Quetzalqoatl as Jesus

StuddleyG

When I was little I remember reading about the God Quetzalcoatl legends being evidence for Jesus in America. My parents also had and old book contained old native american legends that were argued to point to Christ. McKonkie in Mormon Doctrine makes the comparison between Quetzalcoatl and Christ. I don't see anybody anywhere anymore suggesting that Quetzalcoatl is derived from Christ. Is this argument long dead and insignificant now?

When I was little I remember reading about the God Quetzalcoatl legends being evidence for Jesus in America. My parents also had and old book contained old native american legends that were argued to point to Christ. McKonkie in Mormon Doctrine makes the comparison between Quetzalcoatl and Christ. I don't see anybody anywhere anymore suggesting that Quetzalcoatl is derived from Christ. Is this argument long dead and insignificant now?

I have not heard of any one talking this theory seriously since my mission. And that was over 10 years ago. I have read some of the thoeries and I was never convinded that it was a sound thoery.

I think someone mentioned it when I was in Utah. Trying to remember who. They remarked how significant it was that multiple cultures had stories of a "great white God" and mistaking explorers as gods. Over time, the story would have changed a lot, like a game of telephone.

I think this has pretty much been proven false, but at the moment I can't remember why.

A dead argument? Both Christ and Quetzalqoatl have power over death. The argument has the power to raise itself from the dead! :P

And yes, I think it is fairly dead. Perhaps there is some small link where aspects of one merged with another, similar to the ascension of Isis in Near Eastern thought, whose growth was accomplished by culturally cannabilizing both lesser deities and even the deeds of real persons so that all were encompassed by her. Either way, a direct link is untenable.

The book you are probably referring to is "He Walked the Americas" by L. Taylor Hansen. I have heard that her academic credentials (or other things) have been questioned or discredited. Sorry, I do not know the specifics.

Brant Gardner would probably be able to shed light on both the L. Taylor Hansen thing as well as the Quetzalcoatl connection. IIRC, Brant does not see a direct connection between Quetzalcoatl and Jesus. While there are some similarities of attributes between the two, there are also various differences in which they are unlike one another.

I'm remember that it was discussed quite a bit on my mission in Guatemala. I also vaguely remember a film strip we would show to investigators that mentioned it. I remember briefly looking into it a bit after my mission and finding that things didn't quite add up.

I also remember stories about some white or fair skinned god that the indigenous Americans believed would sometime return and that they mistoke the Spanish for.

But I'll admit, I don't trust my memory.

my history books in middle school - S.E. Texas - taught that the Spanish had such an easy go because the native believed the Spaniards were gods.

I think Brant Gardner's work on Quetzalcoatl and Jesus, in Sunstone, and, more recently, the lengthy (40+ pages) essay in Vol. 5 of *Second Witness* analysis of Quetzalcoatl legends shows that the long-standing argument by many LDS apologists to be dead in the water.

Are there evidences for the Book of Mormon? Yes. Is Quetzalcoatl evidence? Nope.

I don't agree with the Quetzalcoatl bashing current in LDS scholarship now, namely by Brant Gardner.

Of course, I completely agree that they aren't the same person (especially when one doesn't even exist anyway, haa haa), but that is different from there not being cross parallels and the legends having mixed together.

I find it clear that the legends mixed, and thus find that the need people have to say Quetzalcoatl "is not evidence" of Christ being in the America's unnecessary. Of course we know they aren't the same, but that doesn't mean we need to throw the baby out with the bath water. There are many legends of the Great White God in the America's, just because basically all of them don't fully match Christ doesn't mean there is "no relation".

Brant Gardner has, in my view, effectively put this question to rest barring some remarkable and unlikely future discovery. You can check out his arguments here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071223085449/frontpage2000.nmia.com/~nahualli/LDStopics/DigQ/DigQ+TOC.htm

There you go.

That's the one I was thinking of! Thanks!

If I recall, the Quetzalcoatl argument was most publicly pronounced by Elder Legrand Richards in his monumentally popular book "A Marvelous Work and a Wonder". Now that that book has been downplayed by the Church (eg it's no longer in the approved missionary library), I suspect future generations of LDS won't even be familiar with the myth.

There are several references to Quetzalcoatl in Church publications and talks on the Church website, so if one were to study it there, it would be easy to believe that the Quetzalcoatl myth is an evidence of Jesus' visit to the Americas.

If I recall, the Quetzalcoatl argument was most publicly pronounced by Elder Legrand Richards in his monumentally popular book "A Marvelous Work and a Wonder". Now that that book has been downplayed by the Church (eg it's no longer in the approved missionary library), I suspect future generations of LDS won't even be familiar with the myth.

There are several references to Quetzalcoatl in Church publications and talks on the Church website, so if one were to study it there, it would be easy to believe that the Quetzalcoatl myth is an evidence of Jesus' visit to the Americas.

It's not a particularly insidious teaching, unlike our old child sacrifices endorsed in

a Marvelous Work and a Wonder. It was never a key principle of the gospel or an article of faith. Certain people who fixate on such trivia might be tripped up, though. I'm reminded of Cinepro's 14th article of faith: "If a church leader said it at any time, or members of the church believed it at any time, it must needs stand for all time, lest we mock or stumble." Or better yet:

D&C 1

24 Behold, I am God and have spoken it; these commandments are of me, and were given unto my servants in their weakness, after the manner of their language, that they might come to understanding.

25 And inasmuch as they erred it might be made known;

26 And inasmuch as they sought wisdom they might be instructed...

Archived