Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Evolving Views Since Joining Mormon Dialogue


Evolving Views Since Joinng Mormon Dialogue?  

41 members have voted

  1. 1. When I first joined Mormon Dialogue...

    • I was a "TBM"... but now I don't believe.
      6
    • I was a "TBM"... but now I have my doubts.
      3
    • I was a "TBM"... and still am.
      32


Recommended Posts

Posted
1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

OK but where do we send our tithes?  

 

 

(do I need an emoji here?,  nah I like to live dangerously....)

Hmm.  Lot's of good places to put your tithes to work. I guess the question is what does a donation have to meet to qualify as a tithe?

Posted
3 hours ago, Teancum said:

I am happy to learn more.

Any specific areas?

I saw a silly article today that defined Newton's place in history is the fact that he "discovered gravity"

I thought that was hilarious and shows how weird language can mess up "reality"-  I think possibly that even our monkey ancestors- IF you accept that paradigm- climbing around in trees were kind of "aware" of gravity since their lives depended daily on knowing a lot more about gravity than Newton did, at that time.

So it's language that messes things up.

And then I thought of course about "Columbus discovering America"  Same difference. ;)

I see a connection here between these kind of sentences and some standard criticisms of the church.

Anyway, I had a good laugh at the idea that Newton "discovered" gravity.   It sure feels like a category error to me  AND a mixing of Wittgenstein's "language games".

 

Posted
16 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Any specific areas?

I saw a silly article today that defined Newton's place in history is the fact that he "discovered gravity"

I thought that was hilarious and shows how weird language can mess up "reality"-  I think possibly that even our monkey ancestors- IF you accept that paradigm- climbing around in trees were kind of "aware" of gravity since their lives depended daily on knowing a lot more about gravity than Newton did, at that time.

So it's language that messes things up.

And then I thought of course about "Columbus discovering America"  Same difference. ;)

I see a connection here between these kind of sentences and some standard criticisms of the church.

Anyway, I had a good laugh at the idea that Newton "discovered" gravity.   It sure feels like a category error to me  AND a mixing of Wittgenstein's "language games".

 

Any good intro to philosophy books would be great. Something by Rorty. I read Sam Harris some and I believe he studied under Rorty.

Posted
3 hours ago, Teancum said:

Any good intro to philosophy books would be great. Something by Rorty. I read Sam Harris some and I believe he studied under Rorty.

I have a whole new thread dedicated pretty much to this stuff.   I do not know Sam Harris'stuff,  I will have to read up on him because apparently he knows how to say it to ordinary smart folks- I have seen him quoted many times.

Posted
21 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

I have a whole new thread dedicated pretty much to this stuff.   I do not know Sam Harris'stuff,  I will have to read up on him because apparently he knows how to say it to ordinary smart folks- I have seen him quoted many times.

I am starting to read your new thread. I will try to participate.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...