Another "Baptizing Dead Jews" Article

Zeta-Flux

This has already been discussed extensively over on the "General Discussions" forum in a thread titled "Let's End This Stuff Already."

I suggest, rather than having two threads going on the same topic, all discussion be confined to the existing thread on "General Discussions."

That would be a good idea, if all of us were able to participate in that discussion.

From the article:

"We sincerely regret that the actions of an individual member of the church led to the inappropriate submission of these names," Michael Purdy, a spokesman for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said in a statement issued Monday. "We consider this a serious breach of our protocol, and we have suspended indefinitely this person's ability to access our genealogy records."

I wonder if we're suddenly going to start hearing from Radkey complaining that the Church is locking her out of the genealogical database?

Also:

Wiesel and another top official said Romney should help prevent church members from posthumously baptizing Holocaust victims, The Washington Post reported.

Romney? Romney who?

Regards,

Pahoran

Like they will listen to Romney if they disregard the Church's instructions?

I find it exquisitely ironic that at a time when many people only ever use the word "church" between "separation of" and "and state," some people seem to automatically assume that a politician is the go-to guy if a church does something they don't like.

Regards,

Pahoran

The most the Church can do is set guidelines and ask members to follow them. Do people understand how much genealogy is put into the system annually? How is the Church supposed to keep track of every name turned in by members and be able to confirm that the member is following the rules?

Frankly, I don't understand why the Church would ever agree to anything that they cannot control explicity. The best they can do is state that we have standards in place and sometimes they will be broken by individual members. Another option would be to allow the infamous Radkey to peruse the records (which she obvivously is doing with some gusto) and report directly to the Church her findings in order to allow the Church to stop the process quickly and easily. However, if Radkey's real objective is her own notroriety and a desire to embarrass the Church....well I guess we already know the answer since she has yet to ever report directly to the LDS Church so they can most quickly remedy the situation. I can only assume she is really not concerned with the ordinances happening, but creating a sensation. It is a little bit like National Enquirer writers; could not care less about the topic, but if they can "sell" the paper, they will write it. I do not see any need to read or listen to anything this pitiful person writes, says, or does. She is not really concerned about stopping the temple work at all.

It's too bad they can't put some kind of filter in place that will automatically kick back a jewish person for further review or permission or something.

As far as I can tell, the complaint is specifically about Holocaust victims being baptized posthumously, not Jews in general. It would be easy enough for the Church's computer programmers to compile a list of Holocaust victims and their vital information, have the computer compare a person's temple submission against that list, and have a verification process to ensure the person submitting the name is actually a descendent of the Holocaust victim. For that matter, they could announce in General Conference, and send a letter around to wards, that members are not to do proxy work for Holocaust victims unless they themselves are direct descendants, just to get people's attention, and discipline people if they do. They could do more to prevent temple work being done for Holocaust victims, it really wouldn't be that hard. The real question is do they have the will to do it?

Archived