Jump to content
Seriously No Politics Ă—

Mitt Romney, Mormonism And Absurdity,


Recommended Posts

Posted

I have had a few discussions with atheists on huffington post who claim that all religious people are insane for believing in some extraterrestrial supper human. I have tried in vane to have them identify an atheist leader who is demonstrably more capable than any given religious zealot. I am still waiting.

Posted (edited)

You don't need to be scared. Everything that could be thrown at the Church has been thrown, multiple times, and the Church remains healthy and vibrant. I kind of get a kick out of the attention.

Edited by Minos
Posted

I have had a few discussions with atheists on huffington post who claim that all religious people are insane for believing in some extraterrestrial supper human. I have tried in vane to have them identify an atheist leader who is demonstrably more capable than any given religious zealot. I am still waiting.

A "supper human" . . . Would that be someone like a Jesus to the cannibalistic Catholics? :) (Seth's hyperbolic characterization, not mine.)

Posted

A "supper human" . . . Would that be someone like a Jesus to the cannibalistic Catholics? :) (Seth's hyperbolic characterization, not mine.)

Oh great, how you are criticizing me for my spelling. I'm going to take my bat and my ball and go home. :angry:

Posted

I don't see why the link needed to be deleted. Posters link to things all the time. And it's Seth's public blog. I think the deletion was rude. It was a good blog post. If I did something wrong, I'm not aware of it. I've posted to links before.

Posted

Additionally, when I posted this, the title had "by Seth Payne", and I'm wondering why that was deleted? It makes it look like I created the title, when I clearly put, "by Seth Payne" in the title of the post. I don't get it.

Posted (edited)

Mostly it would because Payne is a person who posts here, and the forum rules don't allow personal topics or posts.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers
Posted

When you've risen to the status of a D. Peterson or B. Hamblin you'll be able to link to your own writings all the day long.

Until then...kiss the ring.

Posted

I don't see why the link needed to be deleted. Posters link to things all the time. And it's Seth's public blog. I think the deletion was rude. It was a good blog post. If I did something wrong, I'm not aware of it. I've posted to links before.

Anyone who wants to can easily find the blog you referred to by entering the name payne and the title of this OP. So stop whining about the quirks of this or that moderator and ask your question.

I have read the blog and found it cute and filled with irony, but find myself asking "so what?" Is there an issue you want to discuss? What disturbs you more, the disingenuous nature of American politics, or the notion of superhuman extraterrestrials in someone's mind?

Posted
When you've risen to the status of a D. Peterson or B. Hamblin you'll be able to link to your own writings all the day long.

Until then...kiss the ring.

I had thought that some here might be interested in -- and might otherwise be unaware of -- a few of the things to which I've provided links.

But if my posting here (or my manner of posting here) irritates or offends you, please feel absolutely free to complain to the moderators. (I take it that you haven't done that yet.) I've stopped participating on another message board where I was once active, and I've severely reduced my participation on this one, and doing so has left me with far more time for other (and often much more productive) things. Reducing my participation here still further, if it came to that, or even withdrawing altogether, wouldn't be a great negative for me, from my perspective. So you needn't worry about offending me.

Posted (edited)

In the meantime, pending moderator action, let me say that I like Seth Payne's remarks, and think that Seth's point is very well taken.

Any belief can be unfairly and uncharitably caricatured and made to look weird and wholly irrational -- including atheism, secular humanism, agnosticism, liberal Protestantism, evangelicalism, fundamentalism, or whatever putatively "elite" or "Bible-believing" standpoint has been adopted by the specific anti-Mormon mocker in question.

.

Edited by Daniel Peterson
Posted

I've stopped participating on another message board where I was once active, and I've severely reduced my participation on this one, and doing so has left me with far more time for other (and often much more productive) things. Reducing my participation here still further, if it came to that, or even withdrawing altogether, wouldn't be a great negative for me, from my perspective.

Is part of the reason why you have reduced your participation is because of the nastiness you have experienced? I know what you mean about doing more productive things. I have also thought about reducing my participation or at least taking a break. But I know if you left altogether, it would be a great loss to this board.

Posted

I had thought that some here might be interested in -- and might otherwise be unaware of -- a few of the things to which I've provided links.

Which I believe was W2K's mere intention as well.

But if my posting here (or my manner of posting here) irritates or offends you, please feel absolutely free to complain to the moderators. (I take it that you haven't done that yet.)

Not at all.

I was simply offering an explanation for W2K's moderation complaint, which appears to be a simple case of status perks. It's a compliment to you actually!

Posted

I left the other board entirely, yes, because of the personal hostility and nastiness there, and because, after years of effort involving probably hundreds of hours, I couldn't really think of anything substantial that I'd accomplished with that expenditure of time. And, yes, there's a lot of unpleasantness on message boards generally. Anonymity isn't good for some people.

The cost/benefit ratio of participation on message boards seems pretty low, by and large. And -- I'll be honest -- when I'm sniped at by people on my own "side" (which happens occasionally, though not often), my typical reaction is "I just don't need this." Hostility from critics I can take without much problem, even though, sometimes, it's truly vicious and unjust. From fellow members of the Church? That disturbs me. Much more easily. I have a lower threshhold for it.

Posted

The cost/benefit ratio of participation on message boards seems pretty low, by and large. And -- I'll be honest -- when I'm sniped at by people on my own "side" (which happens occasionally, though not often), my typical reaction is "I just don't need this." Hostility from critics I can take without much problem, even though, sometimes, it's truly vicious and unjust. From fellow members of the Church? That disturbs me. Much more easily. I have a lower threshhold for it.

I, for one, am on your side and would never make a personal attack on you. If I disagreed with you on something, I would try to be civil about it and try to better understand where you are coming from. But I can't think of a time when I have actually disagreed with you. I have noticed that some posters claim membership and loyality to Mormonism, but vehemently disagree with the Church on a number of issues. I have a harder time with those people.

Posted

Hi Everyone,

I know why the mods deleted the link and my name and there was no malice behind it whatsoever. The mods here have always treated me with respect and I have done my best to return the favor.

If anyone would like to read my blog post on what I see as the absurd criticisms of Mitt Romney and Mormonism simply visit the link in my signature. I'll be posting a number of things in the coming weeks in response to some of the nonsense being put out there by critics of the LDS Church on both the left and right.

Thanks!

Seth

Posted

Anyone who wants to can easily find the blog you referred to by entering the name payne and the title of this OP. So stop whining about the quirks of this or that moderator and ask your question.

I have read the blog and found it cute and filled with irony, but find myself asking "so what?" Is there an issue you want to discuss? What disturbs you more, the disingenuous nature of American politics, or the notion of superhuman extraterrestrials in someone's mind?

If you really want to see me whine, challenge me to a game of backgammon and win. I've been called much worse, and your post made me laugh. I'm hoping that was the spirit in which it was intended. My point was really about clarification about why the title was changed and the link deleted. I'd never had that happen. No need to be nasty about it.

Part of why I participate in this board is the high level of scholarship and the enlightenment of personal views I can get from people who I would otherwise not have a chance to hear from, Seth being one, Dr. Peterson certainly being another, as well as several other posters whose posts I routinely look for.

My thoughts on Seth's blog (that were entirely deleted along with the link) were that he was speaking directly to some of the criticism I have heard from my own family and friends about my conversion…. that Mormonism is "weird", and how could I possibly join a church like that? It helps me, and I make the assumption that it helps others, to hear these points of view in gaining better insight into my own faith and belief system. I also raised the point that it makes me a little fearful of what other criticisms I'm going to have directed towards me, as a member, as Mitt Romney get's closer and eventually achieves the nomination (which I believe is likely).

My intention was NEVER to offend Seth or create negative feelings on the board.

Posted

If you really want to see me whine, challenge me to a game of backgammon and win. I've been called much worse, and your post made me laugh. I'm hoping that was the spirit in which it was intended. My point was really about clarification about why the title was changed and the link deleted. I'd never had that happen. No need to be nasty about it.

Part of why I participate in this board is the high level of scholarship and the enlightenment of personal views I can get from people who I would otherwise not have a chance to hear from, Seth being one, Dr. Peterson certainly being another, as well as several other posters whose posts I routinely look for.

My thoughts on Seth's blog (that were entirely deleted along with the link) were that he was speaking directly to some of the criticism I have heard from my own family and friends about my conversion…. that Mormonism is "weird", and how could I possibly join a church like that? It helps me, and I make the assumption that it helps others, to hear these points of view in gaining better insight into my own faith and belief system. I also raised the point that it makes me a little fearful of what other criticisms I'm going to have directed towards me, as a member, as Mitt Romney get's closer and eventually achieves the nomination (which I believe is likely).

My intention was NEVER to offend Seth or create negative feelings on the board.

No offense intended and certainly none taken. I'm very glad you enjoyed my post. I had fun writing it.

As to Robert's point: my post had nothing "special" in it but was intended to point out the irony of EVs not voting for Mitt and the hypocrisy of the left in critisizing Mormonism.

Thanks!

Seth

Posted

I don't see why the link needed to be deleted. Posters link to things all the time. And it's Seth's public blog. I think the deletion was rude. It was a good blog post. If I did something wrong, I'm not aware of it. I've posted to links before.

for what it's worth, I don't understand why your link was removed either. I have linked to quite a few articles.

Posted

for what it's worth, I don't understand why your link was removed either. I have linked to quite a few articles.

Hey guys....

There is an unseen dynamic at play here that motivated the Mods actions. It was done for my benefit and I appreciate the Moderators actions, although I am completely comfortable with this link being "out there" and I'm happy to have my name on the post .... I did write it after all.

If you want to know more details feel free to PM me but rest assured, the mods did the right thing. I promise.

Seth

Posted

Thanks for that post Seth. I completely understand now and the subject of the deleted post should just die a quiet death. Hope it gets more people to read your blog at least…. thanks for your writing. I for one appreciate it. w2k

Posted

Hey guys....

There is an unseen dynamic at play here that motivated the Mods actions. It was done for my benefit and I appreciate the Moderators actions, although I am completely comfortable with this link being "out there" and I'm happy to have my name on the post .... I did write it after all.

If you want to know more details feel free to PM me but rest assured, the mods did the right thing. I promise.

Seth

Sorry, I suppose it was none of my business.

Posted (edited)

I have had a few discussions with atheists on huffington post who claim that all religious people are insane for believing in some extraterrestrial supper human.

Insane yes, but thinking about it makes me hungry. :)

Edit: I see now that I wasn't the first wanna be comedian to try to make a joke out of this. Oh well.

Edited by Tarski
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...