Seriously No Politics ×

Interview policy for 8 year olds

10 hours ago, Christian Mormon said:

Is there any policy in the handbooks prohibiting a parent from being present during a worthiness interview for the baptism of their 8 year old?

I think for baptismal interviews having a parent present is pretty standard in my experience.  It is from the later ages that it starts to lean towards more private interviews.

Sometimes I have parents with me during 8 year old interviews, and sometimes I don't (usually not, but parents being present happens more than just once in a blue moon for me). I go by how it feels when I greet them and invite the child in --- if it feels like I should invite the parent(s) in, then I do that, too. If a parent asked or insisted on being present, it wouldn't be a problem at all. 

It is a misnomer to refer to it as a worthiness interview. The purpose is to make sure the child understands what is happening - do they have a basic testimony, do they understand what baptism is about, do they understand what will happen. 

3 hours ago, Freedom said:

It is a misnomer to refer to it as a worthiness interview. The purpose is to make sure the child understands what is happening - do they have a basic testimony, do they understand what baptism is about, do they understand what will happen. 

That was my thought.  According to LDS Doctrine, I'm pretty sure there is nothing a 7-year-old could do that would make them "unworthy", since they haven't reached the age of accountability.

My mom was there for my baptismal "interview."  I had just watched a kid's science show on TV where they had made ice, and one of the characters said they "only like iced tea.  It's delicious!" (and they put the ice in some tea and drank it).  So the Bishop asks me about the Word of Wisdom, and tea gets mentioned, and I say "I only like iced tea.  It's delicious!" not even knowing what the heck that meant.  My mom gave me a look like "What the heck...?"  I can't remember what the Bishop said, but I still got baptized.

Edited by cinepro
12 minutes ago, cinepro said:

That was my thought.  According to LDS Doctrine, I'm pretty sure there is nothing a 7-year-old could do that would make them "unworthy", since they haven't reached the age of accountability.

My mom was there for my baptismal "interview."  I had just watched a kid's science show on TV where they had made ice, and one of the characters said they "only like iced tea.  It's delicious!" (and they put the ice in some tea and drank it).  So the Bishop asks me about the Word of Wisdom, and tea gets mentioned, and I say "I only like iced tea.  It's delicious!" not even knowing what the heck that meant.  My mom gave me a look like "What the heck...?"  I can't remember what the Bishop said, but I still got baptized.

:DKids.  They say the darndest things!!