Northern California Fires

bluebell

Thanks for that article on the impact on LDS members.

With the power out, and with no generators in chapels or stake centers (along with no solar panels on the roofs), they could not be used as effective emergency evacuation centers -- if need be.  We probably need to ask whether church bldgs should be built with future emergencies in view.  Do we need to build earthquake, tornado, and hurricane-proof chapels and temples?

4 hours ago, bluebell said:

I served my mission in the Santa Rosa mission and specifically served in Ukiah and eastern Santa Rosa, where whole neighborhoods are completely gone.  It's very sad, but good to know so many people are safe.

LDS Dramatically Impacted by Wildfires

My son served there as well, such a sad number of events, all other the U.S.

3 hours ago, Oliblish said:

I have relatives there.  They had to evacuate in the middle of the night without any warning.  By morning they lost everything they owned except the clothes they were wearing.  I think they are still in shock.

How large is the family? Do they have a place to stay?

16 hours ago, bluebell said:

I served my mission in the Santa Rosa mission and specifically served in Ukiah and eastern Santa Rosa, where whole neighborhoods are completely gone.  It's very sad, but good to know so many people are safe.

LDS Dramatically Impacted by Wildfires

There was a large conference for nurses here in Houston during the week. One nirse I picked up from Hobby Airport to drop her off at her hotel was from the Santa Rosa area and her stories were devestating. I had previously known from past riders that much of California was warmer than usual this year. I was hoping no major fires would break out but unfortunately they have. It’s all very sad but I really like how the LDS Church watches out for its missionaries and members during natural disasters. That alone is very inspiring.  

Edited by Darren10
19 hours ago, Oliblish said:

I have relatives there.  They had to evacuate in the middle of the night without any warning.  By morning they lost everything they owned except the clothes they were wearing.  I think they are still in shock.

I can't imagine how difficult that would be.

4 hours ago, bluebell said:

I can't imagine how difficult that would be.

I can't either...suddenly there is nothing..it would be hard first to comprehend that mentally...imagine just life pictures and stuff we all take for granted.  Wishing all of them a place that is safe and where beginnings are surrounded in love and support. 

Edited by Jeanne
  • 2 weeks later...

I understand that, because of the strong winds, a fire could send burning debris and start fires many miles away.  People who had been told  that they were safe found themselves getting away with only the sound of the fire in their neighborhood alerting them.  They literally had only minutes to escape.

Edited by cdowis