Seriously No Politics ×

How is the ministering going?

8 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

And I think that's the point - more freedom to follow through or not on those tasks. It's been a hard look in the mirror re: my own stewardship. Why did I complete my home teaching more frequently when it was monitored more? With no one in the leadership following up on my ministering assignments and no reporting out each month, will I still reach out or not? I have not reached out to everyone assigned to me - not even close. I used to be able to use the 'micro-management' complaint before this ministering program. Now, I can't even use that as an excuse. We do our at home gospel instruction about 75% of the time though and we still carve out family time on Monday nights almost every week. ; )

This is the reason I love ministering so much more.  I would so much rather people come to see me because they want to instead of because they have to. I want to be a priority because you (general you) want me there, not because you will be in trouble.  If you haven't seen me without a monthly call then it was your "have to" list that was the priority and not me. I'm not willing to make your "have to" list my own priority any more.

38 minutes ago, Rain said:

This is the reason I love ministering so much more.  I would so much rather people come to see me because they want to instead of because they have to. I want to be a priority because you (general you) want me there, not because you will be in trouble.  If you haven't seen me without a monthly call then it was your "have to" list that was the priority and not me. I'm not willing to make your "have to" list my own priority any more.

That makes absolute sense. Conceptually, I get it. I want to have contact with someone who wants to have contact with me and not someone who - although very nice - simply wants to get their numbers in. Visits motivated by more admirable motivations set the stage for potentially powerful things to transpire. 

6 hours ago, Teancum said:

As my faith was waning I met with my bishop and SP and discussed a lot of things but let them know I had no desire to remove my name and visits were welcome.  The we got a new bishop and shortly before that we stopped attending.  But the  new bishop was the person who had been my prior home teacher.  After that crickets.  Then a friend from the ward took me out to lunch and we talked though he was not interested in the details behind my loss of faith and I did not push it.  He did say he was not happy our EQ President had not reached out or sent a ministering brother to see us.  I told him anyone was welcome.  Still no contact.  THen maybe 12 months  later the new bishop who was our former home teacher (for many years) stopped by and we talked about where we were at in a bit more detail. It was a nice chat and like he always had been he was very kind. Again we said we were fine with contact.  But after that, no contact at all other than the text I mentioned.

I see.  Well, I'm sorry that you have had a dearth of contact despite your wishes to the contrary.  I know from personal experience that, too often, we tend to get wrapped up in our own little packages.

Here is an out of the box idea:  Why not have an “Opt out” list for home teaching?  

There are some members of the ward that really need home teachers.   On the other hand, there are those who don’t need / want a home teacher.   The few times in my 57 years that I’ve had a HT show up, we’re  just excruciating.  Why have people suffer through that?  I don’t want them to come; they don’t want to be there—it’d be a win-win.