Seriously No Politics ×

Is The Church Sexually Repressive?

I suppose that the church is swimming up stream with its chasity code. But then again, years ago it was the norm for many schools to have such rules. And also it was not encouraged to live with the opposite sex or to have premarital sex. But the world has moved on and the church as stood still and is now being accused of being sexually oppressive because of its moral code. However, the truth is quite simple: mormons can choose to have sex outside of marriage. Nothing actually stops them from doing so. And one can have sex at byu. However, one just may need to find a different school afterwards but why should this matter? One can have sex with  mulitple partners while attending different universities and colleges throughout utah and in other colleges throughout the usa.

No  christian church can give its okay to sex outside of marriage. But they may not discipline the member if they do.

Actually they can and do. With the help of parents and Church teachers live up to to it. I am an old convert. Baptized at the age of 20 and got married in the Temple.

I was baptized at 8, and if I was asked about chastity, my prepubescent mind did not register it. Everything else I remember.

Only a BYU football games. ;):lol:

The title of the thread is about the church, not the school, and I'm posting with that in mind.

This is an article posted by an alleged BYU student on how she wants to make so BYU can be a place where students are allowed to have sex.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/college/news/a29830/sex-ban-brigham-young-university/

As I read it, I found it entirely fascinating. I don't believe her story at all. The reason being is her alleged experience in the Church is so different from mine or anyone else I know. I can't imagine any of the many bishops I have had banning a young woman from even attending Church for a month for claiming that a return missionary sexually assaulted her. Nor do I believe that people, especially younger people in the Church are as judgmental as she seems to think they are. Most people in my generation and younger (under 30) couldn't care less if a person has had sex before or not. In fact, some guys may prefer that the girls they date aren't virgins.

Stories like these remind me of my sister, who having left the church, now tries to paint our leaders growing up as terrible people. I was there. I know them. So I just don't believe any of this.

Is this a is the Pope Catholic kind of question?

"Is the Church sexually repressive?"

An interesting title, below is a the perspective of LDS Dr.

"To be feminine is to suppress or disconnect from sexual desire, or feel ashamed of its presence.

This theorized suppression of sexual desire and knowledge aligned with the experiences of most LDS women in my research. It also fits with much of my LDS clientele. In my experience, many if not most LDS women struggle pre-maritally and in marriage to integrate a sense of legitimate sexuality and desire. Many women are naïve about their own capacity for pleasure and allow themselves little room to explore and take ownership of this part of themselves, even when husbands are encouraging and openly long for more sexual connection. This sexual immaturity can, of course, cause deep frustration with a higher desire marital partner; but a bigger problem, in my mind, is that it represents a fractured relationship with oneself, an unwillingness to be in a mature relationship with one’s own body, one’s own sexuality, and an important source of strength."

Dr. Jennifer Finlayson-Fife, "Lets talk about sex"

As another has noted, someone who does therapy for people with sexuality concerns does not see people without those concerns, by definition. It is therefore a false conclusion to declare that most people are sexually oppressed. The other thing is this: I'm sure there are lots of people outside the Church who are hung up on this or that sexuality issue. I don't see why anyone would think that LDS are particularly hung up.

I've been a member of the Church since I was 14 years old in 1966, and even in those benighted times the only thing I ever heard that related to sexuality was: (1) Don't masturbate, and (2) Don't have sex outside of marriage. I never heard the first thing about the appropriateness of such things as different sexual techniques, positions, the use of toys, or anything else. Nor did I get much in the way of extra-curricular instruction via private conversations with friends who were members. After marriage, I didn't discuss my sexual activities with anyone except my wife, and nobody tried to discuss theirs (OR mine) with me. When I served as a branch president in a servicemen's branch in Germany, a newly married husband asked me in an interview if a certain sexual practice was OK or not. I told him that if he and his wife felt OK about it, then do it, but if not, then don't do it. In short, I told him if he was worried about it to consult with the Lord.

I just don't get this sexual oppression junk. God didn't give us sex so we could be ashamed of it. All He wants is for us to enjoy it within its proper parameters, i.e. within marriage.

Edited by Stargazer

Every time I see discussions like this, I can't help but ask myself "are people really saying 'are the brethren and the church sexually repressive?' when they should be asking 'is God sexually repressive?'"  The whole thing to me, comes down to believing that commandments come from God - given through prophets - or not. 

If God commands it - then you either follow, or rebel against God.  If you don't believe God gave the commandment, then we should be having an entirely different dialogue - discussing and dissecting specific commandments is pointless unless your premise is that a man or group of men is arbitrarily deciding what those commandments are.

Edited by Maestrophil