why me Posted October 10, 2012 Posted October 10, 2012 (edited) These former GAs spoke like they had spark plugs in them. [media=] Edited October 10, 2012 by why me
cesc101 Posted October 10, 2012 Posted October 10, 2012 These former GAs spoke like they had spark plugs in them. [media=] Holy Ghost fire [mode activated]... lol
JAHS Posted October 10, 2012 Posted October 10, 2012 (edited) Perhaps the lack of teleprompters back then gave them more sense of freedom to say what they felt was right at the moment and therefore able to put more emotion in to it. Edited October 10, 2012 by JAHS
nosmelone Posted October 10, 2012 Posted October 10, 2012 It seems only a handful have found the way to restore the emotion when reading the teleprompter and of course Holland and Eyering are two that can do that on a regular basis. I think that Christopherson is finially doing it as well at least as he spoke in the Priesthood session. I hope to see more talks from Echohawk in the future as well.
why me Posted October 11, 2012 Author Posted October 11, 2012 The teleprompter can make one seem stiff. But George A.Smith is this video does sound like a protestant preacher. It would be interesting to hear a sermon by Joseph Smith. I would assume that he spoke with with emotion and fire, modeling himself after the protestant preachers.
Calm Posted October 11, 2012 Posted October 11, 2012 It seems only a handful have found the way to restore the emotion when reading the teleprompter and of course Holland and Eyering are two that can do that on a regular basis. I think that Christopherson is finially doing it as well at least as he spoke in the Priesthood session. I hope to see more talks from Echohawk in the future as well.Minor point....it is Echo Hawk...two words in his last name not one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Echo_Hawk. I just happened to notice the spelling this conference when it flashed on the screen, most of the time I don't pay close attention to such things.And two fs instead of ph in Elder Christofferson. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._Todd_Christofferson
Cobalt-70 Posted October 11, 2012 Posted October 11, 2012 (edited) It's not just teleprompters. Mormon culture has changed. George Albert Smith (like , if you have heard his recordings) was probably more like the old-style preaching that I imagine Joseph Smith and Brigham Young to have used. They were undoubtedly influenced by Methodist camp meetings of their youth. 19th century preachers had to speak very loudly and forcefully because there were no microphones, and the congregations were sometimes rather large. Their style of preaching was probably quite animated, and might seem rather Protestant if we heard it today.In the last several decades, in most of our church meetings we have taken to using hushed tones and a stylized manner of speaking that is totally different from our normal speech. We get really still and quiet when we say something we think is particularly important, as if we are sharing some solemn secret. We speak in a breathy voice, which has a slow, lilting, lullaby quality, which is one of the reasons why it is so hard to stay awake during General Conference. Edited October 11, 2012 by Cobalt-70
Duncan Posted October 11, 2012 Posted October 11, 2012 Minor point....it is Echo Hawk...two words in his last name not one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Echo_Hawk. I just happened to notice the spelling this conference when it flashed on the screen, most of the time I don't pay close attention to such things.And two fs instead of ph in Elder Christofferson. http://en.wikipedia...._Christoffersonjust a point on that I wonder if they will spell his name as Elder Larry E. Hawk or just stick with Echo Hawk. I noticed they did that with Elders Ted E. Brewerton and Charles Didier who were at one point Teddy E. Brewerton and Charles A. Didier
Calm Posted October 11, 2012 Posted October 11, 2012 (edited) His last name is Echo Hawk, Echo is not his middle name. There is a story behind it, iirc it was one of his greats' nickname which became his legal last name when the white gov. registered him at the new reservation. Edited October 11, 2012 by calmoriah
Recommended Posts