What is Spiritual Rebirth?

MacKenzieM

Hello Saints,

I have been reading out of this book that was recommended to me by my sister, called Putting On Christ. I bought a copy on Amazon. I have never heard of this concept of spiritual rebirth before. Is anyone familiar with this or has experienced a spiritual rebirth themselves? The author likens it to a near death experience where you are overwhelmed with a profound and perfect knowledge that God exists. Sounds very intense but unlike anything I have ever experienced. Thanks!

Please give us the full title of the book and the name of the author.  Thanks.

43 minutes ago, MacKenzieM said:

Hello Saints,

I have been reading out of this book that was recommended to me by my sister, called Putting On Christ. I bought a copy on Amazon. I have never heard of this concept of spiritual rebirth before. Is anyone familiar with this or has experienced a spiritual rebirth themselves? The author likens it to a near death experience where you are overwhelmed with a profound and perfect knowledge that God exists. Sounds very intense but unlike anything I have ever experienced. Thanks!

Does the author consider spiritual rebirth to be something different than being "born again" (which the scriptures talk about often)?   In my mind both phrases mean the same thing but it sounds like, from the description of the book, that that's not the perspective of the author of the book.

The Book of Mormon prophet Enos, who lived before the coming of Christ, describes his spiritual rebirth this way:

Enos 1:4-8

4 And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens.

5 And there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed.

6 And I, Enos, knew that God could not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away.

7 And I said: Lord, how is it done?

8 And he said unto me: Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard nor seen. And many years pass away before he shall manifest himself in the flesh; wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made thee whole.

Alma, whose father was a great prophet among some of the people in the Book of Mormon but who, himself, was wicked before his own mighty change of heart, describes his experience this way:

Alma 37:16-21

16 And now, for three days and for three nights was I racked, even with the pains of a damned soul.

17 And it came to pass that as I was thus racked with torment, while I was harrowed up by the memory of my many sins, behold, I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world.

18 Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.

19 And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.

20 And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain!

21 Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy.

Alma’s father, also named Alma, describes the mighty change of heart this way:

Alma 5

26 And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?

27 Have ye walked, keeping yourselves blameless before God? Could ye say, if ye were called to die atthis time, within yourselves, that ye have been sufficiently humble? That your garments have been cleansed and made white through the blood of Christ, who will come to redeem his people from their sins?

28 Behold, are ye stripped of pride? I say unto you, if ye are not ye are not prepared to meet God. Behold ye must prepare quickly; for the kingdom of heaven is soon at hand, and such an one hath not eternal life.

Benjamin, a prophet-king who lived before Christ came to the people on this continent in the Book of Mormon, described the process of spiritual rebirth this way:

Mosiah 3:19

19 For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.

A couple of chapters after that, after having delivered a sermon that includes many of the ideas discussed in the foregoing verse, King Benjamin asked his people what they thought about what he had taught. They described their reaction this way:

Mosiah 5

1 And now, it came to pass that when king Benjamin had thus spoken to his people, he sent among them, desiring to know of his people if they believed the words which he had spoken unto them.

2 And they all cried with one voice, saying: Yea, we believe all the words which thou hast spoken unto us; and also, we know of their surety and truth, because of the Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, which has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually.

3 And we, ourselves, also, through the infinite goodness of God, and the manifestations of his Spirit, have great views of that which is to come; and were it expedient, we could prophesy of all things.

4 And it is the faith which we have had on the things which our king has spoken unto us that has brought us to this great knowledge, whereby we do rejoice with such exceedingly great joy.

5 And we are willing to enter into a covenant with our God to do his will, and to be obedient to his commandments in all things that he shall command us, all the remainder of our days, that we may not bring upon ourselves a never-ending torment, as has been spoken by the angel, that we may not drink out of the cup of the wrath of God.

Moroni, the final prophet to write in the Book of Mormon, describes the process of spiritual rebirth this way:

Moroni 10

32 Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.

33 And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye sanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot.

There are, of course, many Bible passages that speak of spiritual rebirth, as well.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the Board. :)

2 hours ago, MacKenzieM said:

Hello Saints,

One of my best friends growing up started hanging out with the wrong crowd around 17 years old. He has a very addictive personality and all it took was one time of trying heroin and he was hooked. He lost his family, most of his friends, bank accounts,  started stealing small items from my house, I bailed him out of jail twice. He worked for me off and on for ten years coming and going when he needed money. He got his long time girlfriend pregnant probably when he was at one of the worst points in his life and the pregnancy just sent him even further down.  But the second his daughter was born his whole demeanor changed. Both me and his mom saw the change right there in the room when we went in to meet the baby. He even looked physically different, almost like a weight was lifted and it showed on his face. He absolutely had a spiritual rebirth.  At 32 he went to college for computer programming and started going to church again.  At 37 started his own business building websites. As far as I know he's never relapsed and we talk almost daily. He's one of the most caring and understanding individuals I have ever met and mostly because of all the stuff he went through. This story is the first thing I thought of when you asked your question.