Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Bookstores And Online Sales-Is There A Dip In Book Profits?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Friend in Calgary, Alberta said the LDS bookstore there is going out of business. I know that Edmonton to the north has one and Cardston to the south has one as well. I was wondering how this can be given that a Temple was just dedicated there not 6-7 months ago, has anyone noticed other LDS bookstores bellying up or has the printed material industry taken a hit due to online sales and e-books and whatnot?

Posted

What wil

Friend in Calgary, Alberta said the LDS bookstore there is going out of business. I know that Edmonton to the north has one and Cardston to the south has one as well. I was wondering how this can be given that a Temple was just dedicated there not 6-7 months ago, has anyone noticed other LDS bookstores bellying up or has the printed material industry taken a hit due to online sales and e-books and whatnot?

What will they do about the clothing/garment section in the bookstore? It's been in the last year or so that they've consolidated the two, atleast here in my town.
Posted

The lds bookstore in billings Montana went out of business a few months ago. They were just too expensive and the owner was a bit off. She was pushy and it made it uncomfortable to shop in the store.

There never was a garment part of the store.

Posted

The lds bookstore in billings Montana went out of business a few months ago. They were just too expensive and the owner was a bit off. She was pushy and it made it uncomfortable to shop in the store.

There never was a garment part of the store.

oh, jeepers creepers! yeah, that stinks to go into a store with pushy people

Posted (edited)

What wil

What will they do about the clothing/garment section in the bookstore? It's been in the last year or so that they've consolidated the two, atleast here in my town.

The one in Calgary, which I worked at for a year or so, was privately owned, neither that one or the one in Cardston was connected with Deseretbooks (Calgary was called Beehive Books and Cardston Cardston Books) and didn't have a church clothing section, just sold T-shirts kind of thing. It carried scriptures and some church distribution stuff, but it cost more than ordering through the church due to customs, overhead, etc. It was a pretty small store, though if I recall there was talk of opening a second one in Calgary shortly after I left, but I don't know if that ever happened due to moving down to the States (sniff...not that I don't love where I am now, but Calgary was home for almost 15 years, the longest I ever lived anywhere and the first place I loved after my hometown).

The bookstore was nowhere near the temple...well, not that far away, probably half an hour to 45 minutes (trying to remember how long it took to get to work since the temple is past my house about 15 minutes the other way, so its location in regards to the temple wasn't a good place.

Edited by calmoriah
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...