Mitt'S Not The Only Mormon Running For President

Stargazer

Mitt Romney is not the only Mormon running for President! I'm not referring to John Huntsman, but to Yeah Samake, who is a black Mormon running for President in the country of Mali in Africa.

Samake and his family are the only members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) in Mali. Samake first encountered the church through his work with the Peace Corps and Ouelessebougou Alliance. One Peace Corps volunteer left him an English Book of Mormon, which he read. Later, in the US, he wanted to be baptized, but was initially refused because of the LDS Church's policy on baptizing citizens of Islamic countries. Mali is 90% Muslim, and the church worried that if he converted to Mormonism his life would be in danger. After convincing church leaders that Mali is a country with religious freedom, he was baptized in 2000 in New York. He reports that he faces no discrimination in Mali due to his faith.

I wasn't aware there was a policy against baptizing citizens of Islamic countries, but one can certainly understand the concern.

Edited to add: There's also an article about this man in Meridian Magazine.

Stargazer;

I just read through the Wiki article on Samake. He's quite an idividual. I thorouoghly enjoyed learning of his position on education and on working directly with local governments as opposed through one large central government. It never ceases to amaze me how much more efficient and more freedom-based localizing political power is as opposed oto concentrating such power in one central organization. Federalism is indeed real. also, i thought I was a loner being one ofthe only Mormons in middle school ad high school, both of which were fairly sizable. Yeah Samake is the only Mormon in his country. He'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for brining this man to attention.

I'm not sure that the election is going to occur as there was recently a coup in Mali.

I wonder if anyone's thinking of trying something similar to prevent the Mormon from being elected in this countr— ...

Nahhhh! ;)

I'm not sure that the election is going to occur as there was recently a coup in Mali.

That's a good question, for sure. Br. Samake is apparently agitating to get back to civilian government.

Mali has a lot going on at the moment. The northern part of the country has basically seceded and I guess the Malian army took over the govt because the then administration was an incompetent mess. The north of the country is now being run by some kind of coalition of Muslim Brotherhood organizations. Or so I have been able to piece together.

Interesting times in Mali, for sure.

Archived