Seriously No Politics ×

Who is a widow supposed to marry...?

Lola

On 1/17/2019 at 6:15 PM, Calm said:

Not necessarily a second class citizen, often men and women just assume women love in different enough ways that no woman would actually want to be sealed to multiple men because she would only want to focus her love and attention on one. (This was the constant explanation I was hearing in my youth and adulthood back in 70s and 80s....don't hear it any more.)  So women are getting what they really want (one and only one husband) for individuals who believe that.

However, most women I know who feel that way want their husband to feel the same way and therefore polygyny is an evil idea.  Those who think generally a woman will want to be exclusive herself, but won't care about whether or not her husband is exclusive haven't really thought it through, I suspect.

And how many times have we heard the policy defended by appealing to the awfulness of expecting a man to lose the women he loved. Thankfully, I haven't heard that one for awhile but it takes the top spot for tone deafness. It shows progress, at least women's same feelings are being recognized now. I suspect the women only want one man buttressed the former rationalization. 

9 hours ago, The Airbender said:

I believe God's official doctrine is for you to marry your husband's brother :)

Only if childless.  (That Old Testament has solutions for so many things!)

Edited by Calm
7 hours ago, juliann said:

And how many times have we heard the policy defended by appealing to the awfulness of expecting a man to lose the women he loved

I always ask these days what they think should happen to women in the same position.  I am surprised by the number who go to polyandry as a possibility.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 1:22 PM, Lola said:

Anyone have a decent or real explanation? (other than God will work it out...)

I haven't read this thread, but you are actually asking whether you can marry a non-member.

The answer is Yes.

15 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I don’t think that’s what I got out of the question.  ? 

Telling her what she is asking is rather strange, imo.  I just love it when people tell me what I am "really" asking.

She was asking why her options were so limited, not asking for permission. (Was it fair; what was the explanation)

Edited by Calm
5 hours ago, cdowis said:

send you a telegram.

About as out of date as you thinking she wants your permission/information.

Reread her post.  She already knows.

"who am I supposed to marry?  Non-LDS or another widower obviously"

Edited by Calm
2 hours ago, cdowis said:

She asked, I answered.

When I need your opinion, I'll send you a telegram.

That’s rude and I assume you know that. Why go there?  This thread is about a woman’s genuine desire for companionship and feels disregarded.  I think your answer is dismissive because it doesn’t address her core need to be in an “equally yolked” marriage as the gospel primarily supports.