Lawyers

Not a lawyer, just a retired cop. There is an old  saying, “no one (or is it “everyone”) hates a lawyer, until they need one”. I have worked with many lawyers and solicitors that have helped me with the many crimes, that I have charged others with, and the subsequent trails, or settlements agreed upon. Most have been of great help, and others a torn (or is it spelled “thorn”) in my side. But what I have found, is when it comes to publishing (for me technical issues with my training in vo-tech and College), for you Law School, and Law Journals , it helps to find a topic, or an approach to a topic, in a way that others have never thought of, or even considered. This is what will make you stand out, Also, don’t become too disappointed at rejections, just keep trying. Also do not do so, to much that you become a thorn in “their sides”. In short don’t keep trying every month, or quarter, sending the same draft, or topic that has been rejected each time. My final bit of advice, be honest and straightforward , and seek out the help or review from those who have the gift of writing. In other words, find friends or family who majored in English Literature. Once they have finished, take criticism well, and once they have finished their review, seek out others, who have the same training or talent, to review again the final draft. Then review it again, to insure they did not write out the issues of Law, that is your training and talent. 

Not sure if you wanted the imput of someone without a Law Degree, if not forgive the intrusion, and if not an intrusion, I hope my advice helps. Anyway, best of luck, as I can tell this is important to you.

Your Brother, 

Papa

Start with your state's bar journal.    In today's world, I'd not count on the peer reviewed journals (too few, too slanted toward the establishment and contacts within).    I'd publish sound material (with co authors in some cases, having be well edited and reviewed by those you admire who were willing to do so), and emailed to others expert in my field (maybe in a format that allowed them to quote it)?   Link it in the practice newsletter,  I published monthly.   Give training (get CLE credits and don't charge much and do it online on demand and you can make a fair amount and become known as someone who knows stuff.   If you are not on the bar referral lists, that is another way to get out there.

And many volunteer to give a presentation at a conference on the area of practice.