Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

This morning, I watched this week's BYU Denvotional Address from June 27th, by Eva Witesman.

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/eva-witesman_women-education-future-god-see/

Troubling things for our time  - a clear time of tribulation.

She teaches that women are supposed to be educated and to prophesy (and all sorts of similar heresy). ^_^

I recommend: 

1. Watching/listening.

2. Or figuratively turning off the mic (by muting the TV).  

Your choice. 

 

Thoughts?

Edited by hagoth7
Posted

Just in case any are unintentionally offended...

I highly recommend llistening to this devotional.

Apologies to any if my attempt at humor failed.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

"And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:" (Joel 2:28)

This is one of the verses that Moroni quoted to Joseph Smith as recorded in Joseph Smith History 1:41.

...along with Malachi's promise of hearts turned.

Hmm.

Edited by hagoth7
Posted

And Kings shall be nursing fathers to the Jews, and Queens nursing mothers. :) 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, hagoth7 said:

This morning, I watched this week's BYU Denvotional Address from June 27th, by Eva Witesman.

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/eva-witesman_women-education-future-god-see/

Troubling things for our time  - a clear time of tribulation.

She teaches that women are supposed to be educated and to prophesy (and all sorts of similar heresy). ^_^

I recommend: 

1. Watching/listening.

2. Or figuratively turning off the mic (by muting the TV).  

Your choice. 

 

Thoughts?

An otherwise fine post that was marred by the gratuitous dig about turning off the mic. 

By the way, it was never considered heresy in the Church of Jesus Christ that women would prophesy. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

An otherwise fine post... 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

...that was marred by the gratuitous dig about turning off the mic. 

I understand and appreciate your preference for somber discourse.

I take to heart a Conference talk that says it is healthy for us to be cheerful (and even laugh) about our occasional imperfections, mistakes,  and  foibles. That we shouldn't take ourselves so seriously that our face would crack if we broke a smile.

That said,  I was one of few people who went on record to agree with you....days ago, when you expresed the opinion that a recent joke about turning off the mic, made from the pulpit/chapel during sacrament meeting. was misplaced dark humor.

This, however, is not the chapel, nor is it sacrament meeting. I don't wear a (figurative) tie or jacket here.  But if greater formality suits you, by all means, have at it.

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

By the way, it was never considered heresy in the Church of Jesus Christ that women would prophesy. 

I know.

And heresy was never preached in that devotional.

Those who know me know the headline was 100% hyperbole.

In the past years here, I've occasionally rubbed you wrong (unintentionally). We're simply wired very differently. But I respect what you do.

Edited by hagoth7
Posted
31 minutes ago, hagoth7 said:

Thanks

I understand and appreciate your preference for somber discourse.

I take to heart a Conference talk that says it is healthy for us to be cheerful (and even laugh) about our occasional imperfections, mistakes,  and  foibles. That we shouldn't take ourselves so seriously that our face would crack if we broke a smile.

That said,  I was one of few people who went on record to agree with you....days ago, when you expresed the opinion that a recent joke about turning off the mic, made from the pulpit/chapel during sacrament meeting. was misplaced dark humor.

This, however, is not the chapel, nor is it sacrament meeting. I don't wear a (figurative) tie or jacket here.  But if greater formality suits you, by all means, have at it.

I know.

And heresy was never preached in that devotional.

Those who know me know the headline was 100% hyperbole.

In the past years here, I've ocassionally rubbed you wrong (unintentionally). We're simply wired very differently. But I respect what you do.

I accept and thank you for your clarification and apologize for seeming too strait-laced. 

The whole episode of the hi-jacking of sacrament meeting to push a political and social cause has me a bit on edge, I'm afraid. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I accept and thank you for your clarification and apologize for seeming too strait-laced. 

Thank you. Very much. But no apology is needed.

Please let me clarify: I don't consider you to be too strait-laced.

Simply more so than I choose to be.

My response wasnt' intended as criticism. It was intended as explanation for us being wired differently.

I don't fault you *at all* for being different.

The world is a better, more interesting, more vibrant place with variety.

9 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

The whole episode of the hi-jacking of sacrament meeting to push a political and social cause has me a bit on edge... 

Understood. No worries.

As a journalist, it's your job to be vigilant.

Edited by hagoth7
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...