor John Hagee—as an anti-Catholic bigot forced 2008 GOP nominee John McCain to reject Hagee’s endorsement. (Hagee had called the church the great whore and a “false cult.”) “I think Rick Perry should follow the lead of McCain,” Donohue said in an interview on Wednesday, “and say ‘I don’t want this guy Jeffress’ endorsement.’” Donohue later reconciled with Hagee, who Donohue says came to visit him and apologized for the comments.

Donohue tells The Daily Beast he doesn’t think Jeffress is likely to recant his comments on Catholicism. Jeffress, says Donohue, is “in too deep,” and “loves to go on TV” making these “despicable statements.” Donohue is so respected in evangelical circles that he recently participated in an extended discussion in Washington put together by Tony Perkins and the Family Research Council, the sponsor of last week’s Values Voter Summit. One of the only Catholics present, Donohue and 15 to 20 evangelical leaders discussed social policy issues extensively right before the event. He says: “I didn’t hear anything off the wall there,” though he certainly sensed that some in the group “were leaning toward Perry.”

“Now I find out that Satan infected Catholicism,” Donohue added, a reference to the pivotal role Perkins asked Jeffress to play at the summit and Jeffress’ prior Catholic attacks. Jeffress called Catholicism “a Babylonian mystery religion spread like a cult” and suggested that it was “the genius of Satan” to make this “counterfeit” religion look like real Christian faiths.

Donohue posted a brief statement on the League site today branding Jeffress a “poster boy for hatred, not Christianity.” But he did not say anything about Perry until contacted by The Daily Beast.

The Perry campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

There are enough of his ilk that Jeffress will benefit from this, but I suspect he didn't expect the blow-back. The media has not been nearly as compliant this election cycle. I also suspect that the anti-EV sentiments are pretty close to the surface when right wing candidates are spouting all of their religiously based social issues. This makes for a good excuse for liberal leaning news to go after fundamentalists under the guise of righteous indignation over anti-Mormonism. Without the backing...or at least turned head....of the media it won't be what Jeffress probably expected given the bubble these types seem to live in.

Right now I'm just sitting back and watching the fireworks; things are going to be a LOT different next year then they were in 2008.

For one, religious anti-Mormonism is going to be on the defensive this time, both because the mainstream media now understands that the wind is blowing against people like Robert Jeffress, and also because the Catholics are up in arms as well from his previous comments.

I think Pastor Jeffress, and especially Rick Perry, may have opened a barrel of worms by their actions, and this is just the beginning.

For once, I believe the LDS Church is going to indirectly benefit from this, even though its obvious that the same hostile and anti-religious forces in the mainstream media that have gone after us plenty of times before will now instead be going after people like Jeffress in general. Yet if people like Jeffress want to air their personal views and also play politics with it at the same time, then the consequences they'll soon receive will be their justifiable reward.

Right now I'm just sitting back and watching the fireworks; things are going to be a LOT different next year then they were in 2008.

For one, religious anti-Mormonism is going to be on the defensive this time, both because the mainstream media now understands that the wind is blowing against people like Robert Jeffress, and also because the Catholics are up in arms as well from his previous comments.

I think Pastor Jeffress, and especially Rick Perry, may have opened a barrel of worms by their actions, and this is just the beginning.

For once, I believe the LDS Church is going to indirectly benefit from this, even though its obvious that the same hostile and anti-religious forces in the mainstream media that have gone after us plenty of times before will now instead be going after people like Jeffress in general. Yet if people like Jeffress want to air their personal views and also play politics with it at the same time, then the consequences they'll soon receive will be their justifiable reward.

I think politicians are between a rock and a hard place. WIth the help of the internet and sites like Youtube and so many cameras recording every word that we say, especially in a public broadcast venue, it's getting to the point that all this is being used for good and bad.

The politicians accept endorsments from pastors and such because they like to affiliate with congregation heads knowing full well that it will most likely have an influence on large bodies of voters and it makes their Jobs easier, rather than having to get out in public and win votes one at a time. But then when past bone headed things the people have said surface on Youtube then these same politicians disavow the endorsement and try and distance themselves from them.

I think that might be where Perry has found himself in this situation. If he rejects the endorsment he risks alienating and offending a huge segment of voters, but at the same time, an even larger voter base is pushing him to reject the endorsement and is beginning to reach critical mass.

I found it funny that the following day Rev. Jeffress, when Interviewed on CNN and MSNBC and such, had to soften and redifine his meaning to the LDS are a "Theological Cult".

Ironically, Rev. Jeffress' defintion of "theological cult" would make his own Southern Baptist Convention a Theological Cult as well.

Anti-Mormon Pastor’s Definition of “Cult” Includes Christianity

Mitt Romney’s Mormonism was cast in the spotlight Sunday when a Baptist pastor affiliated with Rick Perry said the former Massachusetts governor’s religion was a “cult.”

Perry distanced himself from the comment, which drew heavy criticism. The pastor, Robert Jeffress of First Baptist Church in Dallas, backpedaled and tried to draw a distinction between a “sociological cult” and a “theological” one, as if it so say he didn’t mean that Mormons are dangerous like David Koresh or Marshall Applewhite, they just fit the clinical and scholarly definition of “cult.”

Unfortunately, his definition of that word is so broad it can include mainstream Christianity.

"Mormonism was invented 1800 years after Jesus Christ and the founding of Christianity,” Jeffress told Fox news, “and it has its own founder, Joseph Smith, its own set of doctrines and its own book, the Book of Mormon. And that by definition is a theological cult, that's all I'm saying."

Try this one for size, pastor.

Christianity was invented 1,800 years after Abraham and the founding of Judaism and has its own founder, Jesus Christ, its own set of doctrines, and its own book, the New Testament. And that by Jeffress’ definition is a theological cult, that’s all I’m saying.

Jeffress’ failed to realize his mistake and even went on to say that Mormonism wasn’t a Christian religion. I suggest the pastor goes to mormon.org and looks in big, bold letters where it says “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints”, and under Who We are, where it says “We believe first and foremost that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world and the Son of God.” Then I invite him to look at the first six letters in the word “Christian”.

Jeffress’ attempt to shoehorn Mormonism into a non-Christian cult isn’t motivated by any sound theological argument—he just doesn’t agree with the faith, which is fine. I’m not a Mormon, either.

However, I’m not arrogant enough to call all other religious sects that I don’t belong to a cult.

http://www.redcounty.com/content/anti-mormon-pastor%E2%80%99s-definition-%E2%80%9Ccult%E2%80%9D-includes-christianity

3There are pros and cons to almost all things; in this instance, they may wrap themselves in new words, but their hearts will still be anti-Mormon. I would prefer to know my enemies by their words and actions, just as I would know my enemies by theirs. It is when people smile in your face and then undermine all that you are in private that much worse problems develop.

Jeffress is a pig. He thinks he is doing what God wants him to do, but he does not understand the meaning of being a follower of Jesus. We can all learn a lesson by observing Jeffress' behavior; never speak in ignorance; if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all; love one another; and most of all, love God and demonstrate it by our actions.

In light of the fact that Romney is leading over Perry, this had to be expected. Perry's pastor stepped in it! Did anyone or everyone besides me not see this anti-mormon rhetoric coming again!

In MNSHO the Perry campaign stepped in it. They were expecting it to work as well for them as for the Huckster four years ago. It was aa calculated move which backfired on them.

In MNSHO the Perry campaign stepped in it. They were expecting it to work as well for them as for the Huckster four years ago. It was aa calculated move which backfired on them.

It appears that the White House has identified Romney as the man to beat.. and is begining the Media blitz to try and paint him as a best friend to Wall Street to try and ride the unrest

WH has "growing sense" Romney will get GOP nod

According to David Plouffe, a senior White House adviser, the Obama administration will attempt to tap into public anger toward the financial sector and "paint Mitt Romney as Wall Street's best friend" as a key campaign tactic.

http://www.cbsnews.c...n20121085.shtml

I expect the bulk of anti-Mormon criticism to come from the right during the primaries, but if Romney is successful it's will be a constant theme from the political left lasting as long as his presidency. I expect the mainstream press will find much less fault when the criticism comes from the left. For example:how much criticism from the mainstream press was aimed at the Book of Mormon play.

Oh so he'll apologize and grovel to repudiate the comments of Jeffress RE: Catholics... but Mormons nary get a second glance.

Rick Perry Apologizes To Catholics But Not Mormons Over Jeffress

Written by: Bridgette P. LaVictoire on October 15, 2011.

Texas Governor Rick Perry is hardly having a good time when it comes to those questioning his faith. Perry’s good friend Pastor Robert Jeffress kind of threw a wrench into the plans of Perry to become President of the United States, and while Perry has raked in the money, he has also raked in the controversy.

This all started when Pastor Robert Jeffress endorsed Perry as being a “real Christian” and blasting former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney as belonging to a cult, namely Mormonism. Of course, Perry, who is a Southern Baptist, kind of wants to have it both ways here. He has lambasted this as a distraction, and said that “But if we’re going to spend the time in the campaign defending what someone who has endorsed us has said out there in the public, President Obama is going to spend a lot of time talking about defending people who are saying things about him that he probably doesn’t stand by.”

So, no denouncement when it comes to Jeffress’ statements about Mormonism. Oh well, but then again, what happens when video surfaces of Jeffress blasting Catholicism? Well, Perry leapt at the chance to call Catholic League’s Bill Donohue to apologize as fast as he could.

According to Donohue:

“While I made it clear that the anti-Catholic comments made by Jeffress must be roundly condemned, I also stated that I was not blaming Gov. Rick Perry for what the pastor said. One of the reasons I said this was because I was assured by my friend, Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, that Perry would never countenance any scurrilous remarks about the Catholic Church.
“When I got home, I received a phone call from Gov. Perry. Catholic activist Deal Hudson, who has a history of forging good relationships between Catholics and evangelicals, intervened in this matter and arranged for the phone call. Perry and I spoke candidly about the Jeffress incident, and about religion, in general. He spoke sincerely: nothing that Jeffress said about Catholicism represents his views.
“I very much appreciate Gov. Perry’s interest in getting this issue behind him in a responsible manner. He succeeded. Case closed.”

Not really. Whether Donohue likes it or not, the only reason why Perry apologized to him but not to Romney is because Romney is an opponent in the election, and Romney is a Mormon. In fact, there are no Roman Catholics of consequence running in the 2012 GOP presidential candidacy race. While Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum are Catholics, they are so far out of the top tier that they might as well not be there at all.

http://lezgetreal.co...comment-page-1/

It appears that the White House has identified Romney as the man to beat.. and is begining the Media blitz to try and paint him as a best friend to Wall Street to try and ride the unrest

WH has "growing sense" Romney will get GOP nod

According to David Plouffe, a senior White House adviser, the Obama administration will attempt to tap into public anger toward the financial sector and "paint Mitt Romney as Wall Street's best friend" as a key campaign tactic.

http://www.cbsnews.c...n20121085.shtml

Most of Obama's own cabinet were wall-street insider types. The hypocrisy is rank.

Archived