Seriously No Politics ×

Working for the Church looking more appealing

JAHS

"The Human Resource Department of the Church announced on June 28 changes to LDS Church employee benefits — including paid maternity leave, paid parental leave, an employee wellness program and center, dress standard refinements and a short-term disability benefit. 
“The Church continually strives to build the best work environment possible by aligning policies and benefits to help employees provide their very best work to building the Lord’s kingdom,” according to an article posted internally for Church employees. 
As part of the dress standard changes, women may wear professional pantsuits or dress slacks, in addition to skirts and dresses; men may wear white or light-colored dress shirts with ties. 
The changes also include up to six weeks paid maternity leave, one week paid parental leave, and a new short-term disability plan. 
Finally, the Church is now “offering a global employee wellness program, focused in four key areas: efforts to understand employee health needs; wellness education; convenient access to exercise facilities and healthy food options; and incentives.”

LDS Church announces changes to employee benefits and dress code

6 minutes ago, ksfisher said:
14 minutes ago, mnn727 said:

Its a start, but not even close to most major corporations benefits. 

I don't think the intention of the OP or the linked article was to provide a comprehensive list of all benefits. 

I wonder if Church members who are employed by the church, think of it as a calling in the church to some degree rather than only as a career and are therefore satisfied to accept fewer benefits, compared to employment with other corporations. 

53 minutes ago, JAHS said:

As part of the dress standard changes, women may wear professional pantsuits or dress slacks, in addition to skirts and dresses; men may wear white or light-colored dress shirts with ties. 

Does this mean that male Church employees may wear lavalavas in Samoa (and in other parts of Polynesia)?  Or kilts in Scotland?  (With an acceptable LDS tartan, of course).  What of countries where the burqa, niqab, and hijab are standard wear?  We don't want to offend anyone.  :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, JAHS said:

I wonder if Church members who are employed by the church, think of it as a calling in the church to some degree rather than only as a career and are therefore satisfied to accept fewer benefits, compared to employment with other corporations. 

Some may, some may not.  I've worked for the church, my wife does currently. 

I work for a non-profit.  I've found the culture of working for a non-profit to be very different than working for a for-profit business.  There are employees here who seem to think about their employment more in terms of "a calling" even though it has nothing to do with a church or religion. 

To reply to Nehor's question:  I dined with 4 COB employees just yesterday...these were four very large men wearing their required white shirts with their ties partially undone to allow for their necks to fit within the collars of their shirts and still accommodate their required ties.  Each of the tails on their shirts were untucked and ill-fitting.  Combined I would guess they topped 1,100lbs  I'm a trim 150lbs so the contrast was quite staggering. They sit at desks all day long munching on fast food and snacks and drinking mega gallon holding maverick refillable mugs of regular coke.  One complained about how he had added 100lbs since going to work for the church...as he gorged himself on his meal.

You will be removed from the thread if you keep this up.

3 hours ago, Johnnie Cake said:

To reply to Nehor's question:  I dined with 4 COB employees just yesterday...these were four very large men wearing their required white shirts with their ties partially undone to allow for their necks to fit within the collars of their shirts and still accommodate their required ties.  Each of the tails on their shirts were untucked and ill-fitting.  Combined I would guess they topped 1,100lbs  I'm a trim 150lbs so the contrast was quite staggering. They sit at desks all day long munching on fast food and snacks and drinking mega gallon holding maverick refillable mugs of regular coke.  One complained about how he had added 100lbs since going to work for the church...as he gorged himself on his meal.

:pirate:

5 hours ago, Johnnie Cake said:

Well if I weren't on a "limited" status I would kindly delete the post...but if somehow I've offended admin, please feel free to delete it for me

11 hours ago, Johnnie Cake said:

I'm 208 and none of it is fat, well a small amount is fat. Being 150 ain't nothing to brag about.

Edited by rodheadlee
12 hours ago, Johnnie Cake said:

Well if I weren't on a "limited" status I would kindly delete the post...but if somehow I've offended admin, please feel free to delete it for me

Perhaps there's a reason you're on 'limited status'  :beatdeadhorse:

Edited by mnn727
On 6/28/2017 at 10:18 AM, JAHS said:

Volunteer Callings in the Church are great. Earning a living from your job is good for paying the bills.

On 6/28/2017 at 2:09 PM, Johnnie Cake said:

Remind me never to eat with you. You sound like an antisocial weirdo who sits at social events quietly seething with an inferiority complex silently judging everyone else. Also 150 means you need to hit the gym and put on some muscle.

Oops, got here too late.

Edited by The Nehor