Looking for a quotation of Joseph Smith

Duncan

I seem to recall and could be wrong in this but I seem to recall a statement made by Joseph Smith where he says he was reading from the Book of Mormon, after of course it had been translated. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I seem to recall and could be wrong in this but I seem to recall a statement made by Joseph Smith where he says he was reading from the Book of Mormon, after of course it had been translated. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thank you!

Doesn't ring a bell with me, but I can imagine some people would give a lot to hear Joseph Smith reading from the Book of Mormon before it had been translated. :)

1 hour ago, ksfisher said:

Doesn't ring a bell with me, but I can imagine some people would give a lot to hear Joseph Smith reading from the Book of Mormon before it had been translated. :)

Yes, I clearly remember reading a quote from the prophet Joseph Smith wherein he said he read aloud from the Book of Mormon as he was teaching a congregation of the saints. Can't find it at the moment.

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

Are you looking for evidence he quoted the Book of Mormon in a sermon or that he had it with him and read from it?

30 minutes ago, Calm said:

Are you looking for evidence he quoted the Book of Mormon in a sermon or that he had it with him and read from it?

no, I think it was a diary entry or something saying he had read from the Book of Mormon that day or night or whatever

8 minutes ago, Calm said:

So personal study kind of thing that then led to him mentioning it in a sermon or reference to someone else?

yeah, could be I thought it was a diary entry but I could be wrong though. Basically he was still reading it after it had been published

Yep, we try to answer all questions and even most rants (unless they are really abusive, but then they usually use fake addresses).  Have people assigned to remind us when we miss one.  The only problem is a lot of people make mistakes with their email addresses and unless it is obvious like the dot missing or "gmail.co", we can't send them answers.  I always feel bad when that happens.  Hard to feel like you are being ignored.

Edited by Calm

Here's an interesting fact: My internet searching on this subject has revealed that there is very little documentary evidence tto show that he prophet Joseph Smith used the Book of Mormon when teaching and preaching the gospel. I know for certain there is at least one quote from the History of the Church where the prophet said he read aloud from the Book of Mormon while teaching a congregation of the saints (have not yet found it), but aside from that one scant reference there is little else to document that the prophet who translated the Book of Mormon actually used the text Book of Mormon as a teaching tool.

In fact, my searching reveals there have been a fair number of people throughout the years who have have been wondering about this very thing . But It must be remembered just because there's very little extant evidence to demonstrate the Prophet Joseph Smith used the Book of Mormon text as a teaching tool, that doesn't mean he didn't actually quote from the text often while teaching.

But if the prophet did in fact rarely use the Book of Mormon text in his teaching and preaching, one has to wonder why this would be so? Perhaps the Lord warned him not to do it too often because doing so might have been misconstrued as being self-serving. Perhaps his work of translation was enough and for some wise purpose in the Lord it has left it to other prophetic leaders to unfold the meaning of the Book of Mormon to the saints.

Edited by Bobbieaware
On 9/8/2017 at 1:28 PM, Duncan said:

Are you referring to his brother Hyrum reading to Joseph and the other two about charity, while at Carthage Jail that final day?

The fact that they took the volume with them to Carthage says quite a bit...Joseph knowing that (Carthage) was his parting sermon.

Edited by hagoth7
1 hour ago, hagoth7 said:

Are you referring to his brother Hyrum reading to Joseph and the other two about charity, while at Carthage Jail that final day?

The fact that they took the volume with them to Carthage says quite a bit...Joseph knowing that (Carthage) was his parting sermon.

it could be, do you have the reference on hand?

5 hours ago, Duncan said:

it could be, do you have the reference on hand?

D&C 135

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/135.4?lang=eng#p3

Also, Elder Holland referenced this event/passage in conference not too long ago.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2009/10/safety-for-the-soul?lang=eng

(scroll down to the paragraph that begins with "Never mind...")

Edited by hagoth7