Byu Slido Incident---anonymous Racism

https://www.ksl.com/article/46714966/byu-investigates-after-racist-anonymous-comments-flood-race-and-immigration-panel

Hopefully in the future they will use apps that track to discourage this kind of cowardly attacks.

The university held a panel about race and immigration as a part of its Black History Month events, according to a schedule posted online. It followed a similar panel BYU’s Black-Latino Alliance held earlier that kicked off a slate of events on campus last week.

People submitted questions for the panel anonymously through the app Slido, according to tweets from a student who attended the event, Grace Soelberg. The questions didn’t just appear to panel members, but also anyone in the crowd.

Soelberg included screenshots of the questions asked, which included some that questioned Black History Month and others that dove into racial stereotypes.

The university issued a statement about the incident late Friday morning. Officials tweeted they were aware of the incident and that faculty members who oversaw the event were compiling a report to be sent to university administrators. However, since the comments were submitted anonymously through a third-party app, officials said they were unable to see who sent the questions or if those who sent the questions were students.

“We reaffirm BYU’s stance of condemning racism in any form. We are committed to promoting a culture of safety, kindness, respect and love," officials said, adding that they support the stance of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which sponsors the university.

"White supremacist attitudes are morally wrong and sinful, and we condemn them. Church members who promote or pursue a 'white culture' or white supremacy agenda are not in harmony with the teachings of the Church," university officials tweeted, quoting an earlier statement from the church.

The university had previously tweeted the second half of that statement in November after people reported they had found stickers and posters promoting a white supremacist group at the university’s campus.

Officials added that any student who witnesses or experiences racism or white supremacy at the campus is encouraged to call the Dean of Students Office at 801-422-2731, or University Police at 801-422-2222 if there’s an immediate safety risk.

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1

The questions listed as examples appeared fairly tame to me, and the Panel might have been a good place to address those questions.  Put me on the Panel and I would not have hesitated to answer them in a reasonable way.  For example, the question of what percentage of African Americans are on food stamps might have been answered by pointing out that Caucasians are by far and away the largest recipients of Food Stamps.  Most people just don't know that the greatest number of people on welfare are white folk.  I have personally assisted white folk in my ward who needed free food by driving them down to the Bishop's Storehouse in Lindon to pick of loads of food, and I saw the family thrive and develop in a way that made it all worth it.  We are a community that helps each other.

Concern about imaginary micro-agressions is so overplayed.  Sincerity becomes an agression.  Kindness becomes an agression.  People need to use common sense.  Graciousness and good manners may seem old hat, but it is so important, and misinterpreting everything will get us nowhere.

I marched with Dr King's Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) back in the Civil Rights era, and I cried all day long when he was gunned down.  What we have now is a betrayal of his dream of an America in which people are judged by the content of their character and not on the color of their skin.  He would never have approved of automatically condemning white folk for "white privilege."  We need a color-blind society.

• Like 3

I am going to have the thread locked if we get into another discussion about the existence of white privilege, see it as off topics since there was a substantial discussion about it just recently.  This is a simple news report.

Anyone can comment on BYU’s reaction if they want.

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1

Those are the type of questions that young people should be asking much earlier and talking about, if not in school, then at least at homes with their parents.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, had no idea BYU here was like this at all, I always assumed that outside of BYUH it was well, WASP heavy.  I have to ask, what caused the switch?  I used to visit provo when I was dating an Asian member of the church and well, we kinda stuck with her friends because it was just easier.  Have things changed there that much?  I know SLC has a big Polynesian presence now but I assumed the WASPs' still ran the show so to speak.

Here's the problem, depending on the software and if they used a WiFi hotspot, good luck tracking them down.  I'm sure with the right resources it can be done but it's not easy.  Not so much the trolls but people who do things where they don't want to be traced/make it as hard as possible use burner phones, etc. 

Would it be possible to link said apps to church tech/software?  I know a lot of your guys stuff requires a login, would think BYU could do more to control that kind of behavior that way.  Another idea, if they ever catch people like that in the act give them the choice of expulsion or mandatory diversity classes that include community service.  I like the idea of sending them to any one of the impoverished reservations, diverse inner cities or my personal fav, make em help out at a local pride event.  What a great way to help show the world that while the church doesn't allow gay marriage within their temples they still love all as Gods children, as their beliefs state they do.  I think that's fair.