Marching band

Rain

I love what marching band can do for kids, but I won't be sad to not hear the drums and horns first thing in the morning! I know the season lasts longer here, but I don't remember hearing them the whole semester long the last few years.

12 minutes ago, Rain said:

I love what marching band can do for kids, but I won't be sad to not hear the drums and horns first thing in the morning! I know the season lasts longer here, but I don't remember hearing them the whole semester long the last few years.

My marching band was finished the 3rd week of October but they begin practice the last week of July. 

5 hours ago, Rain said:

Growing up in So Cal, our tradition was to go into Pasadena to watch the Rose Parade on New Year's... Over the years the number of marching bands has increased until we now have bands from schools/univs/groups all over the United States participating... Imagine how exciting it is for the kids to go to march in the Rose Parade (many bands holding several fund raisers to pay their way).  I agree, it's a worthwhile, wholesome activity for kids to be involved in...

GG

I loved being a part of marching band!  I'm sad that my kids probably won't get the chance.  I didn't care that much about parades but marching at the half time of football games was so much fun!  My band director was a way into marching though and we did marching competitions in middle school and high school.  It was a big deal in my school.  It's not that big of a deal where we are now.

29 minutes ago, Garden Girl said:

Growing up in So Cal, our tradition was to go into Pasadena to watch the Rose Parade on New Year's... Over the years the number of marching bands has increased until we now have bands from schools/univs/groups all over the United States participating... Imagine how exciting it is for the kids to go to march in the Rose Parade (many bands holding several fund raisers to pay their way).  I agree, it's a worthwhile, wholesome activity for kids to be involved in...

GG

My high school band from Wyoming marched in that parade every two years.  I agree it's an awesome opportunity.