Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Byu New Testament Commentary


Recommended Posts

Posted

Mark Thomas's essay can be read here.

What a disaster...

Yet another thread where you are sharing something you don't like. What's up with that? I'd rather hear about something you do like. How long do I have to wait for a thread like that from you?
Posted

This essay is good. The subject of the essay is bad. Did you even read the article or are you just assuming something?

Why would I want to read something you said was a disaster? Looked to me like you were quoting something you didn't like.

I'll take a look at it now, since you said it was good. You might want to brush you on your skills for advertising.

Posted

Okay, I read it. More bad news. Why don't people just talk about what they like instead of finding things to find fault with.

We can all do better than that.

Posted

Okay, I read it. More bad news. Why don't people just talk about what they like instead of finding things to find fault with.

We can all do better than that.

Because people need to be informed about what they are likely to want to invest in, especially if their resources are limited and/or it is costly.
Posted

Okay, I read it. More bad news. Why don't people just talk about what they like instead of finding things to find fault with.

Sounds to me like you're finding fault with Thomas's article :) Thomas did, in fact, mention two presentations that he enjoyed (Kent Brown's and Eric Huntsman's). If you're saying that Thomas should only have offered praise, well then I must disagree with you—particularly in this instance.

I didn't have the high hopes for the commentary project that some on this board did, but I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. It looks like it will be another generation at least before LDS scholars as a group get around to engaging the past 200 years of critical scholarship on the Bible.

Posted

This conference sounds more like something that is a Utah-centric, LDS approach to the New Testament. I don't really have a problem with it IF it was combined with serious scholarship that is on a par with other Christian academicians. I feel like I need both in order to get a complete picture and to make proper judgments and prayerful considerations as I strive to learn more about the Savior and the early saints.

Posted

Sounds to me like you're finding fault with Thomas's article :)

Only the part where he talked about what he didn't like, and yes it would be better for me to talk about the part I liked rather than the part I don't like but I'm only trying to explain what I meant when I got on this merry-go-round to talk about things we don't like. According to the OP, the point of this thread is to talk about what we do not like, both in general and specificially in regards to the things the OP said he didn't like.
Thomas did, in fact, mention two presentations that he enjoyed (Kent Brown's and Eric Huntsman's).
Yes, and had he simply pointed out the things he liked while then going on to talk about some other things he likes and would have liked to see in that project, without saying anything negative about it, this thread would have gotten off to a much better start.
If you're saying that Thomas should only have offered praise, well then I must disagree with you—particularly in this instance.
Praise and positive thoughts, more like. I'm just getting more and more tired of all of the bad news. We need to focus more on the good things in life, don't cha know.
I didn't have the high hopes for the commentary project that some on this board did, but I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. It looks like it will be another generation at least before LDS scholars as a group get around to engaging the past 200 years of critical scholarship on the Bible.

Or they could just start now once they are made aware of what people like. But for that to happen it would help to talk about what we like instead of what we don't like. Positive input is always better than negative criticism, don't cha know.

You have derailed the topic with bickering. You are out.

Posted
We need to focus more on the good things in life, don't cha know.
So isn't your criticism of other people criticizing focusing on the bad, not the good?
Posted

Come on, Cal! It's much better to brush over that which we don't like.

Honestly, if you think the author of John, 1 John, and the Revelation are the same or that the author of Romans is the same as Hebrews...then there are huge problems!

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...