Seriously No Politics ×

Wise Men - Adamic Gifts

MDalby

I was talking with my wife about the wise men during Christmas Eve and had remembered something in my past about there being tradition, according to some, that the gifts were originally from Adam. I couldn't remember where I have read this tradition. Thanks to my friend the Google and Thummim, I was able to find a little snippit.

There are even traditions that the gifts the Magi gave came originally from Adam. Several early Christian pseudepigraphic books indicate that the presents the Wise Men gave to the infant Jesus had been brought by Adam from the Garden of Eden. Noah subsequently took them aboard the ark, Shem concealed them after the flood, and the Wise Men later uncovered them. In some accounts the Wise Men also found the Testament of Adam buried with the relics and read Adam

Yes, they were buried in the "Cave of Treasures", each in different a different section of the cave and referred to as "tokens" of the covenants Adam made with HF. Later supposedly the sons of Seth would visit the cave and be led to each token and receive different portions of secret knowledge at each location, as I recall.

These stories are contained in a volume called "The Forgotten Books of Eden"- I just looked for my copy and it is misplaced at the moment, so unfortunately I can't tell you more or give you a better reference, but that is a start

There are many legends about Seth which would be fascinating to LDS

Edit: found this- haven't read it yet but it might be what you are looking for

http://reluctant-messenger.com/eden_2.htm

Edit 2: The part you are looking for starts in Chapter VIII verse 9

9 "0 Seth, my son, the moment I am dead take ye my body and wind it up with myrrh, aloes, and cassia, and leave me here in this Cave of Treasures in which are all these tokens which God gave us from the garden.

Well I think you will find what you are looking for in the above reference, but this is a link to where the entire volume might be purchased on Amazon; I am positive I got the story right about walking around the Cave of Treasures, but couldn't find it in this section, though I just skimmmed it- but the gold frankincense and myrrh are there in the section I referenced.

Oh and I did not get the full title correct above:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0529033852/reluctantmess-20

I just saw an ABC News piece about an ancient transcript that was recently translated that purports to be the record of the Magi. Apparently, they claim to be sons of Adam through his son Seth and come from China. Sounds kinda similar to what you are talking about.

Here's a link to that story.

Thanks

I especially like the implication of dispensations of the savior's message.

I have kind of been a fan of the Magi and have read quite a bit about them over the years.

Gentlemen and Friends

You have touched on a most interesting and fascinating subject....The 3 wise men....

We tend to leave it on a shelf that we have been taught and indeed count on the Restoration of all things, in this the Dispensation of the Fulness of Times...having the Church is great...but who, what , when and where dose the fullness of this Theseus come in ....We sing the spirit of God like a Fire is burning

The Spirit of God like a fire is burning;

The latter day glory begins to come forth;

The visions and blessings of old are returning;

The angels are coming to visit the earth.

And then we wait for our leaders to direct us and wait and wait and wait....When we awaken to this hymn of gloray... we shall see the visions and blessings... and though our leaders may consolidate and bear the banner over us.... we shall all be as equals and one before the Lord each knowing all that the other is privy to...

Give me a second we will be on subject of the wise men in just a second...

Joseph Smith had this to say...on this subject:

Joseph Smith said in 1839: "God hath not revealed anything to Joseph [calling himself by name], but what He will make known unto the Twelve, and even the least Saint may know all things as fast as he is able to bear them." Even the least saint, I repeat. The Prophet continued: "For the day must come when no man need say to his neighbor, Know ye the Lord; for all shall know Him (who remain) from the least to the greatest." (TPJS, 149).

Do ye not remember that I said unto you that after ye had received the Holy Ghost ye could speak with the tongue of angels? And now, how could ye speak with the tongue of angels save it were by the Holy Ghost?

The weak things of the world shall come forth and break down the mighty and strong ones, that man should not counsel his fellow man, neither trust in the arm of flesh

22456807-Book-of-Abraham-vi.pdf

Yes, they were buried in the "Cave of Treasures", each in different a different section of the cave and referred to as "tokens" of the covenants Adam made with HF. Later supposedly the sons of Seth would visit the cave and be led to each token and receive different portions of secret knowledge at each location, as I recall.

These stories are contained in a volume called "The Forgotten Books of Eden"- I just looked for my copy and it is misplaced at the moment, so unfortunately I can't tell you more or give you a better reference, but that is a start

There are many legends about Seth which would be fascinating to LDS

Edit: found this- haven't read it yet but it might be what you are looking for

http://reluctant-messenger.com/eden_2.htm

Edit 2: The part you are looking for starts in Chapter VIII verse 9

Thanks, this is what I was referring to. I have this in my library.

MD

This is the kind of story that is sure to satisfy people's taste for superstition :P I heard a similar one about how the staff of Moses was originally given to Adam and was used by all the patriarchal prophets etc...

I really don't see how this kind of stories can promote faith in Christ... Not my cup of tea.

A chain midrash, rather than something to satisfy a taste for superstition. These are meant to link scriptural events to each other. Why these should be linked is an important question, shedding much light on the interpretation of scripture and religious beliefs.

This is the kind of story that is sure to satisfy people's taste for superstition ;) I heard a similar one about how the staff of Moses was originally given to Adam and was used by all the patriarchal prophets etc...

I really don't see how this kind of stories can promote faith in Christ... Not my cup of tea.

It was later made into the cane President Hinckley used :P

I just saw an ABC News piece about an ancient transcript that was recently translated that purports to be the record of the Magi. Apparently, they claim to be sons of Adam through his son Seth and come from China. Sounds kinda similar to what you are talking about.

So they are just like every other man who has lived since the flood?

That was excellent. Thank you for the link to the prior post.

MD

If you're looking for an interesting study into the subject, I recommend Margaret Barker's Christmas: The Original Story.

LDS Scholar David Larsen's review of Barker might be worth checking out.

http://www.heavenlyascents.com/2008/12/27/christmas-the-original-story/

http://www.heavenlyascents.com/2008/12/30/christmas-the-original-story-part-2/

Larsen notes:

What Margaret Barker has come up with in her research on the wise men turns my previous notions of them on their head. The way the wise men are generally depicted are as three kings who come from afar in the East

Thanks, this is what I was referring to. I have this in my library.

MD

No problem- it was fun to re-read it!

The "Christmas Star" is another story which is of course linked to the magi.

I find it peculiar that prophecies about its appearance are found nowhere in the Bible- and yet such prophecies about the coming savior are found in the Zoroastrian tradition- a tradition which also awaited a savior.

The only other place we find such a prophecy is in the Book of Mormon.

So where's the connection here?

The "Christmas Star" is another story which is of course linked to the magi.

I find it peculiar that prophecies about its appearance are found nowhere in the Bible- and yet such prophecies about the coming savior are found in the Zoroastrian tradition- a tradition which also awaited a savior.

The only other place we find such a prophecy is in the Book of Mormon.

So where's the connection here?

It is interesting that the Nephites did have prophecies on the appearence of the star.

It's also interesting that Nephi, Lehi, and Samuel mysteriously vanished several years before it appears.

Archived