Book Of Mormon Proven Wrong

consiglieri

Dr. Gleason Archer, an authority on the ancient Middle East and the Old Testament, made the following declaration in 1973:

In 1 Nephi 2:5-8, it is stated that the river Laman emptied into the Red Sea. Yet neither in historic nor prehistoric times has there been any river in Arabia at all that emptied into the Red Sea. Apart from an ancient canal which once connected the Nile with the coast of the Gulf of Suez, and certain wadis which showed occasional rainfall in ancient times, there were no streams of any kind emptying into the Red Sea on the western shore above the southern border of Egypt.

Archer, Gleason, L. A Survey of Old Testament Introduction. (Chicago: Moody Press, 1973, revised 1996), pp. 501-04.

This argument conclusively demonstrates that the Book of Mormon is a fraud.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

I know I sound like a broken record, but this kind of thing should make all the critics who talk about what has and hasn't been found in Meso-America sit on their own pronouncements about the lack of proof/evidence for New World sites, as well.

alright, someone fill me in on the joke here. :P

I'm guessing that other evidence was found that makes this man's claims sound really silly-but since i've never heard about any of this yet i'm not exactly following the point of the thread.

Maybe i'm the only one confused....

<_<

Edit-looks like zakuska already did it-thanks!

Google Earth. Yes!

Last year at the time of the "Dubai Ports World" scandal, I went looking around Arabia with Google Earth. I noticed something quite interesting--The "more fertile parts" that Lehi & Co. traveled through were actually green, while the rest of Arabia was a very dead, reddish-brown sand color.

Clearly, Joseph Smith, or perhaps Sidney Rigdon, had access to Google Earth. Possibly at the Cornell University Library. :P

Google Earth. Yes!

Last year at the time of the "Dubai Ports World" scandal, I went looking around Arabia with Google Earth. I noticed something quite interesting--The "more fertile parts" that Lehi & Co. traveled through were actually green, while the rest of Arabia was a very dead, reddish-brown sand color.

Clearly, Joseph Smith, or perhaps Sidney Rigdon, had access to Google Earth. Possibly at the Cornell University Library. :P

What does it matter if it's green now, or in 1830? Lehi & co travelled there 2,600 years ago. What was it like in 600BC?

This is a new one to me: "Google Earth Archaeology". I thought archaeologists dug in to the ground, not sitting at home viewing Google Earth.

Okay. Were the Olmec Jaredites? How many of the Olmec survived and mingled with the Nephite culture? According to the BoM, only one did, Coriantumr. And he survived a battle down to the last man. How then did Olmec influence and culture transfer through one man? This is not what the record says about the Olmec. It says many integrated with Mayan culture, and that it "flourished" until 400BC.

The Olmec flourished during the Formative (or Preclassic), dating from 1200 BC to about 400 BC, and are believed to have been the progenitor civilization of later Mesoamerican civilizations.

Yet according to the BoM, all of this was transferred through ONE man.

Oh, great.

Why on Earth do I have this song stuck in my head now?

Well, at least I know how to share. Enjoy all. :P

Chorus:

Slip sliding away,

Slip sliding away,

You know the nearer your destination, the more you're slip sliding away

Whoah and I know a man, he came from my hometown

He wore his passion for his woman like a thorny crown

He said Dolores!,

I live in fear!

My love for you is so overpowering, I'm afraid that I will disappear

Chorus

I know a woman, (who) became a wife.

These are the very words she uses to describe her life

She said a good day ain't got no rain

She said a bad day is when I lie in the bed and I think of things that might have been

Chorus

And I know a father who had a son

He longed to tell him all the reasons for the things he'd done

He came a long way just to explain

He kissed his boy as he lay sleeping then he turned around and he headed home again

Chorus

Whoah God only knows, God makes his plan

The informations unavailable to the mortal man

Were workin our jobs, collect our pay, believe were gliding down the highway when in fact we're slip sliding away

Chorus repeats 2x

This is a new one to me: "Google Earth Archaeology". I thought archaeologists dug in to the ground, not sitting at home viewing Google Earth.

Okay. Were the Olmec Jaredites? How many of the Olmec survived and mingled with the Nephite culture? According to the BoM, only one did, Coriantumr. And he survived a battle down to the last man. How then did Olmec influence and culture transfer through one man? This is not what the record says about the Olmec. It says many integrated with Mayan culture, and that it "flourished" until 400BC.

Yet according to the BoM, all of this was transferred through ONE man.

A close reading of the second paragraph of the Book of Mormon Title Page would reveal otherwise. But that's not the purpose of this thread, now is it?

What does it matter if it's green now, or in 1830? Lehi & co travelled there 2,600 years ago. What was it like in 600BC?

Indeed. 2000 years ago, North Africa was a verdant bread basket for the Carthage and Rome. Why not Saudi Arabia? There are several world-wide climate changing events in human history, one of which is the 535 A.D. event which affected that part of the world.

Weeelll, let me check the Google Earth archives.... um... YES! There it is -- yup, green! :P

While I'm here, let's check 0 BC... Ah, I had to go into Google Space (powered by Hubble) and man, that's an impressive sight! I'd better post it! STAR

HiJolly

Does this have nothing to do with Google Earth? So who diverted the thread?

Yes this was posted on the other thread about the olmecs... as well, and as to not derail the Olmec thread with the Old world Archeology, Cosiglieri made this thread and over there I linked to this with a disclaimer.

Archived