Seriously No Politics ×

Amazon Kindle Fire

Answered my own questions about word documents - there are some reviews out there on different apps that work with word, excell and others. Some for a fee, others are free. Its just a matter of doing a little research and finding the right app for the price.

My wife owns the Kindle and I have the Nook Color. The biggest difference is the availability of books for the Kindle, but on the Nook side there is the access to Android applications and Wi-Fi internet. I solved part of the problem by getting Kindle on my cell phone.

Depends which Kindle you get. Mine has wi-fi. Love my kindle, because it's not back lit, your eyes don't get sore from reading. If you get the cover with the light it's great for bedtime reading. Easy to turn the page, without changing hands, light to hold, for sore joints like mine. I wouldn't bother with the new cheap kindle that they are doing in the UK (don't know if they are selling it in the US) but I'd go for the Kindle keyboard. As it's audio, plus wi-fi -takes just seconds to get a new book downloaded.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B002LVUWFE

We don't have the kindle fire here yet, so can't compare...sorry.

Edited by Somebodyz
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope they will like them as well

They tinkered with them a little bit, but I think it will take them a while to get brave enough to truly dive into them. New technology can be intimidating at first.

I hope you will like this:

<Epic Monkey Cowboy Vid>

Best thing I got for Christmas.

I got a new Kindle (just the plan old fashion kind--not even a keyboard). My husband made it sound like we would all be able to use the same Amazon account for books, but again, I am the only one with a Kindle...so maybe not.

Next weekend I will probably help the folks register them, so I guess I'll find out for sure then if they can both be on the same account and share books/movies/music.

It's definitely a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

Next weekend I will probably help the folks register them, so I guess I'll find out for sure then if they can both be on the same account and share books/movies/music.

It's definitely a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

My daughter had a basic Kindle prior to Christmas that had my Amazon account and then we got 2 new Kindle Fires for Christmas, one for her and one for myself. On mine, it shows that it's the 2nd Kindle associated with my Amazon account and my daughter put hers on her own account. So you should be able to do what you need.

For me, the Kindle Fire provides everything I need thus far, but I'm in the process of figuring it all out :)

We [whole family] love the new Kindle Fire. Browser is a bit difficult but the movies are super. We have an amazon prime account great deal 9 bucks a year, but free for a limited time with purchase, (something like that) and we have been watching Lost and playing Sudoku. It has been a great scripture reader, it is much lighter than carrying a quad, and the gospel principals manual to church etc. Once your parents get the hang of it they will love it.

Edited by Anijen

Im now going to have to look at either the NOOK or the IPAD or something else. I was totally disapointed with the Fire when I saw it at Sams Club. Its important to have a browser that works. Especially for the church website. I dunno, I may have to rethink everthing.

Does anybody know how the nook does at browsing the internet?

• 3 weeks later...

I went ahead a pulled the trigger on a Kindle Fire. Although I generally do not buy very much from Sams Club because our location has such ill-informed sales people, I was able to connect with the actual manager of the location to get some help on several things including the Kindle Fire. He answered all my questions and I have had the Kindle Fire now for about 24 hours.

My first impression is very good, I love the packaging and the quality look and feel of the Kindle Fire over others. Things that attribute the that look and feel is the 'glass to edge' screen. Also, playing a moving on the Fire is flawless especially since I am already an amazon member. The screen is very very fast and it plays movies cleaner than both of my computers, that includes a two year old lap top and most certainly my now retired (soon to be blown up and put on YouTube) Gateway desktop.

The sound on the internal speakers is just ok. It has a nice range, but does not get very loud. I purchased the most expensive ear bud headphones I could find at walmart and whoa, the sound is awesome. It uses a standard stereo mini-jack and can easily be hooked up to my computer speakers as well.

I had a lot of concerns on the browser. But trying it with a good network, such as my 12 meg network at my house, I have had no issues with the browser - much to my surprise.

I downloaded the LDS scriptures last night into the memory of the Kindle Fire. The scriptures were only 1.99! Since I needed a new set of scriptures anyways, the $200 for the fire, plus $1.99 for the scriptures was an easy choice since I now can view manuals for classes and even handbook 2 by accessing the church website while at church with the ward's own WIFI. Hotmail, Facebook, Flickr, Netflix, are all flawless on the K Fire.

I definitely recommend a carry case. Everyone was out of the leather Kindle Fire carry case, so I ended up with a $14.99 case logic case from Walmart. I think I like it better anyways! and its about half price over the other one.

Right now I use it to listen to music and play vids while on breaks at work, even read scriptures if I miss my study time in the morning!

There is nothing I dont like about the Kindle Fire, but I recommend anybody looking into it, to study up on everything first.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Kindle not the Fire. I have the complete LDS scriptures on it and I find it difficult ( to say the least) to navigate between chapters and books . It's great for reading straight through a book, but when I need to bounce around I'm frustrated.I've been planing to buy a Fire, but this navigation problem I'm having is making my think I Pad. Has anyone here used the Kindle for scripture reading? If so how do you get along with it?

I have an e-reader and they are better used for reading and not scripture chasing. I also have an i-pad and it is awesome for church. For reading books the e-reader is better then an iPad. For everything else an iPad works well, works even better once you jailbreak it. Using an iPad in direct sunlight is a no-go. Any outdoor reading and you will want an ereader with an eInk display.

One of the things I saw were several critics regarding a lack of email on the Kindle Fire. There is a free app by Kindle for email that works awesome. I can collect home teaching stats and update the secretary right from church! LOL. Also, if you create a lesson on your home word processor, you can send it to your Kindle Fire! That works great for home teaching lessons as well. Also, if you get to church early and are out in the foyer waiting for the other ward to get out of the chapel, why not go to the church website and watch a few mormon messages?! Also, when in priesthood, if there is a lesson on the church handbook two, why not look at the actual handbook two from the Kindle Fire?! I mean the list goes on and on.... Its way more than I thought it would be. One of the really great things about the fire is the size. Our secretary has the Ipad, and we use both right next to each other and he keeps telling me how amazing the fire is compared to his IPAD - I think he means that from a value standpoint and the size.

I need to get the wifi password at church. I downloaded an app that allows me to download any video from you tube and store it on the iPad. So I now have 20+ mormon messages stored on my iPad. Now that I have freed up my iPad by jailbreaking it, which isn't illegal, but Apple sure would like it to be, i can really customize to my likes and do so much more with it. I talked to a fellow member at church who has the fire and they really like it. The size is great and it is a sweet device. I wouldn' replace my iPad with one, i like the 64 gb of memory, but may buy one in the future for other family members. Love what you have and have what you love.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things I don't like about the Kindle Fire is that Amazon loves to put its own applications on your kindle fire without your permission. This not only sucks the memory out of your kindle fire, it clogs the directories with useless apps. This is a function of the Android operating system which allows certain apps to be downloaded without your permission. The most annoying one that I have on there is the "Audible Books". I may read a book, but an audible book will never ever be used by me. They have several permanent apps that are like this. After researching the subject, I am not the only one that has found this a little annoying. Apparently you can perform an android "Root" that will allow you to go into the operating system and remove the application. However, there are possible serious issues with functionality after you are finished. -1 from 10 on the kindle fire.