Seriously No Politics ×

Mormon Leaks

5 hours ago, Danzo said:

Isn't it great that we can feel offended for someone else.  Even though we weren't in attendance,  its comforting to know that we can feel offended for someone years after the fact, just in case the person themselves didn't feel sufficiently offended at the time.

Someone who posted on a predecessor board to this used to joke about "the defenders of dead Mormon women" club that would turn out in full force whenever the subject of polygamy was brought up.

5 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Someone who posted on a predecessor board to this used to joke about "the defenders of dead Mormon women" club that would turn out in full force whenever the subject of polygamy was brought up.

I guess I'll assume that you missed the point then just as you and Danzo are missing it now.  

6 minutes ago, rockpond said:

I guess I'll assume that you missed the point then just as you and Danzo are missing it now.  

What made his joke funny is that some of those women who were being spotlighted for having allegedly been oppressed were very vocal in their support of the principle of plural marriage as it was then practiced in the Church of Jesus Christ.

As for whether Danzo or I are "missing the point," knowing that Julie Beck is no shrinking violet, I would love to hear her take on how she was treated in council meetings with the Brethren during the time that she served as Relief Society general president.

1 minute ago, Scott Lloyd said:

What made his joke funny is that some of those women who were being spotlighted for having allegedly been oppressed were very vocal in their support of the principle of plural marriage as it was then practiced in the Church of Jesus Christ.

As for whether Danzo or I are "missing the point," knowing that Julie Beck is no shrinking violet, I would love to hear her take on how she was treated in council meetings with the Brethren during the time that she served as Relief Society general president.

Yup.  You missed the point.  

Have you listened to the clip to see how she was treated?

59 minutes ago, rockpond said:

Yup.  You missed the point.  

Have you listened to the clip to see how she was treated?

Not yet. My viewing of those stolen videos has been limited, as I am squeamish about viewing them at all, knowing they were obtained dishonestly and that the theft violated confidentiality.

But if she had been abused or egregiously ill-used or oppressed in any substantial degree, I'm sure that would have been chronicled in graphic detail by now. So far, I've not seen it.

Edited by Scott Lloyd
6 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Not yet. My viewing of those stolen videos has been limited, as I am squeamish about viewing them at all, knowing they were obtained dishonestly and that they violated confidentiality.

But if she had be abused or egregiously ill-used or oppressed in any substantial degree, I'm sure that would have been chronicled in graphic detail by now. So far, I've not seen it.

Then you can't really comment on how she was treated in that meeting.  

And your second paragraph is a ridiculous straw man.  

43 minutes ago, rockpond said:

Then you can't really comment on how she was treated in that meeting.  

And your second paragraph is a ridiculous straw man.  

It's not a straw man at all.

If someone is endeavoring to find fault, it is logical he will select the most egregious example he can of misbehavior.

So far, the examples drawn from these stolen videos have been quite underwhelming.

20 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

It's not a straw man at all.

If someone is endeavoring to find fault, it is logical he will select the most egregious example he can of misbehavior.

So far, the examples drawn from these stolen videos have been quite underwhelming.

It's a strawman because nobody made such a claim. 

Perhaps you could consider what was actually stated about the video rather than some extreme claim that you made up. 

• 11 months later...
9 minutes ago, oklds said:

I'm a new convert, and kinda stupid, but don't we already have one?

This is kind of an old post...I am thinking that I was talking about a Mormon US President.  Welcome

This was an accident..a double post..

• 3 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:28 PM, oklds said:

Ha ha!  Made me laugh.

I think Jeanne missed the curve on this one.

And I do hope you never get that cruciatus curse working... ouch!