bluebell Posted April 29, 2011 Posted April 29, 2011 I can't sing Truth Reflects Upon our Senses because it has the same tune as the old Bluegrass song Laf is Lak a Mountn Railway. I always hear that twang. The opening notes to "Jesus once of Humble Birth" reminds me of the opening score to the movie "Poltergeist". The opening sound track has a kind of nursery rhymn/melody to it (because apparently sweet children singing softly is ominous) that kind of mirrors the opening of that song.It's horrible but i can't sing that song without thinking of that film.
Bernard Gui Posted May 1, 2011 Posted May 1, 2011 The falling minor third interval that repeats at the beginning of the hymn is sometimes called "the children's third" because it appears in children songs in many cultures. Like "nanny nanny boo boo."Bernard
volgadon Posted May 1, 2011 Posted May 1, 2011 If I hear Called to Serve one more time I'm gnawing off my other pinkie toe.You too?
Bernard Gui Posted May 1, 2011 Posted May 1, 2011 You too?The effect is cumulative. We tend to overdo a good thing. Then it becomes routine, then boring, then annoying. As a church musician, I have to keep in mind that it's new to someone or it has a special meaning for someone. Bernard
Duncan Posted May 1, 2011 Posted May 1, 2011 Totally appropriate music for sacrament: H.I say so as well, but no one listens!
volgadon Posted May 1, 2011 Posted May 1, 2011 I was sure you had your hidden vices - mine is that I like bagpipes...I love bagpipes, accordions (melodeons, bayans, concertinas, and what not), and exotic instruments like hurdy gurdies.
LDSToronto Posted May 1, 2011 Posted May 1, 2011 I love bagpipes, accordions (melodeons, bayans, concertinas, and what not), and exotic instruments like hurdy gurdies.I think the theremin is an under-utilized instrument, and would fit well with the cosmic theme of "If You Could Hie To Kolob"H.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.