Jump to content

Thoughtposting General Conference


Chum

Recommended Posts

Racking up my first 25 posts by posting my GC opinions here.  Feel free to opine.

Liking: The living-room in a studio motif - Old choir footage & the opportunity to revisit Mustachio & Guy w/ Eyes - New smaller closed captioning.

Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Chum said:

I'm glad Brother Bednar didn't suddenly age again. Seems like he's going to plateau here for a while.

His quote about he and Susan looking into their old food storage and not starting another pandemic made me laugh and think of my in-laws food storage that we recently went through and disposed. Scary stuff in there, stuff from world war 2! Pity the guy who bought their home, he's aware though, that they had a about a semi-truck full of coal buried in their back yard many, many years ago.

I'm glad Bednar admitted there hasn't been much mentioned about food storage of late. But that we must still prepare, maybe a little differently, IMO.

 

Edited by Tacenda
Link to comment

Bro Bednar's talk is a little testy.

I expressed that tests aren't part of the learning process but my kids overruled me. Four said he learns from tests and they others said they really liked taking tests because they didn't have to study for them.

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

His quote about he and Susan looking into their old food storage and not starting another pandemic made me laugh and think of my in-laws food storage that we recently went through and disposed. Scary stuff in there, stuff from world war 2!

Wow. That's really impressive.  A plague in embryo.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Chum said:

Had a negative opinion about the sister's do. Sincere apologies to women everywhere for being part of the problem.

Really enjoying this sister's talk!! As a woman it speaks to me. The man in the store with cat food in his cart and her thinking of something to say to reach out and him saying that it was his birthday. I'd imagine he was awfully lonely and probably appreciated so much her birthday wish for him. Makes me want to do better! 

Welcome to the board Chum! What's your story?

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Chum said:

I'm a bit incensed about the reasons behind someone feeling shame in church after a spouse ditches them.

Yeah, that's too bad, but a lot of women take blame for so many things that aren't theirs to have to take. 

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Really enjoying this sister's talk!! As a woman it speaks to me. The man in the store with cat food in his cart and her thinking of something to say to reach out and him saying that it was his birthday. I'd imagine he was awfully lonely and probably appreciated so much her birthday wish for him. Makes me want to do better! 

Welcome to the board Chum! What's your story?

Another good talk for sure. Taking the lesson to heart.

I recently arrived as NoahVail but my username was similar to an anti-Church troll. Trying again.

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Yeah, that's too bad, but a lot of women take blame for so many things that aren't theirs to have to take. 

My wife of 25 years left a couple years back. It was awesome. Lots of relief all around, including from folks at church.

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Yeah, that's too bad, but a lot of women take blame for so many things that aren't theirs to have to take. 

We guys are so often clueless about stuff sisters are tuned into.  Pretty sure that's tied to your point. Trying to map it out.

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Chum said:

I am deeply jealous of those who attend milt-cultural wards. I fantasize that Sundays there aren't dominated by a single ideological viewpoint.

As a native Utahan I am right there with ya! I guess I could visit multi cultural wards in the Salt Lake area sometime, but I know they probably speak a different language. And I speak only English, at one time I wanted my daughter and her Catholic hispanic husband to attend the Spanish LDS ward, but that didn't happen. Now I'm an inactive member, but still like to watch conference, sometimes I'm critical of some of the talks, but also take the good I can from them.

Edited by Tacenda
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

As a native Utahan I am right there with ya! I guess I could visit multi cultural wards in the Salt Lake area sometime, but I know they probably speak a different language. And I speak only English, at one time I wanted my daughter and her Catholic hispanic husband to attend the Spanish LDS ward, but that didn't happen. Now I'm an inactive member, but still like to watch conference, sometimes I'm critical of some of the talks, but also take the good I can from them.

+1 (Can't vote yet)

Link to comment

In a single sentence, Oaks minimized protests and went right to behavior that was the exception.

This turned out to be an unfair and incorrect assessment.  In my defense, the stream cut out after this and I missed a lot of his talk (& important context).  Still, I could have waited before reacting. I'll do better.

Edited by Chum
I WAS WROOOOONGGGGG
Link to comment

I'd love clarification about our responsibilities to follow laws that are born entirely out of corruption, ones that are literally written by lobbyists and passed into law as a direct response to large campaign donations.

It creates a scenario where ethics can be purchased. It would bring a lot of peace if this were not okay.

Link to comment

I'm sure loving Pres. Oaks' talk! Very pleasantly surprised at some of these talks! I am on "limited" and cannot comment as much as I'd like. I'm only allowed so many posts and then I'm cut off. Today is the first time in a long time that I wish that was taken off and that I was allowed more comments, especially on this thread! I'm usually glad I don't have many posts because I talk too much. 

So I've got to limit myself but will follow this thread, take care Chum.

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...