Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

15 Million - Growing?


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

It's like a 9 or 10 step process that even includes trying to locate them via social media.   :)  I think it's good to encourage a bit more work at finding these lost sheep (even though many of them WANT to be lost).  Our full-time missionaries are helping us as well.  Our stake even has a full time pair of "YSA Rescue" missionaries.  Some cool things happening.

 

Since the church is now all internet savvy, they really should institue an "unsubscribe" option.  At least a "manage notification" option. 

 

Between missionaries, bishops, home teachers, visiting teachers, quorum presidents... and the revolving door of all of those positions... it'd be nice if new leadership could look at the church record and see, "Oh... Brian has a 'contact every 6 months' checked but has unchecked the rest of the boxes."

 

I mean, if I can do that with my Domino's Pizza online profile, I should be able to do it with my church profile.

Edited by Brian 2.0
Posted

 

I mean, if I can do that with my Domino's Pizza online profile, I should be able to do it with my church profile.

Sure, if Church membership and participation were remotely comparable to a "Domino's Pizza online profile."

 

If people regard it like checking boxes and an online profile, that kind of tells you everything you need to know about a person.

Posted

Sure, if Church membership and participation were remotely comparable to a "Domino's Pizza online profile."

 

If people regard it like checking boxes and an online profile, that kind of tells you everything you need to know about a person.

 

I know tone is hard to read in posts, but my tongue was firmly in my cheek for most of that post.

Posted

It's like a 9 or 10 step process that even includes trying to locate them via social media.   :)  I think it's good to encourage a bit more work at finding these lost sheep (even though many of them WANT to be lost).  Our full-time missionaries are helping us as well.  Our stake even has a full time pair of "YSA Rescue" missionaries.  Some cool things happening.

Oh thought you were about to launch into a 12 step program sermon...we get so any of those in Church any more that it sometimes sounds like a gigantic AA meeting...hm maybe that is why we are growing.

Posted

Is anyone privy to the statistics of these 'other' churches that President Uchtdorf was referring

to or was he just cheerleading?

 

Thanks,

Jim

Pres. Uchtdorf is generally correct, and this has been true for some time.

However, I just heard that Islam is the fastest growing religion in the USA.  Is that true?  If so, should we debate the number of Muslim converts who remain "active"?

Posted

Pres. Uchtdorf is generally correct, and this has been true for some time.

However, I just heard that Islam is the fastest growing religion in the USA.  Is that true?  If so, should we debate the number of Muslim converts who remain "active"?

 

That would be an a very interesting experiment indeed. Living in the United Arab Emirates I have never heard of any form of counting membership that my Muslim friends are aware. They pray at any mosque of their choice though they will obviously use the mosque located next to their residence. The degree of observance among Muslims varies widely; there are a great number of Muslims who do not pray five times a day; may drink alcohol; and do many things that are in conflict with Islamic teaching; however, they clearly define themselves as Muslim.  

 

It is my understanding that Islam is counted as the biggest religion in the world today. It would also not surprise me to hear that it is the fastest growing religion in the USA.  There is a great deal of comfort that can be drawn from Islamic culture and teaching. It is a world that is often drawn in black and white with a stated reliance on science to prove their teachings. 

Posted

Attending sacrament meeting is not a saving ordinance, baptism is.    When I read about argument of the church's size, and activity or lack thereof, I recall that once a person is baptized, s/he accesses the atonement.    Seems to me that for earthly measures, that should be enough to call someone a Saint, however the person struggles with living or wanting to live those baptismal covenants.

Attending sacrament is not a saving ordinance, in fact it is not an ordinance at all. However under the keys of the Priesthood the sacrament is administered by the priesthood and thus the sacrament itself is an essential part of our saving ordinance, as we worthily partake of the sacrament the blessings and covenant of our baptism are renewed, including most importantly to have as a constant companion the Holy Ghost. As you rightly recall once a person is baptized they have access to the atonement, full access is only available through the worthy partaking of the sacrament on a regular basis.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...