We Sold Our Boat/Home And We Are Buying A New Boat

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted on here, It's been a crazy month. As many of you know we were living on our 38 foot sailboat in Pago Pago, American Samoa. When we were bringing our cats through Hawaii quarantine to get them back onboard I had a revelation that I should get more water storage, we only carried 48 gallons. We started looking at boats to buy and found one we thought was meant for us. After arriving back in Samoa I put our boat up for sale on the internet and sold it in 2 weeks. We were surprised it happened so fast, we were homeless and living in hotels. We went back to Hawaii after shipping all of our personal items through the US mail service and took a look at that boat and decided not to buy her, she had too many things wrong with her. We searched for another boat in Hawaii with no luck for what we were looking for. So, we filled out a change of address and had all of our stuff forwarded to Florida, it had not yet made it to Hawaii. We started our search in Florida and we put on 5k miles searching for a sturdy boat that would serve us well for the upcoming tribulations. We were blessed to miss the tornados by staying at a friend's house that was off our path of travel, otherwise we would have gotten womped had we taken the shortest route to our destination. We finally found the baoat we were looking for in Annapolis, Maryland.

She holds 200 gallons of water and she has room for 2 years of food storage. She is a 1979 model and needs much work to get her ready for sea, but we got her for a good price. She has a sturdy hull and a full keel for safe sailing in the open ocean.

Anyway, we are having a bit of a culture shock with the fast pace and the weather here in Annapolis. Prayers for warmer weather will be appreciated :) We will be here through October, God willing, and then head back to the South Pacific and Samoa. I've located the local Ward but it'll be a week or 2 before we can go. I have to drive back to Florida and bring our stuff up in a rental truck. It's the first time that we have moved with the US Mail.

On a sad note, one of our cats passed away in Samoa. Red was a good cat and we miss him.

I hope you all have been doing ok.

Hello Rod...

Glad to see the update... sounds like things have been exciting for you. Hope your wife is doing well.

GG

Wow, that's alot of things you've been going through! I'm glad you found the boat though!

I'm sorry for the loss of your cat... they are such awsome... almost people like, creatures =).

Best Wishes,

TAO

Hello Rod...

Glad to see the update... sounds like things have been exciting for you. Hope your wife is doing well.

GG

Yes they have been exciting, we're ready to make this boat into a home, the search was getting tiring and expensive. Patti is doing as well as can be expected.

Wow, that's alot of things you've been going through! I'm glad you found the boat though!

I'm sorry for the loss of your cat... they are such awsome... almost people like, creatures =).

Best Wishes,

TAO

Thank you TAO, we miss our Red kitty. What is our doctrine on pets? I hope we see them again.

Thank you TAO, we miss our Red kitty. What is our doctrine on pets? I hope we see them again.

We know that they have spirits/souls. Beyond that, I don't know of an actual doctrine, but I think it can be inferred from some of Joseph Smith's teachings that they will be there.

Doctrine and Covenants 130:2

2 And that same sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be coupled with eternal glory, which glory we do not now enjoy.

Always enjoy reading your posts. If you ever make it to the Marshalls particularly Majuro tell them all "yokwe" for me.

I have 2 friends anchored in Majuro, is there and LDS presence on the islands? I was wondering what the chances of them getting a Temple were? We'd love to make the sail to the Marshall Islands. What does "yokwe" translate too? Hi?

I have 2 friends anchored in Majuro, is there and LDS presence on the islands? I was wondering what the chances of them getting a Temple were? We'd love to make the sail to the Marshall Islands. What does "yokwe" translate too? Hi?

Large LDS presence, that little atoll had three branches when I left (1985). Their stake was just organized a little while back and they are now their own mission they used to be part of the Micronesia Guam Mission and before that part of the Hawaii mission. "Yokwe" is equivalent to Aloha meaning hi, goodbye and love. I do not know the chance of a temple, when I left they where in the Hawaii temple district. I did help when the temple ceremony was translated into Marshallese and had a very wonderful and spiritual experience with that.

Edited by Anijen

200 gallons is a big improvement, IMO.

But I am curious, given your 2 year food supply, do you have a desalination process?

Your current supply of freshwater will go 4 times as a far as your old boat, but will it last 2 years?

If not, how do you figure that part in?

200 gallons is a big improvement, IMO.

But I am curious, given your 2 year food supply, do you have a desalination process?

Your current supply of freshwater will go 4 times as a far as your old boat, but will it last 2 years?

If not, how do you figure that part in?

Yes, we will install a watermaker. There are many to choose from, money will be an object as well as the power needs. I think I will go for one that draws 5 amps at 12 volts but only makes 3.5 gallons per hour. I plan to install a 400 watt wind generator (@25 kts wind speed) and at least 400 watts of solar power. There are watermakers for the same money that will make 8 gallons per hour but they draw 12 amps or more. My goal is to run it without using the diesel fuel for the engine. I have more research and shopping to do before we buy.

Boats? Sailing? South Pacific? Worried about having enough water to survive?

You are living a FAR more interesting life than me.

Last night I gorged on cheez-its while watching Friends re-runs because my wife is out of town.

• 2 weeks later...

Boats? Sailing? South Pacific? Worried about having enough water to survive?

You are living a FAR more interesting life than me.

Last night I gorged on cheez-its while watching Friends re-runs because my wife is out of town.

I had orange sherbet, and watched Bones, well recorded, I feel asleep about half way through. :yahoo: