YHWH's Divine Images

Hey, everybody! Some friends here have asked about this in the past, so I'm happy to let y'all know that my new book, YHWH's Divine Images: A Cognitive Approach, is now available. While hard copies are available for purchase at Amazon and other booksellers, I chose to publish it as an open-access volume, so a PDF of the book is freely available for download at this link:

https://www.sbl-site.org/assets/pdfs/pubs/9781628374407.pdf

Here's a brief description of the book:

In YHWH’s Divine Images: A Cognitive Approach, Daniel O. McClellan addresses the longstanding question of how it is that divine images could be referred to as if they both were and were not the deities they represented. Drawing insights from the fields of cognitive linguistics and the cognitive science of religion and applying them to the remains from first-millennium BCE Egypt, Mesopotamia, Anatolia, Israel, and Judah, McClellan develops a theoretical framework for divine agency and divine images in ancient Southwest Asia that explains this apparent paradox. He then applies that framework to the Hebrew Bible to show that the presence of the God of Israel was similarly manifested through material media devoted to communicating the divine.

If this is a topic that interests you, I hope you enjoy the book, will share it widely, and will let me know what you think!

2 hours ago, Dan McClellan said:

Hey, everybody! Some friends here have asked about this in the past, so I'm happy to let y'all know that my new book, YHWH's Divine Images: A Cognitive Approach, is now available. While hard copies are available for purchase at Amazon and other booksellers, I chose to publish it as an open-access volume, so a PDF of the book is freely available for download at this link:

https://www.sbl-site.org/assets/pdfs/pubs/9781628374407.pdf

Here's a brief description of the book:

If this is a topic that interests you, I hope you enjoy the book, will share it widely, and will let me know what you think!

Wow yes,  thanks for making it available - I love Art History and am very interested in the whole idea of "representation".  I will definitely read it.

In the 20th century of course "correspondence to reality" was THE issue in both philosophy with the concerns about the correspondence theory of truth, the development of post modernism, and the rise of Pragmatism and Process theology.  ;)

image.jpeg      Or is it?  ;)

Edited by mfbukowski

Getting started-

Love that you did the illustrations, and simply a great idea to give the images a personal warmth that fits itself with the purpose of the book- your aura permeates them and in their way presents your presence as much as the text. 

I am also sure it would have been a nightmare getting all photo credits straightened out!

I wish I could draw ! 

Also love the conclusions at the end of the chapter: simply a great way to organize a tome like this where a reader may already be familiar with some of the  ideas behind the text, to help them "connect the dots" to create a far richer understanding than they may have already received. 

On 9/9/2022 at 9:00 PM, InCognitus said:

I'm impressed, and you do your own illustrations too.  Nice!  I enjoyed your Youtube videos that touched on these topics.  Thank you.

Youtube?

I had no idea!

On 9/14/2022 at 10:03 AM, InCognitus said:

Yeah, here's his channel:    https://www.youtube.com/user/maklelan/videos

And this (related to the thread topic):

Great stuff, thanks.

46 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Great stuff, thanks.

His TikTok channel is amazing too: https://www.tiktok.com/@maklelan?lang=en 

I've learned a lot from it. Dan is an exceptionally good communicator. Who would have thought that a channel explaining critical Bible scholarship could garner 214,000+ thousand follows (and millions of likes) on a platform geared to the under-30 crowd?

On 9/14/2022 at 10:03 AM, InCognitus said:

Yeah, here's his channel:    https://www.youtube.com/user/maklelan/videos

And this (related to the thread topic):

Images online of deceased relatives.

Temple work for the dead becomes a type of resurrection....

The earth created by naming chaos... "They called their work the third day".  

John 1... all is created by the Word,

The personification of the Word .. Jesus..saves us from the chaos of sin...

Edited by mfbukowski
42 minutes ago, Nevo said:

His TikTok channel is amazing too: https://www.tiktok.com/@maklelan?lang=en 

I've learned a lot from it. Dan is an exceptionally good communicator. Who would have thought that a channel explaining critical Bible scholarship could garner 214,000+ thousand follows (and millions of likes) on a platform geared to the under-30 crowd?

Sorry about my misunderstanding your position on the other thread.

I'm not familiar with your posts and the color of your uniform  ;)

7 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Sorry about my misunderstanding your position on the other thread.

I'm not familiar with your posts and the color of your uniform  ;)

Ha ha, no worries. I can be hard to pin down. "A double-minded man [is] unstable in all his ways” (James 1:8). That said, I've been posting here since 2003 ;)

1 hour ago, Nevo said:

Ha ha, no worries. I can be hard to pin down. "A double-minded man [is] unstable in all his ways” (James 1:8). That said, I've been posting here since 2003 ;)

Yes but I recollected your persona in a blue uniform but here you were in a yellow one.

Now I can see the true blue a little bit better.  

Actually I understand being misunderstood myself- everyone seems to think I am an "Anti" while in fact I am only a little like that on certain days. ;)

6 hours ago, Calm said:

An Anti in general or to something specifically?

Fundamentalism/literalism is at the bottom of every "anti" argument we see on this board or anywhere else I think.   But ultimately it is just one paradigm among many each with their own methods of alleged justification.   Every paradigm put out there implies some kind of metaphysics or cognitive state upon which some agree and some disagree.

On the other hand, mine is the one that is always right.  :)

Even Bertrand Russell, the father of positivism knew it could not be "proven".

But that is for my next post to Dan, below.  But it ain't there yet!

Edited by mfbukowski

@Dan McClellan

Page 24, Divine Images, I have used italics added for emphasis

The third insight is what I refer to as body-agency partibility. As a result of the Eurocentric reification of the mind as the locus of cognition, this is generally referred to as “mind/body dualism” in the cognitive sciences, but this is an imprecise and infelicitous term that is too often equated with Cartesian duality. 6 In short, the sensitivity of our minds to mental agents in the world around us does not necessarily posit a body. This again is thought to be a byproduct of the universal experiences of human infancy. Around the end of the first year of life, infants begin to intuitively perceive that thoughts and motivations are different from things, that people have different mental attitudes, and that those mental attitudes can be hidden and can differ from bodily states and behaviors (Kinzler and Spelke 2007; Boyer and Barrett 2016). The result is the perception that psychological agents are “in here,” while physical objects—including the body— are “out there” (Wellman 2014, 266). These intuitions remain into and throughout adulthood (Forstmann and Burgmer 2015) and interact with sociocultural frameworks and influences to result in the production and propagation of a variety of entities associated with cognition (e.g., “mind”), emotion (e.g., “heart”), animacy (e.g., “spirit,” “life force”), and selfhood (e.g., “soul,” “Ego”).7 As children begin to be able to engage in contemplation and imagination about the nature of these loci of agency—unobservable as they are—they also contemplate and imagine their constraints, and particularly the degree to which they are and are not confined to the body, and most importantly, their continued existence after death (Bering and Bjorklund 2004; Astuti and Harris 2008).

As a fan of Pragmatism and using Richard Rorty as a posterboy since he is allegedly a very "lucid" philosopher- I have noticed that it is very difficult for some to imagine a world without this kind of dualism, and placing what we know as "reality" as results of human perception and cognition alone. 

My personal paradigm is that the world would be a better place if we could see all our beliefs as based on individual experience shared in the human community through communication and "truth" in a variable context determined by what fulfills our own personal visions of our "best selves" 

I recall a little chat with my son at age two or three where he threw out a fairly deep comment about something, and I asked him "How did you know that?" and his answer was even more surprising than his comment,  He said:  "My brain told me"!

I am sure that my views had filtered down to him and somehow influenced his views even at this early age.

I know that it is likely that my paradigm of "Heavenly Father" includes a projection of what is to me, the Ideal Human and others may have their own pictures of an Ideal Human which are similar or different from mine.   I have also experienced the "still small voice" inspiring me with ideas which seem to be not my own- and being what "my brain" and ideas which are NOT included in my library of experiences .  In my paradigm, I see these as "revelations"

But my question is this- considering its early development, can these notion about what is "in here" and what is "out there" be changed after a certain age?

My present view is pretty much captured by my siggy from Rorty, and of course influenced by James and Wittgenstein:

" To say that the world is out there, that it is not our creation, is to say, with common sense, that most things in space and time are the effects of causes which do not include human mental states.  To say that truth is not out there is simply to say that where there are no sentences, there is no truth, that sentences are elements of human languages, and that human languages are human creations.

Truth cannot be out there- cannot exist independently of the human mind- because sentences cannot so exist, or be out there.  The world is out there, but descriptions of the world are not.  Only descriptions of the world can be true or false.  The world on its own- unaided by the describing activities of human beings- cannot."   Richard Rorty- Contingency Irony and Solidarity, P 5.

Why is it so difficult for many to adhere to this paradigm?   Is dualism around these issues forever inevitable?  What does it take to change people's way of seeing what's "in here" and "out there"?   How is it possible my son got it at age 3 without ever being overtly taught such ideas?

Edited by mfbukowski
7 hours ago, Steve Thompson said:

In response to the question:

How is it possible my son got it at age 3 without ever being overtly taught such ideas?

I suggest you take a look at Born Believers The Science of Children's Religious Belief, by Justin L. Barrett.  

Thanks. 

As I recall though he was fascinated by construction cranes and wanted to be a crane operator and figured out why cranes had to be so tall to get a horizontal bar long enough to reach across the full diameter of a building.

He could play with legos all day, and did.  He now teaches STEM and is a robotics team competition coach.

It fits, even with your point I think.

Like all LDS humans, ;) even God, ;) he was organizing his universe from Legos unorganized.