Seriously No Politics ×

The Apostate Myth Of Mormon Apologetics

The Apostate Myth of Mormon Apologetics

Mormon apologetics, as exemplified by the publications of the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship, is typified by ad hominem attacks masking shoddy scholarship.

I assert that neither Dan Peterson, nor the Mormon Studies Review (and its predecessors) are guilty of the allegation implicit in the Apostate Myth of Mormon Apologetics (henceforth "AMMA"). This myth consists of the notion that Mormon apologetics, as exemplified by the publications of the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship, is typified by ad hominem attacks masking shoddy scholarship.

The AMMA was cultivated over a period of many years, and came to full fruition in the late spring of 2012.

I throw out a challenge to all its believers to demonstrate actual examples of the AMMA from Maxwell Institute publications.

Hey, don't lump us all together :)

I would never accuse the (former) MI team of shoddy scholarship. And believe a strong and reasoned response to critics is something to be admired.

Mormon apologetics, as exemplified by the publications of the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship, is typified by ad hominem attacks masking shoddy scholarship.

I assert that neither Dan Peterson, nor the Mormon Studies Review (and its predecessors) are guilty of the allegation implicit in the Apostate Myth of Mormon Apologetics (henceforth "AMMA"). This myth consists of the notion that Mormon apologetics, as exemplified by the publications of the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship, is typified by ad hominem attacks masking shoddy scholarship.

The AMMA was cultivated over a period of many years, and came to full fruition in the late spring of 2012.

I throw out a challenge to all its believers to demonstrate actual examples of the AMMA from Maxwell Institute publications.

a few weeks ago you posted.

William Schryver, on 10 May 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

As Scott averred above, I also am not aware of any significant use of "ad hominem and antagonistic rhetoric" in either FAIR or MI publications. It is a myth, propounded by those whose primary objective is to silence the voice of those attempting to defend the restored gospel against the attacks of its detractors.

I noted before, and you did not challenge, that you are acknowledging the use of "ad hominem and antagonistic rhetoric" in FAIR and MI publications. It is just that you do not see the use as "significant". I suppose it is up to you to show that critics hold fast to the notion that Mormon Apologetics is typified by ad hominem attacks masking shoddy scholarship.

Though it appears from your own words and from a report in SLTrib that there was use of personnel attacks by Apologetics.

Salt Lake Tribune:

Review writers responded to critics’ allegations by ... sometimes writing scathing and often personal attacks on those who challenged LDS origins. It was, [the Review writers] believed, the essence of apologetics.

Edited by treehugger

hear is what you posted a few weeks ago.

I noted before, and you did not challenge, that you are acknowledging the use of "ad hominem and antagonistic rhetoric" in FAIR and MI publications. It is just that you do not see the use as "significant". I suppose it is up to you to show that critics hold fast to the notion that Mormon Apologetics is typified by ad hominem attacks masking shoddy scholarship.

Though it appears from your own words and from a report in SLTrib that there was use of personnel attacks by Apologetics.

Salt Lake Tribune:

Review writers responded to critics’ allegations by ... sometimes writing scathing and often personal attacks on those who challenged LDS origins. It was, [the Review writers] believed, the essence of apologetics.

Yes, the Tribune uncritically restated the Apostate Myth of Mormon Apologetics.

I challenge you to demonstrate actual examples of the AMMA from Maxwell Institute publications. Right now I'm going to shower and get dressed and head up to the fabulous annual Groovefest music festival in Cedar City. I'll look forward to seeing your long list of MI personal attacks when I return later ...

Edited by William Schryver

This seems to me to have been the de facto motto of the Neal A. Maxwell Institute of Religious Scholarship (NAMIRS):

Though argument does not create conviction, lack of it destroys belief. What seems to be proved may not be embraced; but what no one shows the ability to defend is quickly abandoned. Rational argument does not create belief, but it maintains a climate in which belief may flourish. Austin Farrer

Edited by Robert F. Smith

I would guess that most of your qualified respondants are banned from this site.

I challenge you to demonstrate actual examples of the AMMA from Maxwell Institute publications. Right now I'm going to shower and get dressed and head up to the fabulous annual Groovefest music festival in Cedar City. I'll look forward to seeing your long list of MI personal attacks when I return later ...

Read your own words William.

William Schryver, on 10 May 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

As Scott averred above, I also am not aware of any significant use of "ad hominem and antagonistic rhetoric" in either FAIR or MI publications. It is a myth, propounded by those whose primary objective is to silence the voice of those attempting to defend the restored gospel against the attacks of its detractors.

You admitted that you personally have read and seen the ad hominem in both MI and FAIR.

This seems to me to have been the de facto motto of the Neal A. Maxwell Institute of Religious Scholarship (NAMIRS):

Though argument does not create conviction, lack of it destroys belief. What seems to be proved may not be embraced; but what no one shows the ability to defend is quickly abandoned. Rational argument does not create belief, but it maintains a climate in which belief may flourish. Austin Farrer

EXACTLY

I would guess that most of your qualified respondants are banned from this site.

It's funny that when asked to give specific examples of ad hominem in the apologetic writings of the Review, the apostate critics invariably are silenced by the chirping of crickets.

It's funny that when asked to give specific examples of ad hominem in the apologetic writings of the Review, the apostate critics invariably are silenced by the chirping of crickets.

Like I said, I suspect most who make that claim are unable to respond to the challenge here. Hence the crickets. Unless you want cross-board referencing.

I am surprised Daniel Peterson was let go. This only gives ammo to the church critics. It had nothing to do with poor scholarship, but that's what the critics will say. Daniel Peterson was a lightning rod for their anger. He drove the anti-mormons crazy. How is that a bad thing? I am worried that the church's new direction is to be more accommodating to the anti-mormon position. I feel like we are at war and the politicians have removed one of our most effective generals from the battle field. What are they thinking?

Edited by Defender

I would like to see an example where FARMS scholarship is "laughed at" or not considered credible in academic circles. I hear this all the time but my anecdotal experience, and what I've read says the opposite.

Edited by morgan.deane

The problem is your charecerization of what you think the critics say is as one dimesional as those few who do claim this. Neither are truth. Fact is there FARMS gave some great, some good, some mediocre and some very bad apologetics. There were and has been ad hominem atttacks at times and some shoddy schcolarship. There has been some very good scholarship as well. It is a mixed bag.

I'm not going to say that "Mormon apologetics, as exemplified by the publications of the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship is typified by ad hominem attacks masking shoddy scholarship" because I don't think it's true. I do wonder, though, why you imply in the title that anyone who thinks this is the current state of Mormon apologetics is an apostate.

Edited by mapman

I am worried that the church's new direction is to be more accommodating to the anti-mormon position.

Not your place to steady the ark.

I feel like we are at war and the politicians have removed one of our most effective generals from the battle field. What are they thinking?

Oh, come ooonnnnnn......

The most effective generals we have sit in the chuch office building, holding keys and priesthood.

I'm afraid there's a little idolizing going on here. Rock-star status and all.

Edited by Senator

It's onboard the ark, is it not?

No. Not even close.

Perhaps funded by the tithes and offerings of people who belong to the covenant represented by the ark.