Today I saw a lovely film, "The Young Messiah," about a seven-year-old Jesus during the year when he and his family returned from Egypt to Nazareth, and then went to Jerusalem for Passover.  The script is expertly rendered by Betsy Giffen Nowrasteh, based on the novel by Ann Rice, Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt.  Cyrus Nowrasteh directed it, and Joel Ransom did the beautiful camera work.  It was shot in Italy with lots of Italians, but with British actors in the lead (Sean Bean as the centurion, for example), and Satan was played brilliantly by Rory Keenan.  I frankly loved it, and was even brought to tears at a couple of points.  Parents should take their children.

I kept thinking:  Why can't Mormon film makers see that this is the correct approach also to any attempt to film Book of Mormon drama.  We need to be true to the times and places.  We shouldn't compromise.

On 3/11/2016 at 10:54 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

I kept thinking:  Why can't Mormon film makers see that this is the correct approach also to any attempt to film Book of Mormon drama.  We need to be true to the times and places.  We shouldn't compromise.

If we could all agree on the place that would help.

We also have a much smaller audience which also sadly means a much smaller budget. Make a film about Christ and a huge percentage of the population of the earth will be interested or at least know what it is talking about. Not so much with the Book of Mormon.

11 hours ago, The Nehor said:

If we could all agree on the place that would help.

We also have a much smaller audience which also sadly means a much smaller budget. Make a film about Christ and a huge percentage of the population of the earth will be interested or at least know what it is talking about. Not so much with the Book of Mormon.

Even with a small budget, a lot of good can be done.  Why waste money on poor quality at all?  The Book of Mormon does have some huge dramatic possibilities, especially with the theft of jewels and gold by Laban and his subsequent murder by Nephi.  The visions in I Nephi could be produced with state of the art digital systems, scenes from Lehi and Jeremiah preaching in Jerusalem could be depicted, and the desert trek in Arabia could be very interesting (recall "Lawrence of Arabia"?).  The Liahona alone is enough to conjure up the best of sci fi, or of fantasy adventures with Merlin the Magician.

On 3/11/2016 at 9:54 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

Today I saw a lovely film, "The Young Messiah," about a seven-year-old Jesus during the year when he and his family returned from Egypt to Nazareth, and then went to Jerusalem for Passover.  The script is expertly rendered by Betsy Giffen Nowrasteh, based on the novel by Ann Rice, Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt.  Cyrus Nowrasteh directed it, and Joel Ransom did the beautiful camera work.  It was shot in Italy with lots of Italians, but with British actors in the lead (Sean Bean as the centurion, for example), and Satan was played brilliantly by Rory Keenan.  I frankly loved it, and was even brought to tears at a couple of points.  Parents should take their children.

Why when they've spent so much money building sets for shots, probably many places in Utah.  But agree wholeheartedly.  They need actors and scenes to be as authentic as possible.  

I'll be honest, I'm always somewhat hesitant about speculative portrayals of the Saviour. They're fun to imagine, fun to discuss and talk about, but especially among some of my Evangelical friends, who disparage my own extra-biblical portrayals of Jesus, these works are often treated as Gospel.

I mean...the most complete work regarding the childhood of Jesus written close to that time period is the Infancy Gospel of Thomas, and I'm almost sure that its portrayal of the Saviour would horrify most Christians.

On 3/15/2016 at 0:48 PM, halconero said:

I'll be honest, I'm always somewhat hesitant about speculative portrayals of the Saviour. They're fun to imagine, fun to discuss and talk about, but especially among some of my Evangelical friends, who disparage my own extra-biblical portrayals of Jesus, these works are often treated as Gospel.

I mean...the most complete work regarding the childhood of Jesus written close to that time period is the Infancy Gospel of Thomas, and I'm almost sure that its portrayal of the Saviour would horrify most Christians.

Yet you should see this one and judge for yourself.  It is well done, even though it is based on a book written by Ann Rice, the vampire book lady.

I have! I got invited by my friend, an Evangelica-turned-Mormon-turned-Evangelical-again who I've maintained a relationship with. I'm not one to turn down most invites, so I went. I won't argue that it isn't well made, just that I always get cautious with these types of movies, as well as the reaction to them the Sola Scriptura community has.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2016 at 11:54 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

My wife and I really enjoyed The Young Messiah. I think the actors who played Joseph and Mary did an incredible job. I was especially impressed with the young boy who played Jesus.