Help with friend who loves the church but is gay

bsjkki

Help.  I have a single young adult friend you just graduated from college in the Boston area.  He has served a mission and stayed active but is gay.  He needs support.  Does anyone know of mormon and gay support groups. (That are not into Mormon bashing.  He is really uncomfortable with angry members who just want to bash the church.)  He doesn't want to hurt his family but is tired of being alone but also loves the church.  I just see this situation as untenable.  He either leaves the church, hurts his family, forsakes his covenants and is able to date and have relationships or he is active but forever lonely (and fighting depression and despair.)  I don't know what to say to him except we will always be there for him.

One more question.  Are any of you openly gay in your wards?  How do people respond?  He feels like he's not able to be himself and I think it could be healthier for him to just be open about his orientation.  I think the ward could be very supportive.  Is this a good or bad idea?

Edited by bsjkki
On 8/12/2016 at 10:16 AM, bsjkki said:

Help.  I have a single young adult friend you just graduated from college in the Boston area.  He has served a mission and stayed active but is gay.  He needs support.  Does anyone know of mormon and gay support groups. (That are not into Mormon bashing.  He is really uncomfortable with angry members who just want to bash the church.)  He doesn't want to hurt his family but is tired of being alone but also loves the church.  I just see this situation as untenable.  He either leaves the church, hurts his family, forsakes his covenants and is able to date and have relationships or he is active but forever lonely (and fighting depression and despair.)  I don't know what to say to him except we will always be there for him.

One more question.  Are any of you openly gay in your wards?  How do people respond?  He feels like he's not able to be himself and I think it could be healthier for him to just be open about his orientation.  I think the ward could be very supportive.  Is this a good or bad idea?

There is a community at Utah Valley University that is associated with multicultural center.  They do community outreach and have ties to other LGBTQ groups in Utah County.  

Here is their website:

https://www.uvu.edu/multicultural/lgbt/