Phoenix Temple Protests

Sky

any one in the Phx metro area want to counter-protest? (this is a semi-serious offer)

a few suggestion for signs:

Don't increase the attractiveness of the area!

Utah: take your temple and go to the Telestial kingdom!

Utah, you offered everything I wanted & I'm still mad!

Mormons go away: I don't want nice people in my neighborhood!

Steeple envy (draw an arrow to left or right and stand next to a protester)

Mormons, nice people lousy tippers!

I wonder what would happen if Mormons actually started showing up where new Churches are being built and volunteering their services in helping build the buildings? Wouldn't that turn some Christian heads? When people start asking - If you are Mormon, why are you here helping us build our new Church facilities? Answer, because we believe in helping and serving our community and showing respect for another person's belief and how they worship God.

Then, when those same Christians come and protest temples being built, their conscience is seared with eternal guilt

I agree. I have often thought that it would be entertaining for the Elders and Young Men to go around and clear the snow for the other churches in town.

And it is to not only be expected; but to know it will continue and only get worse as time gos on; we are the most persecuted religon on earth; hhhhmmmmmmm? i wonder why?// just cant figure it out;;;i wonder if satan has something hes afraid of? :P

Did you actually type that?

You might want to ask a friendly neighborhood Jew about persecution when you get a chance.

BTW, I support the construction of this Temple 100%

Did you actually type that?

You might want to ask a friendly neighborhood Jew about persecution when you get a chance.

BTW, I support the construction of this Temple 100%

In my opinion the Jews were not persecuted but punished for there wickedness. Just as the Bible says they would be punished if they continued to reject the Lord there God who delivered them from Egypt.

The crimes committed against them were terrible but God has a terrible wrath when his covenant people are wicked and reject him.

The LDS Church was persecuted on the sole basis of there faith in God and the restoration of the Gospel. They were chased across the nation, had houses burned, family tared and feathered, beaten, and even murdered in cold blood.

This is nothing though to the persecution of the Native Americans by the United States Government, no people were as violated and treated unfairly than the Native Americans. They were robbed and murdered so greedy men could take land that wasn't theres and claim it as there own, to bulldoze over centuries of civilization and destroy countless artifacts and culture in the name of "manifest destiny".

In my opinion the Jews were not persecuted but punished for there wickedness. Just as the Bible says they would be punished if they continued to reject the Lord there God who delivered them from Egypt.

The crimes committed against them were terrible but God has a terrible wrath when his covenant people are wicked and reject him.

The LDS Church was persecuted on the sole basis of there faith in God and the restoration of the Gospel. They were chased across the nation, had houses burned, family tared and feathered, beaten, and even murdered in cold blood.

This is nothing though to the persecution of the Native Americans by the United States Government, no people were as violated and treated unfairly than the Native Americans. They were robbed and murdered so greedy men could take land that wasn't theres and claim it as there own, to bulldoze over centuries of civilization and destroy countless artifacts and culture in the name of "manifest destiny".

I try to avoid being an English usage cop, but you did it so many times I can't resist.

The word you are looking for to indicate plural possession is "their," not "there," which is used in directions, such as "right over there."

Oh, and the concept that Hitler, Stalin, and others were instruments used by Yahweh to punish his chosen people is pretty darned creepy.

I don't think this appropriate.

I appreciate the input and understand that this is a sensitive topic, but it is purely Old Testament. God promises to protect and give Israel prosperity when they obey him and to scatter and afflict them when they are disobedient. This is a promise made by God to Israel, when they rejected the savior they were punished and when they humbled themselves they were returned to there promise land.

I am not saying that the persecution of the Jews was right or holy, only that God's promised wrath was fulfilled by the evil actions of men. It was a terrible and tragic event, but God allowed the affliction of the the Jews via the Babylonians and Romans in the past. Why would he all of a sudden change his ways just because it is the 20th Century AD instead of the the 7th Century BCE?

Oh, and the concept that Hitler, Stalin, and others were instruments used by Yahweh to punish his chosen people is pretty darned creepy.

Is it any more creepy than the fact that he allowed the Babylonians to murder, enslave, and afflict the Jews for there disobedience in the ancient times?

Hitler is not a tool of God's, neither was Stalin, nor was Nebakanezer, God simply stopped protecting the Jews from there enemies because they refused to obey God as the promised him they would.

Is it any more creepy than the fact that he allowed the Babylonians to murder, enslave, and afflict the Jews for there disobedience in the ancient times?

Hitler is not a tool of God's, neither was Stalin, nor was Nebakanezer, God simply stopped protecting the Jews from there enemies because they refused to obey God as the promised him they would.

(You're just doing it to annoy me now, aren't you?)

Anyway, keeping in mind that the accounts in the OT were written by priests, it's understandable that they would interpret anything bad that happened to their people in terms of a punishment for not being faithful enough. (Preachers still do that today. Witness Pat Robertson and others blaming homosexuality, abortion and feminism for hurricanes and terrorist attacks.) But that doesn't mean their reasoning was accurate, and it certainly doesn't give us an excuse to continue that kind of rationalization for barbarism.

In my opinion the Jews were not persecuted but punished for there wickedness. Just as the Bible says they would be punished if they continued to reject the Lord there God who delivered them from Egypt....

Since one can find scriptures that talk about how God chastises his chosen people when they are not obedient through the acts of wicked people, one could make the assumption that LDS were and are being chastised for our wickedness or slothfulness as God's servants just as you have made the claim for the Jews.

For example, D&C 68: 31Now, I, the Lord, am not well apleased with the inhabitants of Zion, for there are bidlers among them; and their cchildren are also growing up in dwickedness; they also eseek not earnestly the riches of eternity, but their eyes are full of fgreediness.

Why would he all of a sudden change his ways just because it is the 20th Century AD instead of the the 7th Century BCE?
Makes sense. Thus God is punishing the LDS when they are 'persecuted' since that is how God does things.
The coalition's newsletter stated that the group will seek to delay construction of the temple until the church decides to give up and leave the area.

Clearly the neighbors don't care about how accommodating the Church is trying to be, when it comes right down to it they don't want the temple, period! Its a shame they can't buck up and say why they really don't it around. And FYI to the coalition, if you don't want a vertically high building its gonna have to be made up with horizontal size, and that is what happened in the redesign.

I just hope the Church doesn't "give up." This same situation happened back in the early 2000s with the Harrison New York Temple, and it was never built. If we always give up, then everybody is just going to protest every temple because they know it works.

"We are going to keep protesting," he said. "Even if they go forward with building the temple, we will protest the groundbreaking, dedication ceremonies and any and every event that comes. We have neighbors who want to chain themselves to the bulldozer. We will ensure that the temple remains a sore spot with them and an example of what happens when they do not respect the concerns of the surrounding neighborhood."

What about respecting property rights, specifically the right to build on property you own?

Keep in mind that it's not just temples that arouse the concern of people in residential neighborhoods. People tend to protest any large structure. When our neighboring city announced plans to put several big stores butting up against our back yards, we and our neighbors vigorously protested at their city council meetings, citing objections to the inevitable increases in traffic, noise, light, etc. (and it didn't even include a Wal-Mart). They did it in spite of us, and we were right about everything, but we all shop there anyway.

There is truth in that statement, it seems any kind of change (expect maybe lower prices) if often controversial and sometimes heavily protested. You should pay a visit to my town, many of the citizens are trying to get a sewer system, cause we are sick of septic tanks! And it is literally tearing the town part, pinning neighbor against neighbor!

There is truth in that statement, it seems any kind of change (expect maybe lower prices) if often controversial and sometimes heavily protested. You should pay a visit to my town, many of the citizens are trying to get a sewer system, cause we are sick of septic tanks! And it is literally tearing the town part, pinning neighbor against neighbor!

A similar thing happened in a small town we lived in a few years ago.

The town is right along the interstate and also has a major railline running through it. Because of the interstate and the yellowstone river, the rail line went right through the middle of town and every street into the town had to cross it. It was a busy line too with large freight trains come through more than 5 times a day.

The problem was that the crossings for each street were not right for a city setting. It was set up for a much less busy line and one that was not crossed so often by cars.

Burlington Northern wanted to fix the crossings to make them much safer and more up to code, but the city had to share in some of the cost-to the tune of 8 dollars a tax payer. It caused a huge ruckus and eventually the city council voted against the measure.

People will protest the stupidest things sometimes or cause contention where it doesn't really have to exist.

I don't think this appropriate.

The BoM is clear by the wicked the wicked are punished.

Doesn't make the former better than the latter . . . indeed, they're probably just as likely to be far, far worse, since they're in the business of punishing people.

"We all deserve it," said Clint, and he was right.

The Jews didn't deserve the Sho'ah, and anybody claiming they did is WAY out of line. ttribe is absolutely right.

The BoM is clear by the wicked the wicked are punished.

Doesn't make the former better than the latter . . . indeed, they're probably just as likely to be far, far worse, since they're in the business of punishing people.

"We all deserve it," said Clint, and he was right.

The Jews didn't deserve the Sho'ah, and anybody claiming they did is WAY out of line. ttribe is absolutely right.

a sensitive issue yes. But I don't think ttribe is right.

we have the scriptures to that tell us what has happened and what will happen.

Archived