Romney "Bully" Story Implodes

BCSpace

The original copy:

“I always enjoyed his pranks,” said Stu White, a popular friend of Romney’s who went on to a career as a public school teacher and has long been bothered by the Lauber incident. "But I was not the brunt of any of his pranks."

The changed copy, my emphasis:

“I always enjoyed his pranks,” said Stu White, a popular friend of Romney’s who went on to a career as a public school teacher and said he has been "disturbed" by the Lauber incident since hearing about it several weeks ago, before being contacted by the Washington Post. "But I was not the brunt of any of his pranks."

http://www.breitbart...y-No-Correction

This is not unlike the MSNBC's doctored 911 Zimmerman call only this time, there is no apology.

The Brietbart story has been corroborated by other sources. The WaPo piece was not researched to their supposed "gold standard". Further, whatever you think of Brother Romney's politics, his character and actions as an adult have shown him to be the kind of person who is called as a Stake President. Mr. Obama, whatever you think of HIS politics, has said that he spent the last two years of his high school experience in a haze of drugs and booze. But hey, he never cut anyones hair, so I guess it's all OK.

What it means is that there is less than anecdote to this accusation. I was impressed by Romney's response which handled it very well. The interesting thing is this smear and other tactics trying to get Romney off message have backfired and Romney, only slightly ahead in the polls and within the margin previously, has now surged ahead and has for the first time reached 50% nationally according to Rasmussen.

There is an excerpt of Obama's book that not only talked about his being in a "haze" his last 2 years of high school because of his drug use and enthusiastic drinking... but also one telling in his own words of an incident where he pushed a girl and she ran away (so does this make him a bully?).

It cracks me up... every time the Obama camp tries to put something out about Romney it does backfire... i.e., Romney put the dog in a carrier on the roof of the car... Obama ate the dog...

Romney cut a guy's longish hair... Obama tells about pushing a girl...

I think it's telling that the Obama camp goes back 47 years to when Romney was 17 to offer insight into his (as Candy Crowley on CNN put it) "character." Now really, did any of us do silly or questionable things when we were 17???

The "victim's" sister says she didn't ever know of the incident so it couldn't have been very noticeable, and also that if her brother was still alive he'd be "furious about this story"... her words.

GG

I suspect that much of what we're seeing right now is just stuff being floated out there in preparation for the big guns that will be brought to bear - from both sides - after the conventions. I know there are some attack dogs on Obama's side (and these will be "independent" of the Obama campaign) who are just salivating to go after Romney's religion. On the other side, it appears that disaffected Hillary supporters, angry about the 2008 primary fight with Obama, are supplying Republican sources (also "independent" of the Romney campaign) with some very interesting Obama information - stuff that the Democratic party powers-that-be wanted suppressed once it became evident that Obama was going to be the anointed candidate.

I remember that 2008 was a bit of an anticlimax once McCain and Obama became the candidates after the conventions. I think that it's going to be quite a bit different and far more contentions this time around. After all, the far left has been in the political wilderness far too long to give up power without a fight.

I think that it's going to be quite a bit different and far more contentions this time around.

If true, all I can say is I want to move back to Canada (as long as I can take all my neighbourhood with me that is).

One good thing I saw today... on CNN I think... was two evangelicals, one the Rev Jeffries that was so adamantly against Mormonism calling us a cult, etc etc, and another apparently well known also, both -- while not over enthusiastically, but at least positively -- speaking about Romney as sharing the same values as evangelicals. Rev Jeffries did not mention "cult" but did reiterate that there were differences between EVs and LDS, while at the same time mentioning our common ground and shared values as being very important... the other man said that one could not look at Romney's life and not know that he shared the same values as evangelicals whether one agreed with his religion or not.

So this is a good thing and I think will be encouraging to EV voters in being able to support Romney.

GG

If true, all I can say is I want to move back to Canada (as long as I can take all my neighbourhood with me that is).

Could actually be quite interesting; perhaps we'll see reprints of East coast 19th century anti-Mormon cartoons

One good thing I saw today... on CNN I think... was two evangelicals, one the Rev Jeffries that was so adamantly against Mormonism calling us a cult, etc etc, and another apparently well known also, both -- while not over enthusiastically, but at least positively -- speaking about Romney as sharing the same values as evangelicals. Rev Jeffries did not mention "cult" but did reiterate that there were differences between EVs and LDS, while at the same time mentioning our common ground and shared values as being very important... the other man said that one could not look at Romney's life and not know that he shared the same values as evangelicals whether one agreed with his religion or not.

So this is a good thing and I think will be encouraging to EV voters in being able to support Romney.

GG

Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but the antipathy for Obama among EVs must be pretty strong for something like this to happen.

ERayR:

I'm old but not so old that I don't remember the incredibly stupid things I did at 17. But as an adult with/without children I never once put a dog on top of a car and kept it there for 12(or any amount of time) hrs of driving. Nor did I, as a teen, conspire with others to assault someone simply because of their looks. Every business I've ever been in I've tried my darndest to make it a succcess. I sure didn't strip it of its assets, fire the employees, and sell the remainder at a profit to myself.

ERayR:

I'm old but not so old that I don't remember the incredibly stupid things I did at 17. But as an adult with/without children I never once put a dog on top of a car and kept it there for 12(or any amount of time) hrs of driving. Nor did I, as a teen, conspire with others to assault someone simply because of their looks. Every business I've ever been in I've tried my darndest to make it a succcess. I sure didn't strip it of its assets, fire the employees, and sell the remainder at a profit to myself.

One at a time:

First - the dog was not tied to the roof he was in a comfortable kennel. My dogs used to ride in the back of my pickup with their heads hanging over the edge and tongues hanging out and loved it no matter how long the journey.

Second - From the latest reports I have seen the report of the hair cutting never happened per the supposed victims sisters. The supposed victim having died from liver cancer (probably brought on by the haircut). Again the supposed victims sisters say it never happened.

Third - When one takes on the job of saving companies that are in trouble you sometimes find those who can not be saved. When this happens you salvage what ever you can. From what I can ascertain Mr. Romney was quite successful in saving companies and keeping them in business. It appears that he saved a lot of jobs that would otherwise have been lost. But you already knew that.

ERayR:

Let's do one at a time. First it is illegal to put any animal on top of a vehicle. It is animal cruelty. Secondly it is dangerous to the animal any accident or sudden stop can injure or kill the animal. We're supposed to be smarter than our pets.

Romney himself confirmed he did in fact form a gang "posse", and assault a younger and smaller kid.

No; Romney's Bain Capital wasn't in the business of "saving or creating" jobs.

One of Romney’s Bain business partners has said that he “never thought of what I do for a living as job creation.” “The primary goal of private equity is to create wealth for your investors,” he added. And Bain has certainly done that, maximizing earnings “by firing workers, seeking government subsidies, and flipping companies quickly for large profits.” Due to a lucrative retirement deal, Romney is still making millions from Bain, as he goes across the country calling himself “middle class” and joking about being “unemployed.” [HT: Greg Sargent]

This morning on C-Span I watched Romney deliver the commencement speech at Liberty University. To his credit, Romney did not use the opportunity to politicize in any way... he only made a couple of indirect general references to the current political situation as they might impact the grads. As he spoke of faith, personal responsibility, personal choices, service to others, etc,, I tried to imagine such a heartfelt and encouraging speech coming from any number of his political opponents and I truly couldn't... couldn't.

GG

edit to add: Oh, he did make one statement... in speaking of family, he said that he viewed marriage as being between one man and one woman... for which he got a standing ovation. That was the only statement that could be cited as overtly political.

when one witness says he didnt know anything about the event until the WP contacted him and another's brother says that he is prone to exageration, so to speak, and the family of the alleged victim has no clue what they are talking about chances are it's total nonsense.

i should think we should expect politics to sink to any low possible this campaign cycle

Archived